Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulcan to the Sky)
    it wasn't awful......... it was ******* horrendous

The thug Shawcross should not be allowed to play football ever again. To me he's akin to a drunk driver
    A nice, reasonable, cool response.....

..... not said when passions are running high.

ReputationRep:
    People are saying that if Ramsey hadn't been injured, both would have probably been booked because of the way they went in for the tackle.

ReputationRep:
    But however dark it gets, we and every Gooner needs to push the team on... they need to be strong... Mighty as Overmars says, and win this league.

God knows we ******* deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    I don't know why but I feel like that as well. He just looked horrified at what he'd done, knowing he's going to get demolished for an accident.

But then again, if you're going to go in like that, you have to suffer the consequences. People should know that poor tackles aren't things like poor shots or a poor pass, it can ruin careers
    I suppose. But you can't make yourself a better player can you? Just because you don't want to hurt someone? And you can't not put your all in during a big match, or any match for that matter, when you're a professional.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal still won't get on first game on MoD though.. They will have a lot to talk about though, and I would love to see the answer Hansen has if asked if he thinks Arsenal have a chance now

ReputationRep:
    I, too, am sympathetic towards Shawcross; measurably so than I was towards Taylor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I am really really upset by what happened to Aaron today.

It is symptomatic of a real problem we've been shouting about for ages, as has Arsene.... with teams kicking us, going in brutally and frankly... it is beyond the time for some action to be taken.

Fair enough he didn't mean it, and was sorry, but it's reckless and nasty crap that overshadows all the good things we could have celebrated today.

Now I am left more wanting to cry than cheer. What a dark day.

I hope the best for Aaron, and that he can bounce back next season and be the awesome player he can be.
    There's nothing you can do about it. It's just what it is. There are a lot of teams that rely on bullying and rough tackling and it's part of the game. I don't want Arsenal fans to be assuming a victim complex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Hmmm, no sign of that Ryan Shawcross member...
    I don't think he would show his face in here tbh. The backlash wouldn't be nice to see :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Don't really know what you can say. I don't blame Shawcross, I don't blame Pulis. I blame the FA and referees. I've said for ages that it's time we stop crying about ugly challenges and start breaking legs ourselves...and people think I'm not being serious. This will keep on happening. Diaby, first. Then it was Eduardo. Now it's Ramsey. Next it'll be Fabregas or Song. There is no incentives for Martin Taylor's and Ryan Shawcross' to not break legs. Do I think he intended to break Ramsey's leg? Of course not. But I think he was trying to do what Stoke were doing all game -- 'roughen Arsenal up', and with that there's a risk this will happen. Cesc's interview was spot on. He said he understands that this is England and the English game involves physical battles, but there should be a ceiling. There isn't a ceiling. Players can do whatever the **** they want. And it's time we start doing the same. If we want to stop getting kicked, we have to kick back. ****in' simples.

Anyway, great character from the lads.

The way 07/08 was supposed to end.

We're ****ing doing this.

Come on the mighty gunners.
    This. Too long now the FA have done nothing because the players are GELs. It's not about the intent it's about not going diving into a tackle at that height.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    Psychologically I'd go so far as to say that today is the chance to exorcise the ghost of Birmingham. Lose or draw and we're just the same old Arsenal. Win and we might grow up. We might just realise we can actually do this, just as a couple of years back we started to think we couldn't.
    Normally, I'm joking around a bit and taking the piss. Right now I don't know how I'm sitting here writing at all, but I feel compelled to, even if it may come across as melodramatic. One thing I hope you guys and gals can be sure of is this comes from the heart. God knows all too often there's enough skirting around that on here and right now some human introspection is arguably called for.

The above quote from earlier on it sadly appears now has more than a little tragic prescience to it. We all know what happened to Aaron.

The Birmingham match had a profound effect on everyone involved at the football club. Titles may indeed be won and lost by results of the day but more importantly they are a team of human beings just like any of us. Injuries are a fact of life to an extent but now and again more severe ones happen which likewise elicit quite human responses. To see a friend, a part of that team, in such awful pain hurts. That is why I have always looked down on those accusing Gallas for his feelings towards the end of that match - he had himself already been to a funeral within two days of that game and was committing the crime of acting like a human being after seeing a friend butchered. In short, sometimes football really is so, so unimportant.

Today we've experienced something similar again. I can say I responded in a way I was most shocked to see - I am sitting here genuinely in a state of some physical shock, and besides having cried my eyes out at one or two points still feel extremely shaky and sick. But how does that relate to Birmingham, to the match today, to the game we care about so much and yet realise is still so secondary? Simple really - today we saw a human equation come to the fore. And in my sixteen years as an Arsenal supporter never, ever, ever have I been so proud to have anyone represent our football club than those guys.

Seems quite strange in a way that so often I have accused them of not being able to grow up, and rather arrogantly have compared myself to them saying I could do this, I could do that. Well, I may not have some crumble pie tonight but am certainly prepared to enjoy its humble counterpart.

Two years ago they faced a situation all too similar and folded. Folded in a way hardly anyone to attach blame to either. A tragic accident begets tragic circumstances in so many things. Today they faced it again - with so many creepy signatures of destiny about the day itself present - and did not fold. I sat there like a berk bawling and didn't care about the game anymore. I couldn't care less and just wanted it to finish so I could sit quietly. Football was unimportant. I was very human . . . and very the Arsenal of Birmingham. I had my priorities and stuck to them. Today however these lads kept going, and to my mind grew up as people as well as footballers. How they managed to stabilise themselves mentally amidst all that with the reminders of the day present I will never know, and admit I have much to learn from them as a result.

So, where do we stand?

Well, to go back to that earlier quote, the match at Birmingham has I believe now been exorcised, but in a way I had not considered either likely or anything but cruel. One could also say that it hasn't, that it has simply happened again. The one major difference in terms of how this team will grow is they did not let their heads go. They won. And to my mind that puts Birmingham to rest.

This has been the most emotional day as an Arsenal supporter I have ever experienced. I am still quite shocked as to why it has affected me so much, and am not entirely sure if I understand why it should have done. Injuries happen. The string of coincidences surrounding it probably constitute a big part.

As for the end of the season? Let's go back to Birmingham again, one last time. We've all asked ourselves the question over and over again what would have happened had we won that day.

In my honest opinion, we will now find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    A nice, reasonable, cool response.....

..... not said when passions are running high.

3rd time this has happened to Arsenal, as arsene said also said, i don;t believe in coincidences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulcan to the Sky)
    3rd time this has happened to Arsenal, as arsene said also said, i don;t believe in coincidences
    **** happens.

ReputationRep:
    We've lost Diaby, Eduardo, Rosicky, Van Persie, and now Ramsey.

But with each criminal tackle and each year-long injury, we've grown up as a team.

And this can't mean anything else: we're going to win the league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    Why? Shawcross will miss 3 games, Ramsey's career prospects just took a nosedive. I'm not trying to paint Shawcross a villain here but seriously??
    (Original post by Harry-AA)
    Because I was just listening to radio 5 live, and they were talking to random arsenal fans on air. They seriously, seriously believed it was intentional, that Shawcross had a malicious streak in him that wanted to cause injury. It's the sort of thing that'll stick with him, when it actually did seem entirely unintentional.

The shock that he displayed tells me it'll take him a while to come to terms with what he's done, and it'll be even worse if he has just ended Ramsey's career. He'll think twice about every tackle he makes, he'll go into every 50-50 fearing that he'll mistime it. I think he's really, really unlucky, and I'd be surprised if he, just like Ramsey recovers enough to play as well as he did before today's events.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    There's nothing you can do about it. It's just what it is. There are a lot of teams that rely on bullying and rough tackling and it's part of the game. I don't want Arsenal fans to be assuming a victim complex.
    How can we not? I don't see it happening to other teams even close to as much as it happens to us...

I am sick and tired of it. A young man's career may have been irreperably damaged by something and someone so stupid as to take on a philosophy and not recognise the consequences of their 'footballing' ideology... Of course he didn't want to break a leg, but he did, and must live with the horror.

We need to acknowledge that we are victims, and like any good victim, bounce back and use the rage to drive on and win in our own way. We need to demolish the filth of this league and take our crown.

I am so proud of all our men today. Boys do not perform like that in the face of such pain and fear... they did so, so well.

ReputationRep:
    On a side-note, Vermaelen is an amazing defender. Swap for Carvalho plz?

ReputationRep:
    I think I will probably collapse in pure ecstacy if Arsenal win the title this year. It's been far too long and too many painful upsets. C'MON ARSENALLLLL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    I don't know why but I feel like that as well. He just looked horrified at what he'd done, knowing he's going to get demolished for an accident.

But then again, if you're going to go in like that, you have to suffer the consequences. People should know that poor tackles aren't things like poor shots or a poor pass, it can ruin careers
    I suppose. But you can't make yourself a better player can you? Just because you don't want to hurt someone? And you can't not put your all in during a big match, or any match for that matter, when you're a professional.

First of all, I can't find anything to describe the grief I feel for Ramsey, and can only hope that the injury isn't nearly as horrendous as it looks. It really took the rest of the game away, and I'm finding it hard to celebrate.

I must, however, say that this was one of our best performances this season. Yes, it was against a Stoke team physically tired and, after 70 mins, playing with a man disadvantage, but from 20 mins onwards, I feel we really put in eveything people have been saying we've lacking: we showed great mental strength to come back from a goal down, we got in there physically and were good in the air. We played our strength - technical football and passing - in the build-up, and stuck it in there for the finishes. If we go on like this, we have a huge shot at the title.

One of the most important things, I think, was the way the team came out after the initial shock of the Ramsey incident. When Eduardo broke his leg two years ago, we collapsed mentally and gave away the match, and the rest of the season. I think that the way things went about this time will do much to prevent that from happening all over again.

I do feel a bit worried about the loss of Song, even though the matches he will miss are ones we are expected to wins easily. Assuming Denilson is still out, I am guessing we'll see Eastmond or another youngster in that role. Rosicky to fill in for Ramsey now.

Finally, I will say that I feel sorry for Ryan Shawcross. It was a terrible thing to happen, but I don't think it was malicious at all, and he looked genuinely distraught afterwards. Also, a nod to all the Stoke fans who applauded Ramsey off.

ReputationRep:
    only 19 years old ffs, didn't deserve that at all.

feel really bad for Shawcross too, a glimmer of humaneness from Stoke that is very rarely seen.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.