Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend but university? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm going to Northampton University in Oct 2010 to study English, but I'm having some trouble with this choice. I have a boyfriend whom I love and I'm reluctant to break up or leave him. My mum encourages anything that might hurt our relationship as she dislikes him heavily, and won't even let him come around anymore, therefore encouraging me to go uni even more.

However, we both live in Coventry and it will be a long-distance relationship if we continue to see each other. We are serious with one another, and the prospect of marriage and a future together has been discussed at a later date or after uni. But I hate the idea of seeing him so little over the course of my degree, and I'm worried how this might effect us as a couple. What I'd love to do is bring him to Northampton with me- do you think this is possible, and what do you suggest?
    Will it effect the burden of uni debt, and make things difficult for us to make a future together later i.e. getting married?
    Also, is it fair on him to come with me? He's finished school and has a job within his family so theres no long term problems. But his parents are extremely over-protective, and how would we get around them?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Take it one step at a time - October is a long way off. Do a search and read all the similar threads on this. People change a LOT at university and you will be spending a lot of time and energy making new friends and on your course - it sounds appealing now to take him but you might want to be alone to experience university sometimes. Work it out spending weekends and see what happens. If it's still working out great after hte first year you could see if you want him to move down then. But you won't be able to move in with him AND live in halls which is an important part of university life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiggywoo9)
    Hey I'm going to Northampton University in Oct 2010 to study English, but I'm having some trouble with this choice. I have a boyfriend whom I love and I'm reluctant to break up or leave him. My mum encourages anything that might hurt our relationship as she dislikes him heavily, and won't even let him come around anymore, therefore encouraging me to go uni even more.

However, we both live in Coventry and it will be a long-distance relationship if we continue to see each other. We are serious with one another, and the prospect of marriage and a future together has been discussed at a later date or after uni. But I hate the idea of seeing him so little over the course of my degree, and I'm worried how this might effect us as a couple. What I'd love to do is bring him to Northampton with me- do you think this is possible, and what do you suggest?
    Will it effect the burden of uni debt, and make things difficult for us to make a future together later i.e. getting married?
    Also, is it fair on him to come with me? He's finished school and has a job within his family so theres no long term problems. But his parents are extremely over-protective, and how would we get around them?

Thanks
    I had a stupid ass female friend, who decided not to go uni and stick with her bf, aftre 2 months they broke up, luckily she had good A levels, and she appleid for uni last year. She should start uni this september. Relationships never work out perfectly, let alone petty teenage relationships. GO UNI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiggywoo9)

Thanks
    Hope I can give you some advice.

Firstly, definately go to uni, and don't immediately set up home there with your bf..if you do and it goes wrong you will have a horrible time until, you can find/afford someqhere else.

Hoever, also don't give up on your relationship! I starting dating my bf in october of year 13...now in my 4th year of uni and we have lived togehter since the second year. Within this I had to spend a year abroad as part of my course. I didn't see loads of him in my first year and I hardly saw him at all during my year abroad so distance relationships do work if thyey are meant to...if it falls apart, it would only have fallen apart at some other crisis.

Basically I am saying that a boyfriend, whether long distance or not, can and do work together, but whether they will work for you, only time will tell.

PP x

ReputationRep:
    definately go to uni! if its something you want to do you will only end up regretting not going and may resent your bf for it. as someone else saidi would def go for th 1st year on your own. its the most important time to make friends and you dont want to have to be worrying about your bf.
    if its meant to work out you will make it work. my entire relationship (over 3 years) has been long distance for 1 reason or another it CAN work!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.