Student Finance on my visa? Watch

Mr lova lova
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi, I currently have a "Residence Permit, Limited Leave to Remain".

Can anyone tell me whether I would be eligible for a student loan on this visa? Or will I have to work until uni starts and hope I have enough money to go university :|

Thank koos x
ASCIIcipher
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am 99% sure you need to have no restrictions on your permit in order to apply for a student loan so no, I am sorry to say that I do not think you can apply for a loan.

Can you tell me if it says 'no recourse to public funds' on it?
Mr lova lova
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by ASCIIcipher)
I am 99% sure you need to have no restrictions on your permit in order to apply for a student loan so no, I am sorry to say that I do not think you can apply for a loan.

Can you tell me if it says 'no recourse to public funds' on it?
Underneath "entitlements" on my home office letter it says:
"You are free to take a job and do not need the permission of any Government Department before doing so. You are free to use the National Health Service and social services, and other services provided by local authorities as you need them."

At the top of the visa it says "residence permit". Under type of permit it says "limited leave to remain" and it says the samething under remarks too.

Does that help?
ASCIIcipher
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mr lova lova)
Underneath "entitlements" on my home office letter it says:
"You are free to take a job and do not need the permission of any Government Department before doing so. You are free to use the National Health Service and social services, and other services provided by local authorities as you need them."

At the top of the visa it says "residence permit". Under type of permit it says "limited leave to remain" and it says the samething under remarks too.

Does that help?
Hmmm... I am afraid that I do not work in student finance any more and do not have access to the regulations so cannot 100% definitely advise you but I am pretty sure that you need 'unlimited leave to remain' in order to be eligible for a student loan and grant.

If you are planning on starting uni this September the best advice I can give is for you to apply for funding now and see what SFE say.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (998)
90.24%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (108)
9.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise