Turn on thread page Beta

How long does it take to get a decision on student finance when you apply online? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, does anyone know on average how long it takes to get a decision on student finance when you apply online?

Cheers x

ReputationRep:
    6 weeks average

ReputationRep:
    When local authorities processed student finance applications the timescale was 8 weeks maximum

However, the new 'improved' SFE service took 2-8 months last year (and are still processing 2009/10 applications from disabled students) so your guess is as good as mine :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Mine has been three weeks this year, but I am non income assessed so was fairly easy, and it was my 7th year of applying so they had all my details!

ReputationRep:
    Going on what happened last year about 6 months is a reasonable estimate.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you send in your stuff asap and that way you'll be more likely to get a loan by the start of term. It's madness!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Mine has been three weeks this year, but I am non income assessed so was fairly easy, and it was my 7th year of applying so they had all my details!
    Thanks all. Sarky how have you managed to get 7yrs finance? The reason I am asking is I think that I will prob. get rejected and have to appeal. I studied for 1yr previously, dropped out and moved abroad for a while. Its only now I have come to apply for finance that I find out they paid tuition fees for 2 yrs and 1 and a half years student loan. the loan went into a bank account that was seriously over the overdraft so I never even saw a penny of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treenyc)
    Thanks all. Sarky how have you managed to get 7yrs finance? The reason I am asking is I think that I will prob. get rejected and have to appeal. I studied for 1yr previously, dropped out and moved abroad for a while. Its only now I have come to apply for finance that I find out they paid tuition fees for 2 yrs and 1 and a half years student loan. the loan went into a bank account that was seriously over the overdraft so I never even saw a penny of it!
    My situation won't help you i'm afraid. My course is six years long and then I did a different course for a year which they partially funded. I guess you have nothing to lose by appealing but I would guess that they'd say it wasn't their fault/problem that the money went into an account with a huge overdraft, that would have been your responsibility to check.

Good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Sarky on this one, I can't see that your appeal would be successful unless you can prove that you informed Student Finance before the beginning of the 2nd year that you wanted no more funding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treenyc)
    Hi all, does anyone know on average how long it takes to get a decision on student finance when you apply online?

Cheers x
    I applied in March last year and I'm still waiting for a full assessment five months after my course began. So in my case, 11 months and counting!

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.