Turn on thread page Beta

Why do the Greeks go on strike so often? Isn't their economy screwed as it is? watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do the Greeks go on strike so often? Isn't their economy screwed as it is?

ReputationRep:
    Because Continental Europeans are soft, they want welfare, short working hours and high wages and don't want to put in any effort for it. The Greeks protesting now don't give a crap that their country is almost on the brink of default so long as they retain their cushy jobs and high wages. Rather like the constantly striking French, aside from the fact the French economy isn't in dire straights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Because Continental Europeans are soft, they want welfare, short working hours and high wages and don't want to put in any effort for it. The Greeks protesting now don't give a crap that their country is almost on the brink of default so long as they retain their cushy jobs and high wages. Rather like the constantly striking French, aside from the fact the French economy isn't in dire straights.
    You can provide evidence for this I assume

ReputationRep:
    The Greek economy is worse of than ours.

ReputationRep:
    Because they can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayne)
    Its not like that in Germany etc were there is a good work ethic. But in France there always on strike, the Spanish/Portuguese have hyped up there depravedness to get money from the EU and there always protesting in Greece.

They just don’t have the same work ethic we have in Britain, despite the fact that ethic has been strained under several labour governments we don’t protest for a three hour lunch break.

ReputationRep:
    The economy in Greece has been in a dire situation for a long period of time, but then they basically threaten the ECB that if they go down, they will totally destroy the Euro, so then they get bailed out. The wages are high, especially in comparison to the cost of living (comparisons with the UK). The Greeks know about their economy, and there was never a proverbial blindfold there to stop them. But their government is a lot different to ours, people will strike because their government will continue to give out. Let's take an area in Thessoloniki for example (the exact name of the place escapes me, but I think it is just outside Kalimera (sp?)) where the government fund high-speed broadband. Yes, that's right, the government which has a lot of debt is paying God-knows-how-much for every citizen in this area to have constant access to the internet.

In my own opinion, it seems more of a rebellion against the government. In October there was their general election, and I remember my boyfriend telling me how he didn't want to participate because both parties who were likely to get into power were incredibly fascist. So it's not a case of a hatred to their country as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, or that as long as they keep their jobs it will be okay, but maybe just rebelling against their government :dontknow:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayne)
    Constant strikes across Europe, French legal 35 hr week, welfare states that surpass the British model aside from in health spending, the ongoing flood of nonsensical legislation pertaining to working hours and environments that floods out of Brussels?

Europe has grown weak and flabby since WW2, it's no surprise that East Asia is beginning to surpass it.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.