Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How about The Blue Cross.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    A campaign group against testing on animals? I got a leaflet a few days ago but I can't find it...
    No, because they're all fundamentally stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    No, because they're all fundamentally stupid.
    No, they're not. Apparently only 22% of experiments are for new medicines. Why should animals suffer so we can improve our lives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    ive decided that when ive bought my treadmill im going to give to an animal charity monthly but theres so many so which one do i choose?
    Give to the NSPCC instead. People are more important than animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    No, they're not. Apparently only 22% of experiments are for new medicines. Why should animals suffer so we can improve our lives?
    Before I can comment, I need you to verify that figure with the source. Preferably with the data that shows what the remaining 78% is.

ReputationRep:
    Are you donating the treadmill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)

What was the point of you saying this? I personally give to charities that benefit elderly people and dementia research, I don't go around telling people that donate money to cancer charities that dementia is more important, or who give money to childrens charities that elderly people are more important.

If someone wants to give to a certain type of charity for whatever reason then that is their prerogative. Theres no need to be judgemental when someone is giving money to charity just because they don't donate to a cause that you think is more worthy. All charities need and deserve money.

Besides, the NSPCC says they spend 23.6% of donations on advertising and administration, many people would like as much of their donation as possible to go towards the cause and don't want to support charities that spend a big chunk of their donation on admin costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)

as ive said animals are more important to me than people, especially kids

(Original post by Tom.)
    Are you donating the treadmill?

dont be stupid :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person seriously confused about the treadmill? Why was it mentioned? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Besides, the NSPCC spends a huge amount of the money they recieve on advertising, more than what goes on benefitting children.
    Sorry, do you have a source for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Am I the only person seriously confused about the treadmill? Why was it mentioned? :confused:
    because if i said i am going to start giving to charity in a few weeks/months people prob would have asked why im waiting that long so i put that so they wouldnt ask

ReputationRep:
    as ive said animals are more important to me than people, especially kids

dont be stupid :rolleyes:

But i was born stupid :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    Sorry, do you have a source for that?
    hmm all the sources I've found are around 2000-2002 so too old to be used as a source so I'll change that comment. The NSPCC site says they now spend 23.6% of donations on administrative costs.

I still wouldn't personally give money to them because thats still nearly a quarter of your donation. I used to donate to them but stopped partly because they used to ring me at least 2 times a month and would constantly send me letters asking me to donate more and it got very annoying being constantly harrased when I was giving what I could.

ReputationRep:
    because if i said i am going to start giving to charity in a few weeks/months people prob would have asked why im waiting that long so i put that so they wouldnt ask
    Why not just say I'm going to start giving to charity...? :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Why not just say I'm going to start giving to charity...? :indiff:

why not just never mind about how i word my posts?

ReputationRep:
    A small local charity near you. Also, make sure your money goes on helping the animals and not on something like improving the quality of staff lunches. If necessary, visit them a few months after you've donated and see what they have done with your money

ReputationRep:
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    it's really weird how you're getting a lot of stick for wanting to do something good. Before I opened the thread I thought every response would be giving ideas for which charity to choose.

RSPCA btw. I agree with you about animals being more important. Animals don't exactly have the same rights as humans in most cases and situations.

ReputationRep:
    Ever heard the phrase "fix your own problems before others"? Well that applies here. Fix human problems before others. There's plenty of people starving in the world and plenty of diseases that need research into. How would you think the people in highly deprived countries would feel if they heard britain was giving more money to donkeys and rabbits than them who don't have clean water etc etc ? I love animals, in fact I nearly studied veterinary but I will ALWAYS donate to people above animals.

ReputationRep:
    ive decided that when ive bought my treadmill im going to give to an animal charity monthly but theres so many so which one do i choose?
    well, if anyone knows about animal welfare and animal charities its me i personally give monthly to WSPA as i believe freeing animals from cruelty all over the world which they are great for. I did spend over 2 years giving to the WWF and just giving to the blue cross and rspca as and when my student funds would allow the WWF are all about protecting dying breeds and you can actually pick which animal you sponsor (i picked the polar bear ). the bluecross and rspca and similar doing work for animals in this country from providing free services to animals owned by people on low-incomes and rehoming and saving animals from cruelty. however now im a full-time worker i give regularly(monthly) to the RSPCA, WCPA and the ASPCA (american version of rspca, as when was in america was very upset by the number of stray and abondoned dogs in 'pounds') as well as making one-off donations to bluecross and dogs trust. i spent a total of about £20-£25 a month on animal charities, and when you put it like that, to me thats only 2.5 hours work, i can spare that for them, we all can

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.