Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uni4med)
    well, if anyone knows about animal welfare and animal charities its me i personally give monthly to WSPA as i believe freeing animals from cruelty all over the world which they are great for. I did spend over 2 years giving to the WWF and just giving to the blue cross and rspca as and when my student funds would allow the WWF are all about protecting dying breeds and you can actually pick which animal you sponsor (i picked the polar bear ). the bluecross and rspca and similar doing work for animals in this country from providing free services to animals owned by people on low-incomes and rehoming and saving animals from cruelty. however now im a full-time worker i give regularly(monthly) to the RSPCA, WCPA and the ASPCA (american version of rspca, as when was in america was very upset by the number of stray and abondoned dogs in 'pounds') as well as making one-off donations to bluecross and dogs trust. i spent a total of about £20-£25 a month on animal charities, and when you put it like that, to me thats only 2.5 hours work, i can spare that for them, we all can
    wow, i have lots of respect for you, im still torn i wish they wernt all so importnat to me lol

(Original post by Michelin Man)
    Ever heard the phrase "fix your own problems before others"? Well that applies here. Fix human problems before others. There's plenty of people starving in the world and plenty of diseases that need research into. How would you think the people in highly deprived countries would feel if they heard britain was giving more money to donkeys and rabbits than them who don't have clean water etc etc ? I love animals, in fact I nearly studied veterinary but I will ALWAYS donate to people above animals.

well technically that would be fixing my own problems before giving to others so im still following that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proud nd luvin it)
    If you are not sure about what animal charity to donate it to, why don't you donate it to Haiti?
    If she's paying taxes, she already is.

ReputationRep:
    Ever heard the phrase "fix your own problems before others"? Well that applies here. Fix human problems before others. There's plenty of people starving in the world and plenty of diseases that need research into. How would you think the people in highly deprived countries would feel if they heard britain was giving more money to donkeys and rabbits than them who don't have clean water etc etc ? I love animals, in fact I nearly studied veterinary but I will ALWAYS donate to people above animals.
    hm, im really glad you never did study vet med. animals are a human problem, we as a society breed and breed and breed animals to the point of animal abandonment, treating them cruelly so that societies are needed to protect them and also poach them to the point of rare, beauty breeds becoming near to distinction. how dare you try and talk someone out of doing such a good thing. there are lots of great charities out there and people should give to a charity that they really believe in and they believe in the work of the charity, not just because it is a charity that helps those most in need. who are you to say who needs money more?

ReputationRep:
    This logic would see the world focus on one single problem at a time.

Why donate to cancer? Heart disease kills more people.

Why donate to the homeless in UK? Homeless in Africa are more at risk.

Why donate to any charities that help adults? Children are more vulnerable.

Why donate to any charity concerned with helping Africa? Climate change is going to make it unlivable there soon, so donate to environmental pressure groups instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uni4med)
    well, if anyone knows about animal welfare and animal charities its me i personally give monthly to WSPA as i believe freeing animals from cruelty all over the world which they are great for. I did spend over 2 years giving to the WWF and just giving to the blue cross and rspca as and when my student funds would allow the WWF are all about protecting dying breeds and you can actually pick which animal you sponsor (i picked the polar bear ). the bluecross and rspca and similar doing work for animals in this country from providing free services to animals owned by people on low-incomes and rehoming and saving animals from cruelty. however now im a full-time worker i give regularly(monthly) to the RSPCA, WCPA and the ASPCA (american version of rspca, as when was in america was very upset by the number of stray and abondoned dogs in 'pounds') as well as making one-off donations to bluecross and dogs trust. i spent a total of about £20-£25 a month on animal charities, and when you put it like that, to me thats only 2.5 hours work, i can spare that for them, we all can

Sorry Couldn't resist! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=tinktinktinkerbell]wow, i have lots of respect for you, im still torn i wish they wernt all so importnat to me lol

thnx if i was you i would just think 'do i want to help those animals in my area or those all over the world'? i just got my WSPA newsletter this morning telling of how they are helping all the injured animals in haiti at the request of the haiti government and they were just saying what a success it was been thanks to its volunteers and spporters. lots of animals out there have been treated for injuries and as many as possible have been vacinated and spayed to help the country manage its stray animal problem. if you want to help a British animal charity i would recommend a charity like dogs trust because they dont get as much funding as bigger charities suchs RPSCA do. but its your choice. good luck choosing! also whoever you choose make sure you sign up for the newsletter via email (saves them money on post and stuff) as its great to see where your money goes.

ReputationRep:

Sorry Couldn't resist! :rolleyes:
    shocking that is quite a funny picture.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a local charity? The smaller ones don't get as much support as say, the RSPCA. They will benefit from the money more as they wont be getting nearly as much as the big names.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    This logic would see the world focus on one single problem at a time.

Why donate to cancer? Heart disease kills more people.

Why donate to the homeless in UK? Homeless in Africa are more at risk.

Why donate to any charities that help adults? Children are more vulnerable.

Why donate to any charity concerned with helping Africa? Climate change is going to make it unlivable there soon, so donate to environmental pressure groups instead.
    I'm not suggesting donating no money to animal charities (in general and not the OP) but more in proportion. More people donate to animal charities than people charities. Surely even a PETA lover like you can see that there's something wrong with that. Personally I donate to a range of charities as opposed to just one. Cancer research as almost the entire generation of my nans in her family has died of cancer, childrens charities and humanitarian charities.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest a charity involved in environmental conservation. This way you will be contributing towards saving thousands of animal lives.

http://www.worldlandtrust.org/
    http://www.wwf.org.uk/
    http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/
    http://www.foe.co.uk/
    http://www.rainforestconcern.org/
    http://www.mcsuk.org/

Whatever you do, don't let yourself be emotionally blackmailed by pictures of miserable looking dogs or donkeys. They get enough attention.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not suggesting donating no money to animal charities (in general and not the OP) but more in proportion. More people donate to animal charities than people charities. Surely even a PETA lover like you can see that there's something wrong with that. Personally I donate to a range of charities as opposed to just one. Cancer research as almost the entire generation of my nans in her family has died of cancer, childrens charities and humanitarian charities.
    So you wouldn't mind if I suggested you should donate more money to dementia charities rather than giving to cancer as dementia "looses out to cancer funding" http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8493248.stm

Tinktinktinkerbell has her own reasons for donating to animal charities, its quite bit rude to suggest shes wrong for doing so and should donate some of her money elsewhere just as its wrong for me to suggest you donate to dementia instead of cancer.

Yes more people donate more money to animals than to people, but more people also donate to cancer over dementia, and other diseases. Is that also wrong? People have different reasons for giving and anyone who gives to charity should have their views respected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    So you wouldn't mind if I suggested you should donate more money to dementia charities rather than giving to cancer as dementia "looses out to cancer funding" http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8493248.stm

Tinktinktinkerbell has her own reasons for donating to animal charities, its quite bit rude to suggest shes wrong for doing so and should donate some of her money elsewhere just as its wrong for me to suggest you donate to dementia instead of cancer.

Yes more people donate more money to animals than to people, but more people also donate to cancer over dementia, and other diseases. Is that also wrong? People have different reasons for giving and anyone who gives to charity should have their views respected.
    I would donate to Dementia or other charities for people. I was using cancer as an example. Can't you see what I'm trying to say? Better animal welfare could be improved my more stringent laws that would mean less charity work would be needed due to the penalties for the crime but you can't fix diseases with laws.

ReputationRep:
    I would donate to Dementia or other charities for people. I was using cancer as an example. Can't you see what I'm trying to say? Better animal welfare could be improved my more stringent laws that would mean less charity work would be needed due to the penalties for the crime but you can't fix diseases with laws.
    I can't really see what you're trying to say as you didn't mention changing laws in your previous posts and the way your last sentence reads doesn't make much sense to me :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a PETA lover.

More people privately give to animal charities maybe, but humanitarian charities get a lot more through Government funding and large donations from fewer wealthy people.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't see why people donate to humanitarian causes more. Sure, cats and dogs and lizards are all cute and innocent, thus don't cause all the nuclear wars and that, but I'd prefer if my own species was sorted out first.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.