Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hindu wins right to be cremated on open-air funeral pyre watch

ReputationRep:
    Article.

A Hindu spiritual healer has won the right to be cremated on a traditional funeral pyre.

The Court of Appeal has ruled that it is possible for Davender Ghai's last wishes to be carried out within existing legislation.

The 71-year-old believes that a pyre is essential to "a good death" for the release of his spirit into the afterlife.

Newcastle City Council initially refused permission to allow Mr Ghai to be cremated according to his Hindu beliefs and he subsequently lost a challenge to that decision at the High Court in London in May last year.

But, in the latest judgment, the Master of the Rolls, Lord Neuberger, who headed a panel of three appeal judges, gave the go-ahead.

"It seems to us that Mr Ghai's religious and personal beliefs as to how his remains should be cremated once he dies can be accommodated within current cremation legislation," he said.

After the ruling, Mr Ghai said: "I am very happy. I have always said that I came here to clarify the law.

"All the time I had complete faith that justice would be done. Now I can go in peace."
    It's a romantic way to go, but is it suitable in a secular, modern society?

ReputationRep:
    There are much more dangerous pollutants

ReputationRep:
    As long as he's not floating down the Tyne as it's being done, I don't really see the problem. Short of asking for one's corpse to become an art installation in Trafalgar Square, we have the right to determine how our corporeal forms are sent packing.

I'd like to get a space burial - hopefully by the time I get topped, space flight will be cheap enough for a full pile of ashes to be sent into space for next to nothing.

I don't see anything wrong with a funeral pyre though. It's a pretty epic way to go out.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, are the objections just a tradition thing or are there real health arguments as to why bodies should not be burnt in the open?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Short of asking for one's corpse to become an art installation in Trafalgar Square
    Bodyworlds is just down the road!

ReputationRep:
    why not? Its not like he's hurting anyone else

ReputationRep:
    whats the point?

its just a body, youre not even going to realise what has happened to it once youre dead.
    but if thats what he wants then fine.

ReputationRep:
    There is no harm to anyone else in it being done, so I think that the court made the right decision.

Ones religious beliefs should be enabled on a personal level in every secular society, just not in a way that effects or enforces anyone else in a major way.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as much as I generally don't like concessions given to the (often more tyrannical) Abrahamic faiths, this doesn't seem to be such a major problem; let him burn! Unless, of course, there are serious health consequences, in which case he'll have to find some other disposal method.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I care about is the pollution.
    I thought we were going to stop cremation soon too.

ReputationRep:
    if it poses no health risks to anyone i really cant find a problem with it

ReputationRep:
    Seems perfectly acceptable to me. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure Hinduism has this tradition because it is the religion of a very hot country where it is the only hygienic way to get rid of a corpse. That's probably also why Muslims bury their dead within 24 hours - it's more about being in a country with a climate that makes a body decompose very quickly than the religion itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nashy19)
    The only thing I care about is the pollution.
    I thought we were going to stop cremation soon too.
    LOL. You're concerned about pollution from burning a corpse. Is it chilly up in your ivory tower?

ReputationRep:
    I thought cremations were on the up

Although I heard in the news recently they keep putting the price up around my way.

I spose the council will still want to charge him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinishHim!)
    This isn't a secular society, and his religion is irrelevant here - if he wants to be cremated on a whim, and isn't harming anyone else, then it should be permitted, religion or not. Modern society? I'm not quite sure what that's supposed to mean. Every society is 'modern' in its own time.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say each to his own, as long as he keeps it out of my life. Fair play to him.

ReputationRep:
    Don't fancy potentially breathing in a dead person tah, if it's that important he can have his body flown back to India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinishHim!)
    Article.

No, Lets think about the health and safety of individuals. Imagine how many other bodies are going to be burning, stinking the air with body flesh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    Don't fancy potentially breathing in a dead person tah, if it's that important he can have his body flown back to India.
    You drink dead people anyway. Throughflow of water in unconsolidated soil layers leads to molecules of corpses being eroded and taken away - usually bone. The water, with suspended/dissolved particles of corpsey goodness, will often make it's way into public groundwater sources. Mmmm, dead people!

You also drink pooticles. Enjoy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.