Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I have been with my boyfriend for coming up to 9 months now...we have a really good relationship finally as we did have alot of problems in the bedroom department at the start (he was a virgin and very insecure!)

Anyway, there is just one thing, he is so very jealous! And now about his own best mate.
    Me and the mate...lets call him "Dan" get on well. We havent met lots of times, but the times we have, we have got on.

My boyfriend once asked me who I thought was his best looking friend, I picked "Dan" because I do think that...honesty is the best policy right? but I dont fancy him!

One night we went out, all of us and my boy went to the toilet and me and dan were standing together...anyway another friend took a photo of us together and obviously the next day it was on facebook... boyfriend went really weird and started on about oh you two make a good couple etc. isnt it weird how you two ended up getting a picture together?

We were talking on facebook the other day about music (cos we're into the same taste) and my boyfriend saw and got really annoyed about it! I seriously don't understand what goes through his head. Now I'm worried about the next time we all go out together

any advice please

*EDIT* because I've just thought of something...I'm worried that the friend could fancy me perhaps or may be abit too interested in me...I got my boyfriend into a band and he got his mate into it, now "dan" knows that I love this band so much and apparentley now its all he goes on about to my boyfriend and has become really obsessed with the band...just a coincidence perhaps. Also whenever they're out together at a pub or whatever he will put them on the jukebox or something and its just abit strange maybe...but I DONT fancy him anyway. He also talks about me quite abit and always comments on my facebook etc and I dont even comment him...liking my statuses etc.
    A very odd sitiation

ReputationRep:
    Have you told him there's nothing going on between you and the friend, to try and put him at ease? I'd imagine that'd be a good place to start if not.

ReputationRep:
    I know some guys like this. Just explain to him the situation, that you are not into him. At the end of the day I prefer my girlfriends to get on well with my mates, then it doesn't run into complications when arguing who you are going out with that night etc etc!

Also think about it, would you feel the same if you were in his position?

ReputationRep:
    Dan sounds a better choice.

ReputationRep:
    Your boyfriend is just worried and insecure (sometimes people can't help, god knows i've been there) and quite frankly he feels threatened, which must be difficult when it's someone as close as his best friend. He cleary doesn't value himself that highly... probably because as you put it, lots of problems in the bedroom department, chances are his best friend has gone onto him about sexual conquests (or maybe not) but your boyfriend feels inadequate compared to him. It's unfortunate he feels that way, but it's something WILL pass with time, you just have to reassure him, and as much as you shouldn't have too, just try not to put yourself in any situations where he might be able to misconstrue it... at least until he feels more relaxed.

ReputationRep:
    well i can see both sides here. in your defence, you have the right to talk to who you want etc etc and he is obviously acting jealous etc etc, but that is most probs because hes worried you prefer his mate.
    in his defence, the fact you talk to him on fb etc may seem in his mind like you are forming somekind of relationship with him behind your back,. which i can see if i put myself in his situ. try and do the same, how would you feel if he added and started talking to all your girl mates? the main thing is, you need to sit down and talk. communnication is key in relationships and you need to deal with this together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got_The_Bends)
    Basically, I have been with my boyfriend for coming up to 9 months now...we have a really good relationship finally as we did have alot of problems in the bedroom department at the start (he was a virgin and very insecure!)

Anyway, there is just one thing, he is so very jealous! And now about his own best mate.
    Me and the mate...lets call him "Dan" get on well. We havent met lots of times, but the times we have, we have got on.

My boyfriend once asked me who I thought was his best looking friend, I picked "Dan" because I do think that...honesty is the best policy right? but I dont fancy him!

One night we went out, all of us and my boy went to the toilet and me and dan were standing together...anyway another friend took a photo of us together and obviously the next day it was on facebook... boyfriend went really weird and started on about oh you two make a good couple etc. isnt it weird how you two ended up getting a picture together?

We were talking on facebook the other day about music (cos we're into the same taste) and my boyfriend saw and got really annoyed about it! I seriously don't understand what goes through his head. Now I'm worried about the next time we all go out together

any advice please
    Bad move. You should have lied. It'd bother most people, imo, if your partner said your best friend was "hotter" than yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Well he is insecure, you said it yourself. So have no doubt he is ten times worse than you think.

So he is probably thinking you are cheating on him AND mocking him with it. (WORSE CASE SCENARIO)

So just talk to him dammit!!

ReputationRep:
    I hope in the next few months, we won't have a thread named "I'm in love with my bf's best friend, please help". Before you say anything, yes I'm serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corrosive Blossom)
    Bad move. You should have lied. It'd bother most people, imo, if your partner said your best friend was "hotter" than yourself.
    I didn't mean that tbh, I meant he was the best looking of all the friends...my guy not included! we did it with my friends and he chose my best mate so whats the problem here?

ReputationRep:
    Well the thing is have spoken to him about it and he swears he isnt jealous but I beg to differ in every situation. Now whenever I bring the friend up he is always saying things like "oh god you're obsessed" or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    tell your bf that there is nothing going on. You can prove that you like him more and give your boyfriend more attention when you go out and stuff. And, try not to let yourself be on your own a lot with his mate. Yes you can still be friends, but make sure you don't start acting like a couple, when you are not.

Chat to his mate, but have your arm round ur bf, that kinda thing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.