Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (It was Kreuzuerk who posted this in the Shoutbox this afternoon.)

A user on YouTube called iamamiwhoami has started posting odd videos over the last few months. They are clearly professionally made and it seems some money has gone into their production. Supposedly, some prominent music blogs etc. have been sent cryptic emails drawing their attention to the videos, and the whole thing looks a lot like a viral marketing campaign.

The latest video is here:

There's plenty of discussion of it on Twitter, and there is lots of discussion about it online. Speculation brings up names like Goldfrapp, Christina Aguilera, NIN, MGMT, The Knife, Lady GaGa, amongst lots of others. Who do you think it is?

Personally, I think it is a relatively mainstream, sole female artist. The production values and marketing focus are too great for it to be a minor artist. Also, the prominence of the female singer in the videos suggests either a sole female artist or a group in which the female singer is a prominent front-person. The music in the videos isn't that experimental or weird, sounding more like an electronic undercurrent that has been found in relatively minor artists (such as The Knife) for years and has only recently emerged into the mainstream. It does sound a bit what a mainstream producer/artist-team would conjure up on wishing to produce something reminiscent of early Goldfrapp, The Knife, Late of the Pier, Bjork, Aphex Twin, et al., rather than being part of an original style. Plus, with 'weirdness' suddenly becoming the mainstream of pop, following Lady GaGa, it makes sense for other female singers to try to out-do her. Then again, big name singers tend not to like their vocals to be as heavily processed as this. There is, I suppose, always the possibility that it is a new artist. That would make sense. A record label could pick up on the slightly-derivative sound that it has, see the new opening for the mainstream appeal (with obligatory female performer presence), and throw some money into marketing.

(Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    First video: Prelude 699130082.451322-5.4.21.3.1.20.9.15.14.1.12
    The end part of the title spells out E.D.U.C.A.T.I.O.N.A.L. It has a picture of a goat, and the description links to a video of a goat giving birth.

Second video: 9.1.13.669321018
    The first part of the title spells out I.A.M. It has a picture of an owl, and the description links to a video of one.

Third video: 9.20.19.13.5.723378
    The first part of the title spells out I.T.S.M.E. It has a picture of a whale, and the description links to a video of a whale shark.

Fourth video: 13.1.14.4.18.1.7.15.18.1.1110
    The first part of the title spells out M.A.N.D.R.A.G.O.R.A. It has a picture of a bee, and the description links to a video of a bee on a flower.

The linked videos just seem to have been found from a search on YouTube. Their only connection is their content.

If anyone wants to have a go at decoding the remaining numbers, it might be useful.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, excellent thread! I had contemplated starting one, so I'm delighted to see this so thoroughly done.

The whole thing is rather interesting. My attention was initially drawn in by a message on Ladytron's twitter account, which essentially asked them whether they were responsible. Unsurprisingly, they denied it but I am aware that they're collaborating, along with a number of other electronically-orientated artists, with Christina Aguilera. The woman in the video does have a passing resemblance to her, but I'm not sure if it's anything more than that. Then again, this is probably the sort of direction that she's headed in, so it's hard to rule her out for sure. I agree with you when you say that this isn't an innovation. Personally, it (the music) seems a little manufactured. And of course, the whole succession of cryptically titled videos adds to that. Nevertheless, it does sound rather good.

I think it could possibly Lykke Li, who hasn't had an album out for two years and probably has the marketing power to put something like this together. Then again, it's probably not and I'm sure somewhere there's a comprehensive discrediting of this being her. Also, the first single of Goldfrapp's new album sounds nothing like the videos whilst Gaga's only just brought out her second album.

Hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the teeth are not Christina Aguilera's.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't seem to fit in with the sound or theme of Goldfrapp's new album, or with the whole image of Lady GaGa.

ReputationRep:
    She seems to have blacked up.

ReputationRep:
    I had the laughable thought that it might be Crystal Castles but the whole campaign's vastly too coordinated to even really consider it. Not forgetting that the woman in the videos looks nothing like Alice Glass and the fact that the music is probably too harmonious to be them and more generally, sounds nothing like their previous album.

Perhaps the woman in the videos is a decoy?

Edit:There's some talk of it being this lady, which seem conceivable.

Looks like it might be (source).

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's Crystal Castles. I also don't think it is a decoy or actress or anything like that. The camera sees too much of her for it to be anything but the main face (even if the music is mostly done by someone else) of the artist. As for this Margaret, I don't think we're going to get anywhere comparing teeth, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    I don't think it's Crystal Castles. I also don't think it is a decoy or actress or anything like that. The camera sees too much of her for it to be anything but the main face (even if the music is mostly done by someone else) of the artist. As for this Margaret, I don't think we're going to get anywhere comparing teeth, really.
    What sort of a stage do you think we're at within the campaign? I mean, the first video was only uploaded on January 31st and whilst there seems to be growing interest, it's certainly not gone viral yet. We could be waiting for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Woah, the videos are pretty strange! Sounds good though...

ReputationRep:
    What about Ladyhawke??? I think the girl in the videos resemble her.
    It's definately not Christina Aguilera though as a lot of people seem to be suggesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    What sort of a stage do you think we're at within the campaign? I mean, the first video was only uploaded on January 31st and whilst there seems to be growing interest, it's certainly not gone viral yet. We could be waiting for a while.
    According to MTV "it all started in December". I know that the YouTube account adds the videos on the 31st of January, but I think the account was made again, after the campaign had already started. There is a topic on a forum here that was made on January the 9th, and the links to the videos that it has in it no longer work. It appears the first video was taken down because of a "Copyright claim by Molly Nolte". Molly Nolte appears to be the person who made the video of the goat giving birth that the first video links to. It seems that the original version of the 'Prelude' video incorporated the goat-birth clip in it, and was subsequently taken down because it did so without permission. Therefore, iamamiwhoami must have remade the first two videos, taking out the incorporated clips and replacing them with a black screen with a white picture on, and linking to the videos instead.

ReputationRep:
    Mandragora Scream? I'm reasonably sure it's them.

ReputationRep:
    This is interesting:

The image's URL is http://stuff.sonybmg.de/Image/Christina_Aguilera/Promo_Album.jpg. It is hosted on a website belonging to Aguilera's label, and is quite clearly a still from a video.

ReputationRep:
    For Prelude 699130082.451322-5.4.21.3.1.20.9.15.14.1.12
    If you add up 699130082 and 451322 as individual numbers you get 38 and 17, which, using the same number to letter cipher as the latter numbers, as 3 8 1 7, you get C H A G. This suggests CHristina AGuilera.

However, for the next one: 9.1.13.669321018:
    Changing 669321018 into two numbers by the same method makes C F. It doesn't really make sense that a name starting with I.A.M. should have C.F. at the end if it was meant to point to Christina Aguilera.

For the next one: 9.20.19.13.5.723378:
    723378 becomes 30, which by the same process doesn't work, as no letter corresponds to 0. (A was 1.) It makes C ?.

For the third one: 13.1.14.4.18.1.7.15.18.1.1110:
    1110 makes 3 which is C.

I'm not sure that this is how that part of the code (if it is a code) works, and I think the CH AG at the start was a coincidence.

ReputationRep:
    It would be quite a remarkable transformation from this:

ReputationRep:
    i don't care

ReputationRep:
    Whoever it is, they haven't got porcelain veneers. That should narrow it down.

ReputationRep:
    Christina has many different looks, she's also long overdue a comeback.

She's always been a bit weird with darkness and bugs and stuff, look at the whole of the Stripped album and especially 'Fighter'... the video also has the feel of the Stripped album prelude track about it...

That image does indeed link to the Christina promo album URL though - careless much?

ReputationRep:
    How much are you getting paid to advertise this crap? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlamCanyon)
    It would be quite a remarkable transformation from this:
    No, she could never look any different to that...

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    That video is kind of creepy...

It sounds almost like Santigold if you think about it. Just a slightly... weirder version. And all the Is since she changed from SantO to SantIgold? I think it's just because I've been listening to her album a lot recently.. The direction and general feeling of the clips reminds me of her music videos.

Edit: Just watched some of the other videos (I'm getting pretty freaked out now - getting the same feelings as I got when The Lost Experience was on.. with Hanso and Joop the monkey - it was an ARG too, which this one kind of is) and it looks a bit like Gaga or Christina.

Second Edit: It can't be Bjork, as far as I know, she's busy working on the soundtrack to the new Moomins film. Well, it could be... but that's going to be one really disturbing film.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.