Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I'm currently in my 5th and final year of my MSci physics undergraduate course and have been struggling to decide whether to apply for a Theoretical Physics PhD or to take a year out first to "recharge". Unfortunately I have left it quite late to apply to most places and my most desirable next step in academia is Part III of the Tripos at Cambridge, which is a long shot. Do you think its a bad idea to take a gap year before applying for such a strenuous degree? I have spoken to people who have applied for theory phd's and they pretty much say that it will be considered a bad thing as you really need to be up-to-date with the mathematics that is required for doing a theoretical physics phd.

I have read in other forums that it can be a good thing to have a gap year but I'm not so sure for my case.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.