Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

this is what is mentioned about Investment Banking in the IMB prospectus: "Banking is also a popular choice of career. There are Information Management for Business graduates working in areas such as investment banking, fund management, venture capital, business analysis and broking".

So have many/any students managed to get into IB Front Office with an IMB degree? Do any current students have internships at Tier 1 banks?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The first lot of students havnt actually graduated from IMB I dont think. As for BB FO IB internships I dont know I'd think if you try hard and do well I dont see why not. Decent course, brilliant university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrissy6)
    Hi guys,

this is what is mentioned about Investment Banking in the IMB prospectus: "Banking is also a popular choice of career. There are Information Management for Business graduates working in areas such as investment banking, fund management, venture capital, business analysis and broking".

So have many/any students managed to get into IB Front Office with an IMB degree? Do any current students have internships at Tier 1 banks?

Thanks!
    I haven't heard of anyone in my year getting an internship yet (I fail at listening to be fair) but I know lots of people who are in the process of interviewing at places like Barclays, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, PwC and other similar places.

I also know some 3rd years who interned at UBS but they were in IT/tech-related roles.

In unrelated news I've recently been made an offer for an industrial placement of 12 months at IBM for a business role within their GBS section (was made official yesterday) They seemed to like the fact that I was at UCL doing this degree course.

Lol I CAN'T believe I applied for only one industrial placement and got it (I was going to apply to others like Accenture but I couldn't be bothered - I figured I would do a year abroad if I didn't get IBM). I win at life :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    My brother who works in Morgan Stanley was just telling me that the BSc in Business Management from KCL would be better for entry into IB than the IMB from UCL... (these two courses are my most likely choices) but I am in love with UCL and am looking for evidence to refute his claims! Some help here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elkath)
    My brother who works in Morgan Stanley was just telling me that the BSc in Business Management from KCL would be better for entry into IB than the IMB from UCL... (these two courses are my most likely choices) but I am in love with UCL and am looking for evidence to refute his claims! Some help here?
    Employers don't really care what the degree, just what university you graduate from.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Paddy...

I have been meaning to ask you how did you manage to switch courses in your second year! It seems practically impossible from what I have seen generally in the forums...

As to IMB... is it more business oriented or programming oriented? Praying for it to be more on business!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Paddy...

I have been meaning to ask you how did you manage to switch courses in your second year! It seems practically impossible from what I have seen generally in the forums...

As to IMB... is it more business oriented or programming oriented? Praying for it to be more on business!
    Impossible depends on the department tbh. For example it is generally impossible to switch to English or Law because they're so popular.

Basically as long as there is room on the course and as long as you show genuine interest then it's not too difficult. I originally studied Russian and Management so I was already half in the Management department, so for me switching onto IMB was quite easy.

Information Management is 50% business and 50% IT. When I say IT I mean information technology, there are only 2 programming modules in the degree (8 modules each year, 24 in total over the 3 years) so it's not just about programming. You can find the full list of what modules you will study here.

However I cannot stress enough the importance of IT. Yes half the degree is business but you will not enjoy university if half of what you study is something you have no interest in like IT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Impossible depends on the department tbh. For example it is generally impossible to switch to English or Law because they're so popular.

Basically as long as there is room on the course and as long as you show genuine interest then it's not too difficult. I originally studied Russian and Management so I was already half in the Management department, so for me switching onto IMB was quite easy.

Information Management is 50% business and 50% IT. When I say IT I mean information technology, there are only 2 programming modules in the degree (8 modules each year, 24 in total over the 3 years) so it's not just about programming. You can find the full list of what modules you will study here.

However I cannot stress enough the importance of IT. Yes half the degree is business but you will not enjoy university if half of what you study is something you have no interest in like IT.
    I do have interest in IT.... but none at all in programming... although it's good to hear that programming is only two modules! Is it really true that employers only care about the school and not the course??

ReputationRep:
    I do have interest in IT.... but none at all in programming... although it's good to hear that programming is only two modules! Is it really true that employers only care about the school and not the course??
    Well it's a generalisation but for IB and jobs where you don't need a specific degree then yes it's pretty much true.

Also I was quite worried about programming before I started but I ended up enjoying it!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I may end up enjoying it as well! What would be your ideal job after you graduate?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I may end up enjoying it as well! What would be your ideal job after you graduate?
    I don't have one ideal job (am interested in lots of things) but probably management consulting for a company like IBM or Accenture. As I've mentioned I've got an offer from IBM for a 12-month industrial placement, and it'll be in the consulting division so I guess I'll know at the end of it whether management consulting is for me or not!

I'm also thinking about the Civil Service Fast Stream with the aim of being a diplomat, I'd love a job that involved living abroad or lots of traveling.

Other things I've thought about are marketing, public relations, a law conversion course, or doing a masters degree.

Actually investment banking is probably the only thing I definitely don't want to do!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm interested in applying for Information Technology in Leeds and I'd like to ask you if there are some maths exams to face up to. Does anybody know an interesting website where I can find s/th more about the exams that I'll have to do in IT course?HELP!!! please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atarip85)
    Hi guys,

I'm interested in applying for Information Technology in Leeds and I'd like to ask you if there are some maths exams to face up to. Does anybody know an interesting website where I can find s/th more about the exams that I'll have to do in IT course?HELP!!! please
    Sorry I can't help you. Information Technology isn't what I'm studying, and I have no idea about anything at Leeds University, sorry.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.