Turn on thread page Beta

.. watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: British Summer Time all year round - Yay or Nay?
    Yay
    57.14%
    Nay
    42.86%

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point.

We should run on UTC+0/GMT all year round. Farmers be damned!

The world runs around Greenwich Time. Well, UTC, but that is basically Greenwich Time with a neutral name. I think it would be a bit illogical to have us running +1 hour ahead of the meridian which we sit on.

ReputationRep:
    yay

ReputationRep:
    British Summer Time all year round when Summer only lasts for a quarter of a year? Yet more drivel coming from Gordy.

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    I really don't care what time we go by so long as we just stick to it, the whole switching back and forth thing is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely. Living in the northern reaches of this kingdom, the sun sets ridiculously early in the winter. Arguments that children would be walking to school in the dark - aside from being a bit silly considering schoolchildren generally play outdoors after school anyway - are a bit peculiar when one considers that they have to walk home in the dark.

I recall reading somewhere that the previous experiment where BST was used throughout the year (in the 70s, I think...) used flawed accident statistics, which wrongly suggested it was more dangerous than the status quo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Yes, definitely. Living in the northern reaches of this kingdom, the sun sets ridiculously early in the winter. Arguments that children would be walking to school in the dark - aside from being a bit silly considering schoolchildren generally play outdoors after school anyway - are a bit peculiar when one considers that they have to walk home in the dark.

I recall reading somewhere that the previous experiment where BST was used throughout the year (in the 70s, I think...) used flawed accident statistics, which wrongly suggested it was more dangerous than the status quo.
    Live in the South? :dontknow:

Sun, Sea, Sand, Southerners. We've got it all :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Live in the South? :dontknow:

Sun, Sea, Sand, Southerners. We've got it all :p:
    I'm increasingly attracted by the prospect. I could use a few more barbecues and a few less cases of frostbite.

ReputationRep:
    From a superficial point of view Nay because I like winter fashion too much.

But I'd say Nay anyway,
    Summer is more precious when we just have those few months of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)

But I'd say Nay anyway,

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:

But I'd say Nay anyway,
    I don't think you understand! It's talking about the clocks going backwards and forwards..I don't think Brown could enforce an endless summer.

ReputationRep:

But I'd say Nay anyway,
    You can't wear winter fashion in the daylight?

ReputationRep:
    Pff, should reform the whole time system, 100 instead of 60...decimal time, think I've just invented something here :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomooo)
    I don't think you understand! It's talking about the clocks going backwards and forwards..I don't think Brown could enforce an endless summer.
    Loooolz
    No I don't think I got it either

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we need BST all year, in fact in winter the clocks should go back an hour so it's light even later. So summer GMT +1, winter GMT +2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    You can't wear winter fashion in the daylight?
    I thought we were talking about summer time all year round,
    weather wise

ReputationRep:
    Another brilliant idea from the goverment:rant:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Yes, we need BST all year, in fact in winter the clocks should go back an hour so it's light even later. So summer GMT +1, winter GMT +2.
    That just means that, in Winter, we will have extremely dark afternoons. If during Winter we start the day 2 hours later, that means we'll be looking at it getting dark at 2-3pm.

We're not bloody Norway.

ReputationRep:
    Nay

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.