Turn on thread page Beta

.. watch

• View Poll Results: British Summer Time all year round - Yay or Nay?
    Yay
    57.14%
    Nay
    42.86%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I really don't care what time we go by so long as we just stick to it, the whole switching back and forth thing is pointless.
    Same, I'd prefer it this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    That just means that, in Winter, we will have extremely dark afternoons. If during Winter we start the day 2 hours later, that means we'll be looking at it getting dark at 2-3pm.

We're not bloody Norway.
    I meant the opposite! I want it to go dark later, I can just never figure out if the clock goes forwards or backwards - it's a real ********!

ReputationRep:
    Nay from me. We'd be moving out of the nation's natural time zone. Plus, the 'come home in the evening' argument is a bit flawed, due to staggered traffic and vastly different school times. That's why the evening rush hour lasts longer. The increased morning traffic mean children should be walking to school in the light (plus some are likely to be a bit tired, so aren't likely to concentrate, like myself).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCP11OC)
    Pff, should reform the whole time system, 100 instead of 60...decimal time, think I've just invented something here :cool:
    Sadly this doesn't work. A year is 365.242199 days no matter how much nicer it would be if it were 100. Every other measure of time is thus derived from this original figure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    I meant the opposite! I want it to go dark later, I can just never figure out if the clock goes forwards or backwards - it's a real ********!
    The way you did it was right. When the clocks go forward the mornings get darker and the afternoons get lighter.

e.g. GMT 8am; GMT+1 = 9am. So even though it's 9am it's as dark as if it's 8am GMT

e.g. 2. GMT 6pm; GMT+1 = 7pm. So even though it's 7pm it's as light as if it's 6pm GMT

ReputationRep:
    Can someone remind me why the clocks change? I just end up missing/being early for my lectures

ReputationRep:
    If they think it will save lives then why not? It's not like being an hour different from GMT is going to adversely affect us somehow. It's a yay from me.

ReputationRep:
    There is no reasonable, logical argument against moving the clocks forward to GMT+1 and GMT+2.

Many, many more people would be outdoors and active at 7pm than at 6am.

What would you rather?

In summer, we typically get 16 hours of daylight: from 5am to 9pm. Could this be better distributed, say 6am to 10pm? Yes it could.

In winter, we get roughly 10 hours of daylight, from 7am to 5pm. Could this be better distributed, say 8am to 6pm? Yes it could.

The really, really, really stupid thing is that the system is not symmetrical: we push the clocks back 6 weeks before the solstice, but wait 10 weeks to push them forward again. An extra 4 weeks of unnecessarily dark evenings just to spite us and keep us inside getting fat and lazy and burning electricity. How **** ing stupid is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    There is no reasonable, logical argument against moving the clocks forward to GMT+1 and GMT+2.

Many, many more people would be outdoors and active at 7pm than at 6am.

What would you rather?

In summer, we typically get 16 hours of daylight: from 5am to 9pm. Could this be better distributed, say 6am to 10pm? Yes it could.

In winter, we get roughly 10 hours of daylight, from 7am to 5pm. Could this be better distributed, say 8am to 6pm? Yes it could.

The really, really, really stupid thing is that the system is not symmetrical: we push the clocks back 6 weeks before the solstice, but wait 10 weeks to push them forward again. An extra 4 weeks of unnecessarily dark evenings just to spite us and keep us inside getting fat and lazy and burning electricity. How **** ing stupid is that?
    Actually, generally sunrise is at 08:00 here in the winter, and it generally gets dark about 16:30. All you would be doing would be endangering the lives of children who walk to school. They generally walk home in the light anyway, assuming school finishes no later than 15:45, although I appreciate this may not be in all cases, but should be in most cases especially since recent trends suggest that we're moving to earlier school finish times and earlier school start times.

Also, in summer, redistributing that daylight to last after 10pm as it is in high summer may interfere with the sleep of some people who need to be up. I for one, cannot sleep if I know it's daylight outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh User)
    Actually, generally sunrise is at 08:00 here in the winter, and it generally gets dark about 16:30. All you would be doing would be endangering the lives of children who walk to school. They generally walk home in the light anyway, assuming school finishes no later than 15:45, although I appreciate this may not be in all cases, but should be in most cases especially since recent trends suggest that we're moving to earlier school finish times and earlier school start times.

Also, in summer, redistributing that daylight to last after 10pm as it is in high summer may interfere with the sleep of some people who need to be up. I for one, cannot sleep if I know it's daylight outside.
    What kind of school finishes at 15:45? That's the middle of the afternoon. Most schools run 9-5 to fit in with the parents work times. At my school we had to rearrange the whole day in winter otherwise we would be playing sport in the pitch black.

You go to sleep before 10pm? Are you seriously ill or something? Yet it doesn't bother you when the birds start singing at 4am... Hmm...

Anyway, explain to me how it's ok for kids to walk to school on October 21st but not on Feb 21st, when the conditions are identical.

ReputationRep:
    let's have the same time as France and other European countries- cope with dark mornings and gain lighter evening s in April and September.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.