Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I went along to the Aberystwyth University Hairdresser to have my hair trimmed and was informed by a girl named Laura that it would cost me £5 before my cut as I would receive Student Discount being a Student. However, after I had my haircut by the Salon Owner she informed me it would cost me £10 as if I was not a Student it would cost me more. The Salon Owner of Aberystwyth University did not do a good job in cutting my hair at all..... I did not have much cut off and based on the reason I was a Student I feel this amount is expensive. I would like to inform other Students, Lectures, Bar Staff, Canteen Staff, Shop Workers- anybody working at Aber Uni that they are better off visiting a Hairdresser in town as they would make the most of their money. I informed the Salon Owner that I would inform other people of the treatment I had received, but she dismissed it stating I should not bother degrading myself as people would not take me seriously. I hope that I am not the only one out here that feels in this certain way. I am on a very low income being a Student and find it extremely unfair having to fork out £10 on a small trim. The Salon Worker informed me that the only way I would not be paying the £10 is that if she shaved it all off otherwise she would report me to the Police. I could not believe how abrupt, rude the Salon Worker was towards me when I informed her that I would not be coming back in the future. The Salon worker of Aber Uni Hairdresser stated she would be better off if I didnt return as I would be paying the full amount of £10 whether I liked it or not or she would phone the Police on me. I refused to have her shave all my hair off in order to only pay £5. However, the point is that I have been mislead and this is totally unacceptable. I would like other people to share their ideas and perhaps join the protest with me as haircuts in Aberystwyth Town cost only £5. Why should the Aberystwyth University Hairdresser be different?! The Salon Worker stated it was her Salon and that she could charge as much as she wanted to her clients. But she is blinging people of their money!!! I hope you take me seriously as it has upset me. I was shocked as I do not have much money, I am stuggling as all students do. Please get in touch.

ReputationRep:
    That's a rip off especially since she said initially that it would only be £5!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but if your friend Laura was mistaken beforehand you really don't have a leg to stand on. If laura worked at the salon, and you had a voucher informing you it was a fiver, it would be a different story. It seems to me you went in expecting to pay a fiver, and the actual cost was a tenner, based on a conversation with a randommer, sucks but I don't see why you can complain to be honest except to have a go at laura, who probbaly just made a simple mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wren)
    That's a rip off especially since she said initially that it would only be £5!
    I don't think she did Wren, my read of it made me think that Laura was just one of his friends, doesn't say worked at the salon, could be mistaken though!

ReputationRep:
    They said £5 before yet demanded £10 after? I would have left a fiver and walked out, like to see them stop me. Call the police if they wanted to **** it.

oh wait, this Laura didn't actually work there? Well then you should have asked beforehand how much it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppj9)
    I went along to the Aberystwyth University Hairdresser to have my hair trimmed and was informed by a girl named Laura that it would cost me £5 before my cut, as I would receive student discount. However, after I had my haircut by the salon owner she informed me it would cost me £10 as if I was not a Student it would cost me more. The owner didn't do a good job at cutting my hair at all!

I didn't have very much cut off, and as a student I felt that the price I paid was expensive. I would like to inform other students and staff at Aberystwyth Uni that they are better off visiting a hairdresser in town, as they would probably save a bit of money. I told the salon owner that I would inform other people of the treatment I had received, but she dismissed it stating I should not bother degrading myself, and that people would not take me seriously. I hope that I am not the only one out here that feels this way. I am on a low income, as a student, and find it extremely unfair having to fork out £10 on a small trim.

The salon worker informed me that the only way I would not be paying the £10 is that if she shaved it all off otherwise she would report me to the police. I could not believe how rude the worker was towards me when I informed her that I would not be coming back in the future. The salon worker of stated she would be better off if I simply didn't return, as I would be paying the full amount of £10 whether I liked it or not or she would phone the Police. I refused to have her shave all my hair off in order to only pay £5. However, the point is that I have been mislead and this is totally unacceptable.

I would like other people to share their ideas and perhaps join the protest with me as haircuts in Aberystwyth town centre cost only £5. Why should the Aber. University Hairdresser be different?! The salon worker stated it was her salon and that she could charge as much as she wanted to her clients. But she is ripping people off! I hope you take me seriously as it has upset me. I was shocked as I do not have much money, I am stuggling as all students do. Please get in touch.
    1. I've made that more readable, if anyone wants to attempt it.
    2. Sorry, but life sometimes screws you over. Best to move on. I know we students have it hard, but a fiver won't kill you.
    3. It sounds like your beef should be with Laura, and not the salon. TBH, you shouldn't really have any beef at all - move on and learn from it.
    4. If this is really getting to you, consider contacting Trading Standards?

ReputationRep:
    If this Laura worked there, then I would have given a fiver and just walked out. By telling you a price (£5) and you agreeing to have your hair cut, you both entered into a contract. Once they then decided to charge you £10, they broke this contract.
    But if Laura didn't work there, you have no leg to stand on.

ReputationRep:
    If this Laura didn't work there, then you should have asked beforehand. And if you're that unsatisfied with the service, and the haircut isn't that great, then get in touch with the Trading Standards Agency.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    A haircut for £10? If you were a girl that'd be a bargain :s: men's haircuts are so cheap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talveer)
    Mine costs £27
    Mine's free

Then again, I do do it myself.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Talveer)
    Mine costs £27
    In that case I think we should both go to that guy's hairdresser and get £10 haircuts :giggle: Although it'd probably cost more to get to Aber than we could save on hairdressing
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Mine costs £35 hence I haven't had it cut since sept. Wait till I'm home and get mother to pay.

parents are good for somethings!

ReputationRep:
    It is bad but on the scale of things not a catastrophe. It's not as if you have been run over by a lorry and have lost the use of your arms and legs, or caught a horrible disease like Ebola or Aids and are dying in terrible pain. Look on the bright side and forget about the five pounds. Your hair will grow back. People who work in hairdressers get fed up with their lives and it's only human nature if they take out their frustrations on others from time to time. I wouldn't like to have stand of my feet and to stick my fingers into people's hair all day, making inane conversation and pretending to care about someone's trivial life.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: to the people saying they pay £27 and £35 for a haircut. I pay £10 and that is not only a cut but a restyle also :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    :eek: to the people saying they pay £27 and £35 for a haircut. I pay £10 and that is not only a cut but a restyle also :/
    Some people care a lot about how their hair looks and are willing to pay more to make sure they get a good cut.

ReputationRep:
    I go to Toni & Guy and have the Style Director do my hair :o: I love him, he added me on facebook hahaha. Also because I'm a student I only pay £25 when he'd normally charge £48 :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    I don't think she did Wren, my read of it made me think that Laura was just one of his friends, doesn't say worked at the salon, could be mistaken though!

I dont know Laura. She happened to work at the Aberystwyth University Hairdresser. The point of the matter is that I have been mislead. Being a Student is hard enough like all you other guys but I was quite upset that I was talked to the way in which I had by the Salon Owner. I find £10 for a small cut very expensive for a Student. The Salon Owner concerned expalined I would need to pay the full £10 amount otherwise she would report me to Police. I agreed to pay as I did not want the matter tkaen further, but I felt extremely uncomfortable. The Salon Owner at Aberystwyth University informed me that she could charge clients as much as she wanted whether they were disatisfied or not. She stated I could have my hair shaved off and that it would only cost me a £5. Perhaps Laura got the £5 from this. But I didnt want my hair shaved therefore refused. It was the Salon Owner that cut my hair. I could not have my hair shaven off as I have not had it done before and would not know what it looked like. I informed the Salon Owner that I would inform other Students at Aberystwyth University, Lectures, Bar Staff, Canteen workers, Shop workers but the truth is I havent. It was a blank threat but I feel the Aberystwyth University Hairdresser is charging too much to their clients. People are better off visiting elsewhere like I informed the Salon Owner. She stated I should not bother telling anybody of the treatment as I would be degrading myself, and people would not take me seriously. I hope you all will take me seriously and thanks for the support. If you want to make most of your money it is better visiting Aberystwyth Town as it would only cost £5 not £10 like the Aberystwyth University Hairdresser charge. The service in which I received by the Salon worker was very poor. She did not perform well in cutting my hair as it had looked more or less the same as when I walked in. This is why I am upset,I feel it was a complete waste of money. If any of you guys want to get hold of me, PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Back in the middle ages they had a male leader of a village who would decide a remedy for such disputes . Therefore I suggest a bout of mud wrestling ,where you whip each others bare breasts with stinging nettles.

If you win the salon owner pays you a fiver, if you lose you sweep her shop at the end of the day. Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshyEls)
    Some people care a lot about how their hair looks and are willing to pay more to make sure they get a good cut.
    People need to learn how to shop around :eek:.

ReputationRep:
    People need to learn how to shop around :eek:.
    Maybe, but if you take a risk and end up with a rubbish cut you either have to pay out again or look like a numpty for six weeks.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.