Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Another point to consider is whether the Salon Owner had a price list up on her wall so that customers could see what they would be charged. If there was a concessionary price for students it should have been on the list. Did she ask to see your student ID?
    As to the proposal to shave off all your hair, I think she should have had the price for that service prominently displayed and if she didn't you could complain to the Trading Standards that the prices of services such as a complete shave off of head hair was not displayed in the right place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    A haircut for £10? If you were a girl that'd be a bargain :s: men's haircuts are so cheap!
    I was thinking that. I last paid £40 at Toni and Guy for a cut! (And that was even with student discount).

Still, they do a really good job there and it's much better than anywhere else I've been... I thought I'd treat myself I guess. I think I'd be too worried to get a haircut for a tenner. :p:

OP - If this Laura worked there then I'd understand you being angry at the price 'changing', but the way you've written it says that Laura was just someone who told you about the place.

ReputationRep:
    The Salon Owner was such a SLUT I couldn't believe!!! I felt like flooring the *****!!! She had called me GAY!!! It wasn't the fact that I had to pay £10 that really made me angry it was the moral behind it. It happened at Aberystwyth University Hairdresser next door to the Student Union Bar and Shop. I am never going near the place again. It was the way in which i was mislead and spoken to that upset me. The Salon Owner threatened to call Police on me and have me banned for being a 'poof!' My advice is to have your haircut anywhere in Aber Town as it is much cheaper and you do not get any hassle from Staff. It only costs £5 for Mens cut and Womens haircut would be cheaper also.

Paul.J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppj9)
    I dont know Laura. She happened to work at the Aberystwyth University Hairdresser. The point of the matter is that I have been mislead. Being a Student is hard enough like all you other guys but I was quite upset that I was talked to the way in which I had by the Salon Owner. I find £10 for a small cut very expensive for a Student. The Salon Owner concerned expalined I would need to pay the full £10 amount otherwise she would report me to Police. I agreed to pay as I did not want the matter tkaen further, but I felt extremely uncomfortable. The Salon Owner at Aberystwyth University informed me that she could charge clients as much as she wanted whether they were disatisfied or not. She stated I could have my hair shaved off and that it would only cost me a £5. Perhaps Laura got the £5 from this. But I didnt want my hair shaved therefore refused. It was the Salon Owner that cut my hair. I could not have my hair shaven off as I have not had it done before and would not know what it looked like. I informed the Salon Owner that I would inform other Students at Aberystwyth University, Lectures, Bar Staff, Canteen workers, Shop workers but the truth is I havent. It was a blank threat but I feel the Aberystwyth University Hairdresser is charging too much to their clients. People are better off visiting elsewhere like I informed the Salon Owner. She stated I should not bother telling anybody of the treatment as I would be degrading myself, and people would not take me seriously. I hope you all will take me seriously and thanks for the support. If you want to make most of your money it is better visiting Aberystwyth Town as it would only cost £5 not £10 like the Aberystwyth University Hairdresser charge. The service in which I received by the Salon worker was very poor. She did not perform well in cutting my hair as it had looked more or less the same as when I walked in. This is why I am upset,I feel it was a complete waste of money. If any of you guys want to get hold of me, PM me.
    I don't take you seriously, so I struggle to see how anyone meeting you could.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    £10 isn't even expensive.

Your hair was cut by the salon owner - I'd say it WOULD be more expensive. If your hair is cut by a trainee stylist it is much more likely to be cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    You should have asked someone else the price just to be sure.

And even for a student £10 isn't really that much at all.

ReputationRep:
    I wish that I could get cuts for a tenner. Well, actually mine are free now, but when I used to pay it was anything from £25-£35..depending if I was at home or at uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppj9)
    I went along to the Aberystwyth University Hairdresser to have my hair trimmed and was informed by a girl named Laura that it would cost me £5 before my cut as I would receive Student Discount being a Student. However, after I had my haircut by the Salon Owner she informed me it would cost me £10 as if I was not a Student it would cost me more. The Salon Owner of Aberystwyth University did not do a good job in cutting my hair at all..... I did not have much cut off and based on the reason I was a Student I feel this amount is expensive. I would like to inform other Students, Lectures, Bar Staff, Canteen Staff, Shop Workers- anybody working at Aber Uni that they are better off visiting a Hairdresser in town as they would make the most of their money. I informed the Salon Owner that I would inform other people of the treatment I had received, but she dismissed it stating I should not bother degrading myself as people would not take me seriously. I hope that I am not the only one out here that feels in this certain way. I am on a very low income being a Student and find it extremely unfair having to fork out £10 on a small trim. The Salon Worker informed me that the only way I would not be paying the £10 is that if she shaved it all off otherwise she would report me to the Police. I could not believe how abrupt, rude the Salon Worker was towards me when I informed her that I would not be coming back in the future. The Salon worker of Aber Uni Hairdresser stated she would be better off if I didnt return as I would be paying the full amount of £10 whether I liked it or not or she would phone the Police on me. I refused to have her shave all my hair off in order to only pay £5. However, the point is that I have been mislead and this is totally unacceptable. I would like other people to share their ideas and perhaps join the protest with me as haircuts in Aberystwyth Town cost only £5. Why should the Aberystwyth University Hairdresser be different?! The Salon Worker stated it was her Salon and that she could charge as much as she wanted to her clients. But she is blinging people of their money!!! I hope you take me seriously as it has upset me. I was shocked as I do not have much money, I am stuggling as all students do. Please get in touch.
    I didnt even realise you could get a hair cut for £10? you arent being ripped off, everywhere charges more than that x

ReputationRep:
    £10 isn't expensive? With that a family of five could live for a few months, and still have desert.

Laura said it cost a fiver, she was working there, she said it was for a hairCUT, not a shaven head, completely different catergories, next time ask for a receipt, if she doesn't give you one, say you want to write on the one the business keeps (write paid under protest) and if she refuses, you call the local authority, because I believe it's illegal, and with the paid under protest thing, you can take her to the small claims court or to the trading standards people (it's not hard, don't be put off).

On a side note, she was discriminating you (wheter you are, or are not gay), if she has banned you, take her to a hearing for discriminating against you because she thinks your sexuality is against what she believes in (take this point to mean you're sticking up for your own orientation), and if she aggrevates you while you're about to pay, kindly ask her to stop, if she doesn't you should wlak away, and if she calls the cops, she violated your human rights, she over charged you, broke the contract, doesn't trian her staff properly, and discriminated against you, and you could say you were about to pay, but she wouldn't agree, so you were going to pay at a further time, but she didn't listen to you, she was busy threating to ban you for being a "poof", so she's at fault. And I don't think you have to pay for something that is not as described, if you wanted your hair one way, she did it another, you should be asking for compensation.

Live by this motto: Don't get screwed.

ReputationRep:
    cool story, bro. shave your hair off and stop a-whinin'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppj9)
    The Salon Owner was such a ****I couldn't believe!!! I felt like flooring the ****!!! She had called me ****!!! It wasn't the fact that I had to pay £10 that really made me angry it was the moral behind it. It happened at Aberystwyth University Hairdresser next door to the Student Union Bar and Shop. I am never going near the place again. It was the way in which i was mislead and spoken to that upset me. The Salon Owner threatened to call Police on me and have me banned for being a '****!' My advice is to have your haircut anywhere in Aber Town as it is much cheaper and you do not get any hassle from Staff. It only costs £5 for Mens cut and Womens haircut would be cheaper also.

Paul.J
    Sorry mate but I think you need to grow up, maybe next time ask how much the child rates are as you're clearly acting like one. If you were as poor as you're making out to be then you wouldn't be going to get a haircut for a short trim, you'd ask the price before sitting in the chair and you'd say you're dissatisfied with the cut whilst still sitting in the chair if you really were.

I can see where the OP is coming from. If I was in his situation, I wouldn't care about the cost (because IMHO, even as a student, £10 isn't much) what I would care about is being told one thing, and then another thing happening.

How embarrassing would it have been if the OP only had £5 on him? Plus, it's not a case of 'stop whinging' etc. The OP is entitled to stick up for himself, and he is quite clearly doing that. I don't see the issue personally. If you're getting a good deal on your haircut - great! At least you're given one price, and that's the price you end up paying :cool:

ReputationRep:
    If I understand correctly:

At the start of the visit he was told £5, then he had his haircut, and the amount jumped to £10.
    The fact is they had an agreement on price, and any decent manager would accept that the member of staff made a mistake, and would have left the price at £5. He can't exactly return the 'haircut'.

This isn't Tesco where something scanned different at the till!.(not that there is one in Aber).

Glad I've left the place, realised that I don't like small town attitudes...

ReputationRep:
    The Hairdresser I had the bad experience was Aberystwyth University Hairdresser, next door to Student Union. The Salon Owner was a nasty ***** as she called me 'GAY!' The SLUT threatened to call Police on me. I paid but I was forced to pay. I felt incredibly uncofortable as I had been mislead and the manner in which I was spoken to was unreasonable, and unacceptable. I was humiliated and belittled, and I won't ever go near the place again. My advice is to go to a Hairdresser in Aber Town as it is much cheaper, and you don't get any hassle!!! Paul

ReputationRep:
    You didn't state that she called you "gay" in your original post but I expect you are suffering from post traumatic stress because of what happened to you human rights at the time and didn't recall all the horrible details of what happened to you for a while.You could see the student union solicitor about suing for assualt by being called gay and threatened with the police.
    I think there is a law against gay harrassment but you should legal advice on this.Could be you could report this awful incident to the chief of police .

ReputationRep:
    Libel, and flaming, he should have asked for help or peoples opinions, not saying he was about to commit violence, but how he stopped and simply walked away, I was sympathetic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    If this Laura worked there, then I would have given a fiver and just walked out. By telling you a price (£5) and you agreeing to have your hair cut, you both entered into a contract. Once they then decided to charge you £10, they broke this contract.
    But if Laura didn't work there, you have no leg to stand on.
    It's always cool to see lawyers giving out advice.

ReputationRep:
    I had the haircut because I wanted to ask a girl out. I asked the girl out from my course and gave her a Valentine Card and Rose. She then said that she had a boyfriend in America, and it really hurt. I felt like crap afterwards, I felt I had the haircut for nothing. It was so expensive as I am a Student. I'm incredibly skint so to the people that pay more than £10 then that is up to you. However, I am different and I refuse to pay more especially if I'm told it will be half that amount. I'm quite upset of the abusive and threatening messages I have received saying Im a '******!' I am not 'GAY!' I have no idea why the Salon Owner from Aberystwyth University Hairdresser called me that. The WHORE can BOG OFF and I hope she will loose many customers through people reading this thread of mine. I don't care that I got rejected by this girl Nicola Ord. She can do whatever she wants. It is the Salon Owner I am angry with and I realize I will have mixed reactions.

Paul

ReputationRep:
    Your changing your story all the time!

1)The hairdresser isnt the 'Aberystwyth University hairdresser' but someone who works in the union.
    Im not sure whether this woman rents the area in the union and runs it as her own shop, or the union employs her to manage it, but it is in no was run by the univeristy.

2) This Laura didnt work at the salon so the manager was right to charge you what she did. You should have asked before she started how much it would cost. £10 isnt out of this world either!

Also TBH all the things ive heard about the salon have been average, but not bad or any disasters.

ReputationRep:
    You are entitled to your opinion. The Salon was closes yesterday. I don't know who the **** is but she's lucky that I didn't deck her one for the way she spoke to me and threatened me. Some of you agree with me and some of you don't. I understand that, everybody has different opinions, it what makes the world go round. But none of you need worry I'm not going to assault the Cow or send Hate mail. I'm putting it down to experience, and walking away. I'm never going back there. I don't know how much trouble they've had before but the business is not doing that well. They charge too much. Laura is a blonde girl who DOES work at the Salon. I don't know whether the Salon Owner is employed by the Union but she did a crap job and showed that she could NOT manage well.

Paul

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.