Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i am in yr 12, and just found out that to do medicine at uni, i need to take the UKCAT and BMAT exams. Can someone enlighten me on what the exams are about....where i should apply as my school will not be involved?
    Any information would be useful....thankzzz

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT is done independently at a driving test centre. It's an online exam with four sections that you can easily prepare for with self-teach books available on Amazon etc. http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/

BMAT is only for Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL. Your school should register you for it. It's a two hour exam and has three papers, the first two of which are multiple choice and the last of which is an essay. http://www.admissionstests.cambridge...rg.uk/adt/bmat

The BMAT is supposed to be harder than the UKCAT, and is meant to be harder to prepare for, though there are again self-teach books you can buy, including the official guide which I found really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariia...)
    i am in yr 12, and just found out that to do medicine at uni, i need to take the UKCAT and BMAT exams. Can someone enlighten me on what the exams are about....where i should apply as my school will not be involved?
    Any information would be useful....thankzzz
    The UKCAT is just a glorified IQ test. Practice can't hurt but it is designed to be a test of natural ability. The BMAT on the other hand tests your ability to revise and apply knowledge. The fact that you are even considering these tests this early shows that you will probably do well.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    You don't necessarily need to take either of them. It depends on the schools you're applying to.

ReputationRep:
    ******* loved the BMAT, made me think for once.... UKCAT on the other hand was a pile of **** and was about as inspiring as a turd

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mariia,

UKCAT is an aptitude test that is accepted by 26 out of 31 UK universities. It's an online test and is conducted by Pearson VUE. The 2 hour test contains 5 sections that basically test your personality. It has sections that test your skills in verbal reasoning, quantitative analysis, abstract reasoning, decision analysis and non-cognitive analysis. You can register for the test anyday between early July and early October.

BMAT, on the other hand is subject-specific admissions test that is accepted by 5 UK universities. It is an offline (i.e. pen and paper) test which is conducted by Cambridge. There are 3 sections testing your logical reasoning, subject (science) knowledge and writing skills respectively in 2 hours time. The test date is 3rd November 2010.

You can take both tests since you are in the preparatory stage and you have some time to prepare. That will increase your chances to get into the univ of your choice.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin101)
    ******* loved the BMAT, made me think for once.... UKCAT on the other hand was a pile of **** and was about as inspiring as a turd
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Oh and in case people didn't notice I was lets just say, not quite with it when I made that post - hurrah for leaving tsr on after going out...

However the sentiment remains the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin101)
    Oh and in case people didn't notice I was lets just say, not quite with it when I made that post - hurrah for leaving tsr on after going out...

However the sentiment remains the same.
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guy sooo much! i am, to be honest quite surprised that most of you's have said im considering to take this test quite early, wheras i think im running out of time...... anyway, ive decided to get the UKCAT help book, practise practise and practise some more.(i know its meant to test youre natural ability-but trust me im probs the dopy'est girl youd ever seen(still clever though)) Then take the test.
    Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    does that make sence?...dopy yet clever? i meant academically clever-so good GCSE/EXAM results....but generally clueless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    :ditto:
    I swear you got a monster UKCAT score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master.K)
    I swear you got a monster UKCAT score?
    Yeah I did, but only because I learned to answer the questions in the exam efficiently. I still maintain that the UKCAT is completely pointless as far as selecting candidates for med school is concerned, it doesn't say anything about a candidate that isn't said better by their GCSEs and A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did, but only because I learned to answer the questions in the exam efficiently. I still maintain that the UKCAT is completely pointless as far as selecting candidates for med school is concerned, it doesn't say anything about a candidate that isn't said better by their GCSEs and A Levels.
    What resources did you use to practice?

ReputationRep:
    What resources did you use to practice?
    • 600 Qs book
    • BMAT and UKCAT uncovered
    • Practice questions on webiste

In reality I found that all the practice questions I did were a lot harder than the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    • 600 Qs book
    • BMAT and UKCAT uncovered
    • Practice questions on webiste

In reality I found that all the practice questions I did were a lot harder than the real thing.
    Ok thanks

How much did the BMAT and UKCAT uncovered book help for the UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks

How much did the BMAT and UKCAT uncovered book help for the UKCAT?
    It was okay, not as helpful as the 600 Qs book though. It had good explanations of the way to answer questions, but not so many practice questions which is what you really need to get a good score.

ReputationRep:
    where did you get the 600 Qs book from?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to have taken the UKCAT and BMAT before you get invited for interviews?? or what?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm also in year 12, and do schools register you for BMAT? Also, I'm thinking of purchasing the Passing the UKCAT and BMAT 2010 (Student Guides to University Entrance), 600 questions, BMAT AND UKCAT uncovered. Do you think I should buy these books now or is it generally too early?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.