Turn on thread page Beta

Hi

Just wondering - is there a line between feeling depressed a lot and sort of medical depression?

Like at what stage should you talk to people about it? As in when will they listen to you and not write you off as a whiney pain in the neck?

thanks

ps hope that makes sense. When does depression become a medical issue, in other words?

ReputationRep:
    When it's been going on consistently for like a few months and when it starts interfering with daily activities, I'd say. For example when you aren't going out doing the things you'd used to enjoy doing. Or when you'd rather stay inside your room and/or lay in bed most of the day not doing anything. Or maybe you're crying 5-7 days out of the week. Symptoms vary with each person..

ReputationRep:
    PS You can PM me anytime I'm happy to listen, I like trying to help people

ReputationRep:
    There are different types of depression disorders, such as constant depression or low-moods and swings between depression and mania, but of course these too come in varying severities, for example you can have bipolar I, bipolar II, or Cyclothemia, each within the category of bipolar depression disorders.

I would suggest you read up on these types of disorders to have a quick look and check if you feel your behaviour is more like one of them but in any case if depression is affecting your life seriously over a period, or many periods, of time then go see your doctor.

Chin up :top:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by kiwigirl)
    When it's been going on consistently for like a few months and when it starts interfering with daily activities, I'd say. For example when you aren't going out doing the things you'd used to enjoy doing. Or when you'd rather stay inside your room and/or lay in bed most of the day not doing anything. Or maybe you're crying 5-7 days out of the week. Symptoms vary with each person..

Right okay thanks for your reply.

And thanks for the pm offer but its nothing that can be sorted i think. Im not sure. Gargh.

ReputationRep:
    gargh

ReputationRep:
    There's no particular stage where you have to talk to someone about it. If you wanna talk to someone like a counsellor then do and if you don't, you don't have to. Most professional people shouldn't judge you for it.

ReputationRep:
    according to my psychology lesson.. you need to meet all the given criteria in order to b considered as depressed...-
    - at least 5 of the following symptoms must be present for 2week period time
    - symptoms must represent behaviour which is significantly different from previous behaviour
    - at least one symptom has to be a depressed mood or loss of interest or pleasure
    - symptoms shouldn't be associated with a recent loss or general medical condition.
    Symptoms:
    cognitive: low self-esteem, guilt, self-dislike, loss of libido, negative thoughts, suicidal thoughts, lack of ability to think or concentrate
    behavioural: loss of apetite (can be overeating as well), disordered sleep patterns (can be prolonged sleep as well), poor care of self or others, decreased in sexual activity, sucidal attempts
    physical: loss of weight, loss of energy, aches and pains, sleep disturbances, menstural change
    emotional: sadness, irritability, apathy ( loss of interest or pleasure in activities)
    ps: hope u don't have ..:o:

(Original post by Plimbu)
    according to my psychology lesson.. you need to meet all the given criteria in order to b considered as depressed...-
    - at least 5 of the following symptoms must be present for 2week period time
    - symptoms must represent behaviour which is significantly different from previous behaviour
    - at least one symptom has to be a depressed mood or loss of interest or pleasure
    - symptoms shouldn't be associated with a recent loss or general medical condition.
    Symptoms:
    cognitive: low self-esteem, guilt, self-dislike, loss of libido, negative thoughts, suicidal thoughts, lack of ability to think or concentrate
    behavioural: loss of apetite (can be overeating as well), disordered sleep patterns (can be prolonged sleep as well), poor care of self or others, decreased in sexual activity, sucidal attempts
    physical: loss of weight, loss of energy, aches and pains, sleep disturbances, menstural change
    emotional: sadness, irritability, apathy ( loss of interest or pleasure in activities)
    ps: hope u don't have ..:o:
    Thanks, thats been useful.

ReputationRep:
    I see a counsellor because of my eating disorder. I happened to walk in and tell her I wasn't feeling motivated to work, feeling suicidal etc, and she sent me to my doctor on Monday who put me on antidepressants. I still wouldn't say I'm depressed (I'm probably in denial... It's not normal to feel suicidal so often/lose all interest in everything etc). Go to your GP if you're worried, they just asked me a load of questions.

ReputationRep:
    hey
    i had this dilemma once
    they class depression as becoming 'medical' when there has been persistant low mood for at least 2 weeks (4 weeks if suffered a breavment or something traumatic)
    the low mood must interfere with everyday activities such as loss of pleasure, fatigue, suicidal thoughts. i hope that helps.
    feell better soon
    xxxx

Thanks everyone for the info, has cleared things up abit. Unfortunately i think I meet several of these "requirements".

Oh well.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Don't attempt to self diagnose yourself, even if you think you have the symptoms. If it's bothering you, see a doctor.

(Original post by hannah_dru)
    Don't attempt to self diagnose yourself, even if you think you have the symptoms. If it's bothering you, see a doctor.
    I dont want to self diagnose myself - i just wanted to know how severe it needs to be to see a doctor. I dont want to just go bothering people for no reason if its just general teenage angst that everybody gets =S

(Original post by steffi.alexa)
    I see a counsellor because of my eating disorder. I happened to walk in and tell her I wasn't feeling motivated to work, feeling suicidal etc, and she sent me to my doctor on Monday who put me on antidepressants. I still wouldn't say I'm depressed (I'm probably in denial... It's not normal to feel suicidal so often/lose all interest in everything etc). Go to your GP if you're worried, they just asked me a load of questions.
    Do you mind me asking how you brought up the convo with your parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I dont want to self diagnose myself - i just wanted to know how severe it needs to be to see a doctor. I dont want to just go bothering people for no reason if its just general teenage angst that everybody gets =S
    You wouldn't be bothering people though, that's what they're there for. I don't think it has to be particularly severe before you see a doctor. I went before I was at the severe end.

(Original post by hannah_dru)
    You wouldn't be bothering people though, that's what they're there for. I don't think it has to be particularly severe before you see a doctor. I went before I was at the severe end.
    Okay thanks btw iasked the poster above too, how did you bring about the convo with your parents/ sig other? this is what im struggling with atm

ReputationRep:
    these days everyone is depressed. grandma died, depressed..
    People are labeling themselves far too easy

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks btw iasked the poster above too, how did you bring about the convo with your parents/ sig other? this is what im struggling with atm
    You're welcome My mum basically knew from the fact that I wasn't coping in sixth form and that I was crying a lot at home and not able to do much. With my boyfriend at the time I often talked to him about problems and I just said what was going on, that I'd been to two doctors and that I'd been asked to do the questionnaire. It's a hard thing to come out with but sometimes it's good for the support.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind me asking how you brought up the convo with your parents?
    Much the same as with my eating disorder and other things, I just told them. It's far easier than making a big fuss etc, as it doesn't seem to freak them out as much. My Mum's not too happy about me taking antidepressants, but she's willing to let me give them a try. It seems to work that way?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.