Turn on thread page Beta

Erm depression maybe? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I dont want to self diagnose myself - i just wanted to know how severe it needs to be to see a doctor. I dont want to just go bothering people for no reason if its just general teenage angst that everybody gets =S
    This is exactly how I feel. The counsellor told me today to 'let other people be the judge' of whether or not I'm ill. I guess it is helping me to know that things should start to get better by the end of the month (of taking the pills), which helps me get through feeling low. It's odd because I have no idea how to deal with the thoughts etc, unlike my eating disorder, however I know that getting help will help me with this.

I wouldn't have said I was depressed, but the counsellor, doctor etc all agree, so I guess I'm wrong! You're not wasting people's time - that's what they are there for, you know something's not quite right, they'll help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks, thats been useful.
    glad i was of help

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the basic answer to your question is that clinical depression, ie the kind people have to take seriously and not just dismiss out of hand, is a sustained period of low mood, which affects the quality of your everyday life.

So, if you've felt low for a month or more, and you have noticed that being down has stopped you doing things you'd normally have done, or made you change your behaviour in a negative way, you should see your GP reasonably soon and get it sorted out.

Here are a few things to look out for:
    - a general irritability
    - difficulty sleeping or sleeping too much
    - difficulty in relating to other people, in reacting to them, in wanting to sustain a relationship with them
    - a feeling of pointlessness with regards to life, and a lack of motivation to undertake necessary tasks like eating etc
    - not wanting to move out of your comfort zone, but like not in the usual way. Nobody wants to move outside their comfort zone because it's comfy, but I mean here that you are totally dead set against it and nothing will move you on the issue
    - a loss of appetite, or excessive eating to comfort yourself

There's loads more good stuff on the TSR guide to depression, and on wikipedia, as well as many other sites after a google search for "depression".

I hope things pick up.

Oh, and feel free to PM me if you need any help or want to talk.

EDVB, happy to help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.