Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Alright.. I'm a current undergrad at UEA studying BA in history and politics. I applied to a few universities, and have got offers from two so far (UCL and Newcastle). However... Newcastle is for MSc in Computing Science and UCL is for MSc Security Studies. Two complete different things, which both interest me equally as much.

I'm a little puzzled of what to do so was wondering what all of you would do?

Also..I would fund Newcastle by a career development loan of 9-10k, this would cover both tutition fees and living expenses. Whereas for UCL, I would need to defer for a year, save up and take a career development loan of 10k and work part-time during my studies.

So currently I'm leaning towards NU partially because of financial reasons. I haven't even considered grants/burseries etc. because I doubt my grades are in the top percentile to get them. I'm also an EU student which makes things trickier...

What would you do if you were fortunate enough to have two career paths laid in front of you? Also, does anyone have any ideas on what the starting salary is for someone who doing a MSc in a social science?

*takes a deep breath in* :woo:

ReputationRep:
    maybe

ReputationRep:
    are you more interested in studying international relations or computing? There will be a lot of work packed in to a masters, my friend studing Msc Environmental Management has projects due every week, seems as if it's 2 or 3 years worth of work covered in 1 year! I think computing would make you more employable, but is that what you really want to focus on? you have to have the motivation to meet the work demands of the subject to succeed.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.