Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Right as the title says - does anyone else constantly get picked on by the same lecturer? by 'picked on' I mean constantly picked out of the whole class to answer questions and etc? . .. I did a presentation today, mentioned some theory . . however one girl in the group decided to contradict the theory I had found and I was picked out to answer it . . . i can't remember what crap answer I replied back with . . .but I said something! :/

It has also not been the first . . I usually sit in my lectures busy listening and this same lecturer picks on me YET again to answer questions - out of 30+ other students!

I sound like a whinge bag lol, but interested if anyone gets picked on a lot???? . . . :/

ReputationRep:
    Ergh, i hate being picked on!

ReputationRep:
    You weren't being picked on. You made a point, someone refuted your point, and you were asked to address the refutation. It's not like you were picked at random to answer that question, unless I'm missing something? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    If he is going to pick on you just study harder so you wont reply with another rubbish answer.

ReputationRep:
    We never get picked out of lectures! There's usually between 250 and 500 people in each one! Even in tutorials they generally don't pick anyone.

I think you should try putting your hand up more often to answer questions before he picks on you or try asking him really awkward questions to get your own back :top:

ReputationRep:
    you answer questions in lectures :/ that seems a little strange. the most interaction we have is if someone spots a mistake!

you could always try just ignoring him

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound like you're being picked on at all. A few of my lecturers always ask me stuff... Because they know I'll know the answer and it makes it easier. Try to get on better with them. Forge personal relationships.

(Original post by Pink Bullets)
    You weren't being picked on. You made a point, someone refuted your point, and you were asked to address the refutation. It's not like you were picked at random to answer that question, unless I'm missing something? :confused:
    But wouldn't it have been fair to ask both of us, rather than picking on just one person? . . .

Just after opinion.

PS: It's not the first this same lecturer picks on - in lecturers he asks random questions and then chooses me to answer.

(Original post by puma21)
    If he is going to pick on you just study harder so you wont reply with another rubbish answer.
    It was a presentation we were doing today - I mentioned something, but then someone contradicted what I said . . .and he went back to me and ask this really odd question . . even two of the girls in my group were like ''that's a nasty question?'' . . . .:/ I kinda felt like he was testing me if I had written what I had - which I did, stayed up til 4am this morning working on it. Unlike the one girl who contradicted what I said got her info from wikipedia!!

(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    you answer questions in lectures :/ that seems a little strange. the most interaction we have is if someone spots a mistake!

you could always try just ignoring him
    Yea we get asked stupid questions. If no one answers he picks on people and everytime he has done a lecture and I have been there - he picks on me!!

He is lecturing in a few weeks time and I am considering not going because im fed up of the constant ''<my name> do you know such and such?'' .. . because im busy concentrating on the lecture I don't have time to think so I usually just stay quiet or wait for him to move on to someone else (if no one has butted in).

(Original post by Broderss)
    We never get picked out of lectures! There's usually between 250 and 500 people in each one! Even in tutorials they generally don't pick anyone.

I think you should try putting your hand up more often to answer questions before he picks on you or try asking him really awkward questions to get your own back :top:
    There is only 30+ people (on a good day in our lectures).

I came home and talked to mum about it and she said exactly what you just said. Maybe I should just look @ it positively and use it as a learning curve, rather than a negative picking on me :dontknow: . . .

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he is choosing you for a positive reason? He might think that you are really intelligent or have an original viewpoint and so will pose a good point? Or he might be hinting that you need to study a little bit more and so is trying to push you in the right direction by asking you questions, and then if you get it wrong or haven't understood, you know what you need to work on.

As with the presentation, that doesn't seem like he was "picking on" you, just asking you to respond to someone contradicting your ideas, and by asking her, it could have turned into a debate with you both arguing your sides, and he might not have wanted to get into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    There is only 30+ people (on a good day in our lectures).

I came home and talked to mum about it and she said exactly what you just said. Maybe I should just look @ it positively and use it as a learning curve, rather than a negative picking on me :dontknow: . . .
    He may even think you're the only one smart enough to answer his questions, so he may have faith in you :borat:

(Original post by Broderss)
    He may even think you're the only one smart enough to answer his questions, so he may have faith in you :borat:
    LoL That is something my mum said. My marks have been consistent and I reckon because of that he constantly picks on me! . . :dontknow:.

Ahh well . . .not to worry.

ReputationRep:
    He's not picking on you, would you finally grow up? You sound like a kid.

Today my tutor asked me if Chinese development was because of Import substitution or export orientated industrialisation. I didn't have an answer other than :lolwut: and he probably knew I was dosing off. I'm not going moan about being picked on though for God's sake. You really do sound so immature. He wasn't picking on you in the first instance - asking you to refute a point someone made against you - gosh how terrible!

Last week my lecturer stopped me mid-presentation to get annoyed with me for not including some obscure piece of information about Catalonian law, I'm not whining about it.

You're at uni, get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he likes the sound of your voice?

ReputationRep:
    Well, there were only two of you doing the presentation, so it might have just been that you talked more during the presentation so came across as more knowledgeable or interested, or anything. If you're basing it on that presentation alone, then just forget about it

If you mean it's happening all the time, like he's giving a lecture asks a question and always seems to pick you, then yeah, he might be, but be careful.

Firstly, spend a few lectures just counting how many questions are asked, and how many times you get asked the question. It might be a subconscious thing and you're just a bit unfortunate.

If it's clear that you're being picked on, first course of action is just to move seats. Sit somewhere else - not necessarily right at the back because it's unlikely he'll ask someone that far back, but just move seats for a few lectures.

If it continues, then speak to either speak to the lecturer, or since that can be daunting, speak to your Course Rep who can look into it instead

Although, if you're doing something to make him pick on you, like playing tic-tac-toe, txting on your phone or listening to your iPod, then it's probably because he doesn't like being ignored and would rather people were there to learn.

Sorry if it feels like I'm accusing you of something. Some of that sounded a bit arsey. I'm tired.

Alternatively, "man up" or some **** people say nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    I never get asked questions, in fact I haven't once since joining university in 2008... It's good, I hate being put on the spot. Key is not to forge any kind of relationship with your lecturer, and don't answer questions even if you know the answer. If you do you get known as the "guy who knows the answers", which is good if you like the attention, but not good if you don't...

ReputationRep:
    I get asked questions because in the past I've shown that I can answer them, and will usually be one of the few willing to have a stab at it. It might be for that rather than have the class sit in silence for the next five minutes whilst someone plucks up the courage to give an answer.

ReputationRep:
    Hah, at least you're not doing a science subject OP.

In science, when you're wrong... you're wrong. You can't defend yourself at all. I'm confident with speaking in lectures but being told 'no, that's not quite right' by a lecturer in front of a 100 people is always extremely embarrassing.

Don't feel bad about it anyway OP - it's good that you are being forced to defend your opinions. Gives you a tougher skin and exercises the brain!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.