The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No, there's too many people in my lectures and they're generally not interactive.
I agree with some of the previous posts... it could be that he has confidence in you to make an effort at giving a good answer.

It might also help to avoid wearing bright colours. I don't know what colours you normally wear and what colour the seats in your lecture theatres are, but blending in might make him less likely to pick you out :o:

If he's asking you questions a lot more than anyone else, then maybe you could mention it to him sometime and explain how you feel about it.

I can also sympathise that it's a bit intimidating to suddenly hear, 'You! What's this? What happens with that?'. Dealing with interaction and answering questions is part of university, but if the lecture asks the same person a lot or does it in a scary manner, then it's not unreasonable to dislike it.
1) Sit in a place where his eyes don't wander.
2) Don't make a spectacle of yourself.

Don't see how you could get picked out doing those 2 things. Our lecturer's don't know us from Joe Bloggs so they have no reason to believe certain people are able to answer certain Q's. They only seem to 'pick on' people who butt in/answer rhetorical questions.
OP sorry to hear about this! I remember when I was studying Arabic (I dropped out of it though) and the lecturer used to FORCE people to answer questions, and would deliberately pick people who were weaker at the subject. I once had to translate a stupid hard newspaper article about middle eastern politics, the vocab was insane, the grammar impossible. It was really horrible! I think I'm still scarred by it.

It's not effective teaching tbh. It just causes resentment.
somethingbeautiful
1) Sit in a place where his eyes don't wander.
2) Don't make a spectacle of yourself.

Don't see how you could get picked out doing those 2 things. Our lecturer's don't know us from Joe Bloggs so they have no reason to believe certain people are able to answer certain Q's. They only seem to 'pick on' people who butt in/answer rhetorical questions.

His eyes wander all over the room and he knows everyone's name - he photocopy's this sheet with people's pictures on with student number to help jog his memory. And I don't make a spectacle of myself. I just sit in my seat, concentrate on my note taking and just generally blend in with other students.
I have never once butted in on questions or anything of the sort. Im just me lol, go to class regularly and etc.
Undiscovery
It's not effective teaching tbh. It just causes resentment.

Im considering not going to the lectures he is going to be doing . . because im fed up of it! I like going to lectures and I don't like missing out on things, but the constant ''<my name> . . what's this? ''can you expand on this please?'' . . its just really annoying. :frown:
I get this in tutorials. Mainly because I look like I am not paying attention when I am.
DancinBallerina
His eyes wander all over the room and he knows everyone's name - he photocopy's this sheet with people's pictures on with student number to help jog his memory. And I don't make a spectacle of myself. I just sit in my seat, concentrate on my note taking and just generally blend in with other students.
I have never once butted in on questions or anything of the sort. Im just me lol, go to class regularly and etc.

He sounds a bit odd :s-smilie: .
ImperceptibleNinja
I agree with some of the previous posts... it could be that he has confidence in you to make an effort at giving a good answer.

It might also help to avoid wearing bright colours. I don't know what colours you normally wear and what colour the seats in your lecture theatres are, but blending in might make him less likely to pick you out :o:

If he's asking you questions a lot more than anyone else, then maybe you could mention it to him sometime and explain how you feel about it.

I can also sympathise that it's a bit intimidating to suddenly hear, 'You! What's this? What happens with that?'. Dealing with interaction and answering questions is part of university, but if the lecture asks the same person a lot or does it in a scary manner, then it's not unreasonable to dislike it.

Thing is . .I never answer or I never answer what his stupid questions are asking. YET he still asks me questions in the next lecture :s-smilie: .
I didn't wear anything yesterday that made me stand out, colour wise - (just that im quite tall which I can't do anything about :tongue:) but I don't wear outlandish colours and etc = I just dress suitable for uni. :dontknow:.

If he was a reasonable person to talk to, I would about the whole thing, but he's a very peculiar man and I really don't want to get on the wrong side of him.
somethingbeautiful
He sounds a bit odd :s-smilie: .

That he is! . . .

crazylemon
I get this in tutorials. Mainly because I look like I am not paying attention when I am.

But I always pay attention in lectures. I don't sit there texting, whispering, eating in lectures like one girl does!!

So I don't understand why really . . .:dontknow:
DancinBallerina
Thing is . .I never answer or I never answer what his stupid questions are asking. YET he still asks me questions in the next lecture :s-smilie: .
I didn't wear anything yesterday that made me stand out, colour wise - (just that im quite tall which I can't do anything about :tongue:) but I don't wear outlandish colours and etc = I just dress suitable for uni. :dontknow:.

If he was a reasonable person to talk to, I would about the whole thing, but he's a very peculiar man and I really don't want to get on the wrong side of him.

Ahh, that's fair enough... It's a shame, though :frown: How long do you have to be taught by him?
ImperceptibleNinja
Ahh, that's fair enough... It's a shame, though :frown: How long do you have to be taught by him?

He's doing week 7 and 8 in a few weeks time. I just had a look and the topics he is doing are topics I have a keen interest in! :/

So might just brave it and go. Just do my best to answer questions or just reply with ''dont know, sorry''.
Absinth
Could you pretend not to look at him? Like look down and take notes when you have a feeling he's going to pick on you?
I'd hate it if lecturers asked me on the spot questions in lectures. :s-smilie:

I did that once before and he made this comment ''it's funny how when im going to ask questions, people immediately avoid eye contact and ''pretend'' to take notes'' and then he blurted out my name! :cool:
Absinth
Maybe he fancies you.
:dontknow:

Oh please no. . lol The guy is going through a divorce I was told yesterday . . which some thinks might be a reason why he's been acting v weird for the past year or so! . . but can't see how that would be a reason to constantly pick on me :dontknow:.
Absinth
Hmm... in any case, I wouldn't skip lectures because of it. There's nothing wrong with saying that you don't know if you honestly don't know the answer! Or maybe give him a disgusted look if he is about to pick on you. Lol.

Im guna grit my teeth and go - and just say ''dont know' if he asks questions. Hopefully he'll get the hint after a while and ask someone else.

Latest

Trending

Trending