Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I've just bought the lovely new Casio fx-9860GII SD, Casio's latest graphic calculator. It does NOT have CAS, therefore I can use it in A-level exams, but after spending so much money I was wondering if I'll be able to use it next year? I've heard unis are quite tight on calculator usage, so should I be holding on to my old fx-991 ES (the standard one everyone seems to have for A-levels now) and just selling my old graphic calc? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    We're not allowed to use calculators at all. I suggest you look at each of the universities in question, given I'm aware that some only allow you to use certain models which you must buy from them, or get yours approved (then a sticker is applied). Most of the maths at university level is designed to test your logic, reasoning and ability to put forward proofs/arguments, and is not about "getting the answer" as A-levels are, which was something I was rather disappointed to find out :p: So, even if you have the latest calculator, expect it to be as good as a house brick during exams.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I don't remember using a calculator in many exams. maybe 5 out of 30 and only needed to make rudimentary calculations or a stats function.

ReputationRep:
    We have to use the fx-115MS. It's basically the calculator from high school (the one before that blue natural display one, which everyone uses at college), however it also does complex numbers and calculus. Downside is it isn't natural display which is VERY annoying if you're doing say continued fraction expansions or just any job requiring accuracy and/or surds.
    Although to be honest, I just use that silver casio calc which everyone uses. The version of the blue one i mentioned that does complex numbers/vectors/matrices/calculus etc etc. I even used it in our maths exams in jan (took both in just in case) and noone said anything.

However as others have said, you don't need a calc that much tbh. I needed it for calculus and the calculations fit of proof.
    Also to do basic sums because I still have to count up in my head for the times tables and/or count on my finger. My excuse is I do maths degree not mental arithmetic and I have said calculator for any problems (or pen and paper) :P

ReputationRep:
    at uni we have 2 different models of calculator we're allowed to use in exams. and thats it.

graphical calculators are still useful to have outside the exam room when you're working through problems etc so i'd say keep it. but do expect to have to buy a uni approved calculator when you get there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orionmoo)
    Although to be honest, I just use that silver casio calc which everyone uses.
    Yeah that's the fx-991ES which I was contemplating selling as the new one does everything it does.
    (Original post by jayshah31)
    Most of the maths at university level is designed to test your logic, reasoning and ability to put forward proofs/arguments, and is not about "getting the answer" as A-levels are, which was something I was rather disappointed to find out So, even if you have the latest calculator, expect it to be as good as a house brick during exams.
    Thanks to those who've made these points, it's given me a fair idea. I didn't buy the calc in mind of using it in uni, and it'll never be useless, as I love just mucking about with things anyway on it.
    I just thought it might be a bonus, but if I'd be in the same position as everyone else (i.e start from scratch and buy one off the uni) I might as well get rid of my old ones.

Thanks to all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korobeiniki)
    Yeah that's the fx-991ES which I was contemplating selling as the new one does everything it does.

Thanks to those who've made these points, it's given me a fair idea. I didn't buy the calc in mind of using it in uni, and it'll never be useless, as I love just mucking about with things anyway on it.
    I just thought it might be a bonus, but if I'd be in the same position as everyone else (i.e start from scratch and buy one off the uni) I might as well get rid of my old ones.

Thanks to all.
    Keep one for spare at least. But it is best just buying the one the uni advises/requires. The universities shop should sell it once you get there..

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't allowed to use a calculator at all in any of my maths exams at Uni. In physics exams we were just allowed simple scientific ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korobeiniki)
    This is exactly what I thought before I came to university. I haven't needed a calculator once in these ~5 months simply because the mathematics doesn't require it. I guess you'll only see this once you start.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 10, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.