Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I was just reading chapter four, and then came across a question about the importance and revelation of Gatsbys dream in chpt 4.....
    i know the revelation reveals gatsbys character: his romantic side and his backgroud, also daisy and her dissapointment with her marriage: that she couldnt see gatsby because her family wouldnt let her, any i have more ideas..
    any ideas? how would this be important for the novels main idea?

ReputationRep:
    It links to the American Dream in a sense that Gatsby has all the material wealth he desires,which the American Dream is often linked to.Yet we see Gatsby representing the dream as something deeper, love.

It also explains Nicks ambivalent attitude, towards Gatsby.
    Gatsby represents the moral decadence of crime, which Nick dislikes as he sees himself as very ''honest''.
    Yet the romantic hopfullness in Gatsby is something Nick admires deeply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    It links to the American Dream in a sense that Gatsby has all the material wealth he desires,which the American Dream is often linked to.Yet we see Gatsby representing the dream as something deeper, love.

It also explains Nicks ambivalent attitude, towards Gatsby.
    Gatsby represents the moral decadence of crime, which Nick dislikes as he sees himself as very ''honest''.
    Yet the romantic hopfullness in Gatsby is something Nick admires deeply.
    so basically the novels main idea is the American Dream, and how Gatsby's was something less shallow than the material wealth many Americans aspired for; that his love for Daisy was really what drove him to get money. He went on a journey, full of different faces, unhappiness and loneliness too, perhaps, in order to achieve his real inward happiness. Gatsby, untill this point in the novel, is an empty character with an empty life: he has noone to share his wealth with, no true meaning to it either. When we are given the story of his past, the "sad things that happened to [him]", he starts becoming a central character, and we understand why such a man can accept this life he lives. We see his love for daisy, the way he looked at her "in a way that every girl wants to be looked at sometime", and the romantic side of Gatsby is revealed.
    On Nicks behalf, you say his "ambivalent attitude", are you referring to his (possibly) judgemental narration? Nick sees himself as "honest" as you say, yet his narration and the plot doesn't agree? am i correct to make that assumption?
    Im sorry its just and interesting question and i wanna make and analysis to understand the chapter better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhb777)
    so basically the novels main idea is the American Dream, and how Gatsby's was something less shallow than the material wealth many Americans aspired for; that his love for Daisy was really what drove him to get money. He went on a journey, full of different faces, unhappiness and loneliness too, perhaps, in order to achieve his real inward happiness. Gatsby, untill this point in the novel, is an empty character with an empty life: he has noone to share his wealth with, no true meaning to it either. When we are given the story of his past, the "sad things that happened to [him]", he starts becoming a central character, and we understand why such a man can accept this life he lives. We see his love for daisy, the way he looked at her "in a way that every girl wants to be looked at sometime", and the romantic side of Gatsby is revealed.
    On Nicks behalf, you say his "ambivalent attitude", are you referring to his (possibly) judgemental narration? Nick sees himself as "honest" as you say, yet his narration and the plot doesn't agree? am i correct to make that assumption?
    Im sorry its just and interesting question and i wanna make and analysis to understand the chapter better!
    I wouldn't say Gatsby had an empty life, I think that applies to Jordan,Tom and Daisy. Their lives are just endlessly drifting.
    I'd say Gatsby's dream consumed his every hour and thought, all that he worked for was Daisy. While Gatsby is a criminal, he is still the hero.
    Because he chased his dream, even though we could see it fading rapidly towards the end, the fact is he still tried.
    Yes, Nick claims not to judge people, yet he does with Gatsby, which contradicts his claim. So we can't be sure how far we can trust Nick as a narrator.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 10, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.