Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I was basically wondering if anyone knew anything about the influence that WW2 had on France / French society? How things have changed etc. I have a French oral mock in 2 weeks and just wondered if anyone could help me out a bit?
    Any information at all would be really helpful, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't know huge amounts apart from areas you could look into.
    First, Charles de Gaulle and the effect that he had. Especially in the development of the fourth and fifth republics.

Then you have Americanization, companies such as coca cola investing massively into France which opened its doors to such investment as a result of Marshall Aid - aid that was given out because of the devastation to the European economy that WW2 caused.

Also, perhaps most importantly, is the 'Resistance myth'. This myth, that the French had resisted Nazi occupation in the majority, played a huge part in French society for many years. It got to the point that you could only hold an important office of state if you could prove that you actively resisted the Nazis...

Those are the themes that spring to mind, hope it helps, I'm not really an expert.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.