Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I need to save a lot of money for the future years so want to get a good savings account with really good interest(i've already got one with Britania but don't think the interest is very good)

I've found this one just wondered if its any good or if there's any better one's out there that you have seen?

http://www.scottishwidows.co.uk/bank...unt_intro.html

Also what would you say a resonable amount to take out of my bank account each month would be?

(When I start nursing I'll get a bursary of around £500 per month and will be working part time - if I work every weekend when i'm not on placement(which is for 6weeks) i'll get around £300 per month. But when i'm on placement probably wil only be able to work 1 weekend a month. )

ReputationRep:
    I put some of mine in an iSaver on if.com (intelligent finance). It's easy to set up, has pretty decent interest and easy to manage as it's online. It's linked to Bank of Scotland I think. Hope this helps, just thought it might be an option you hadn't looked into yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie1990)
    I put some of mine in an iSaver on if.com (intelligent finance). It's easy to set up, has pretty decent interest and easy to manage as it's online. It's linked to Bank of Scotland I think. Hope this helps, just thought it might be an option you hadn't looked into yet

Oo thanks, I will take a look

ReputationRep:
    Just had a look at the intelligent finance.

Not as good interest rates as the scottish widows link that I posted.

An online rate of 2.49% AER
    Cash ISA Interest rate 2.50% AER/GROSS variable.
    and the direct savings is only 0.05% AER/GROSS variable!!

Comparing it to scottish widows: Rate of 2.70% AER includes a bonus of 0.69% for the first 12 months - for new customers to Scottish Widows Bank

ReputationRep:
    much better rate here, 3.65%
    http://www.firstsave.co.uk/accounts/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    much better rate here, 3.65%
    http://www.firstsave.co.uk/accounts/
    Interest is very good but don't like the conditions...

For the fixed rate bond accounts:

Minimum investment of £1,000 to get your interest paid annually.
    Minimum investment of £5,000 to get your interest paid monthly.

Whereas with scottish widows you can get that interest like above but opening your account with £1 which is really good!

I'll try comparing other accounts - thanks for the link!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go for an online-based account as they tend to offer better interest rates.

Having said that, you'll struggle to get any particularly good rates at the moment.

How much you can save will depend on your living costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    How much you can save will depend on your living costs.
    well i'll be living at home - rent free.

Will have to pay around £300 for my car & petrol per month though.

Also what is meant by a tax identification number? I don't think I have one

ReputationRep:
    At a guess, your NI number?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    At a guess, your NI number?

No its not NI because it asks for that too think I know what it is now.

Looked on my pay slip and theres 'tax code = BR ' which my dad says stands for basic rate - emergency tax or something like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    No its not NI because it asks for that too think I know what it is now.

Looked on my pay slip and theres 'tax code = BR ' which my dad says stands for basic rate - emergency tax or something like that!
    Is this for an application form? My guess would also have been your NI number, though it could be your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), which not everyone will have (you should have one if you complete a self-assessment return, for example). I'd suggest that you get in touch with the institution requesting the number to confirm.

It's also worth pointing out that with a tax code of "BR" you're quite likely to be overpaying Income Tax on your wages/salary. Take a look here for more details and how an explanation of how to fix this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Is this for an application form? My guess would also have been your NI number, though it could be your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), which not everyone will have (you should have one if you complete a self-assessment return, for example). I'd suggest that you get in touch with the institution requesting the number to confirm.

It's also worth pointing out that with a tax code of "BR" you're quite likely to be overpaying Income Tax on your wages/salary. Take a look here for more details and how an explanation of how to fix this.

Ah thanks for that - I will take a look! I thought I was paying too much!

Its definitely not NI because it asked for that in the line before the Tax code.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.