Turn on thread page Beta

Why everybody is going to Spain? watch

ReputationRep:
    It can be dirt cheap, is culturally accessible (the tacky touristy parts of Spain are very similar to parts of England) and has great weather.

I think the money is the most influential factor in it all though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Boring??!

I've never been to Spain, but I've read a lot about it. When I do go, I'll be avoiding Benidorm like the plague, and the rest of the Costa del Sol doesn't sound very nice either tbh.

The places I'd love to go to are Barcelona, Madrid, Valladolid, Toledo, Seville, Málaga, Santiago de la Compostela, Pamplona, Granada, Cádiz, Salamanca, Tarragona, Caceres, Córdoba, Segovia Aqueduct, Bilbao... I love places that are historical, do have some good places to eat and drink but aren't very touristy, and have good museums, art galleries, old buildings, markets (whether food & drink, arts & crafts, books, clothes etc.), unspoiled beaches, natural wonders, opportunities for adventure sports ... obviously not too many places would have all of these, but any combination I'd love! There's a huge variety between different places in Spain, I'd definitely give it another go if I were you OP!

to be totally honest, it's worth going there!
    I'm just saying it'd be better if you visit a country in other continent or such (in my opinion at least).

I do like your interests!

and yeah, i'll give it another go

(Original post by linkdapink)
    I couldn't care less if there were a million british tourists, as long as there's sun and some peace and quiet (yeah a contradiction to the british tourists) I'm happy.
    mmmmm:rolleyes: good point!

(Original post by shessolovely)
    To learn spanish... that's my reason
    buena suerte!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    I'm going to spain but i have to do so for my degree. I think i'd try to go somewhere like sweden or something if i could just go travelling around wherever i wanted to go to.
    I'd love to go to Sweden!

all the luck with your degree

(Original post by marcosgll)
    I'm from Segovia by the way!! but it was much more things that the roman aqueduct!!
    Maybe you want to check the wikipedia article of this great medieval, unspoilt town.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segovia

And, yes, I love advertising my home town! =)

sounds like a lovely place!

(Original post by Christina90)
    I'm going to Egypt at Easter
    awesome!
    I've been there, don't miss Kushari!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Averroes)
    to be totally honest, it's worth going there!
    I'm just saying it'd be better if you visit a country in other continent or such (in my opinion at least).
    Oh I have visited countries in Asia, Australasia and South America as well as Europe, it's just that I haven't spent nearly as much time in Europe as the other places, and would love to spend lots of time exploring properly. Spain is a country I've always wanted to go to, but I'd like to go to places outside of the Costa del Sol bubble because I think they'd be a lot more interesting and less tourist-driven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    As in La Coruña?
    Haven't been that far west, would love to. But Asturias is nice.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think Spain is the most visited country in the world (or if not, the second one, after France) because it has great culture, it's very well connected to every part of the world, and has done well in attracting people from everywhere, promoting what it has to offer, which is A LOT.

Tourists mainly think of Spain as it being sunny and a good place to go clubbing (which is dreadful, as I'm from Mallorca and I know about the horrible reputation British people have here amongst the locals, all they think about English and German tourists is that they are drunk all the time, get into fights and trouble, go around half naked, which is prohibited in most parts of Spain for not being hygenic, and so on...).

To those who are bored with Spain, I'd suggest places like Madrid (which I love more and more every time I go back), Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca (avoid the main touristy areas), Granada, Sevilla, Galicia, Asturias, País Vasco, Toledo, Segovia, Salamanca, Valladolid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Menorca, Burgos, La Rioja, Córdoba... There's an endless list of amazing places to go, filled with history, culture, food, traditions...

What I love about Spain is that it's really diverse, but only people who travel within Spain actually get to know that... South to North, West to East, Mainland Spain to the Islands, everything's different, still keeping old traditions, different architecture, lifestyles and even languages...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.