Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Beginning of the end for Spotify and streaming music? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Record label Warner Music has said it will stop licensing its songs to free music streaming services.

Companies like Spotify, We7 and Last.fm give free, legal and instant access to millions of songs, funded by adverts.

Warner, one of the four major labels, whose artists include REM and Michael Buble, said such services were "clearly not positive for the industry".
    What do you all think this will mean for services like Spotify? Do you use Spotify or a similar service?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8507885.stm

ReputationRep:
    Unless they can start making serious money, the streaming sites are going to find it very hard to continue. Though Warner saying that they're clearly not positive for the industry isn't helping anyone, the big music companies NEED to invest in adapting to the age of illegal downloading, or they'll get left far behind.

ReputationRep:
    Do they want people to go back to downloading mp3 illegally or something? What a stupid move. If they stop supporting the legal streaming sites everyone will simply move back to torrents, p2p, and software that allows you to rip music from flash videos (in fact there's even a firefox add-on for it to make it easy). If they think everyone's going to flock to iTunes, Amazon, etc after this move they're rather deluded.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, Spoitfy doesn't have a profitable business model. In the long term it certainly isn't viable or sustainable. Apparently artists recieve around £6.00 for half a million plays. Its no wonder labels are moving away from it.

I always (and still do) viewed Spotify as something nice to have but that wouldn't last forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Do they want people to go back to downloading mp3 illegally or something? What a stupid move.
    QFT

Since using I've started to use spotify the amount of music i acquire through the use of the internet has dramatically reduced. It it was to close or whatever, the chanced of me buying stuff would be slim.

ReputationRep:
    Unless Sony pull out I wouldn't even take notice, even though I don't use streaming sites/programs any more

ReputationRep:
    I see what they did. They let all their music be played for free so people become addicted and used to listening to music all the time, so that now then can go back to only charging for purchases of music so people are forced to buy it and they make monies. Bravo.

ReputationRep:
    The record companies are going to do what makes them the most money. People using streaming services aren't buying music anymore, thus the record companies aren't making money. This is why we can't have nice things.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Their comment that people would move to a pay monthly thing is ridiculous. Why the hell would you pay monthly to listen to music that you can then not play again if you stop paying? You could just buy the music instead.

ReputationRep:
    We need to go back to CDs. I don't like downloading albums - singles I'm fine with - and I can't find some of them online for a reasonable price.. they aren't even that old!

I read it to mean the songs will all still be on Spotify Premium. If they opened it up without the need for invites, surely loads more people would hear the adverts = more money to the artists and labels?

ReputationRep:
    I don't care, I'm using SoulSeek, have been for the past 6 years, it's awesome and RIAA are far from closing it as it's so niche.

ReputationRep:
    Theyve shot themselves in the foot. Doing this wont make people buy music, theyll just go back to downloading it (even though im not convinced people actually stopped...), and Warner will make absolutely zero money from that. I dont see how its "clearly not positive" either, they basically had to do nothing to make money this way, spotify (or whatever) do all the hard work, all Warner have to do is sign a contract letting spotify use the songs, then Warner get money for doing nothing. Have I missed something here?

ReputationRep:
    It means more people will go back to torrents.

gg :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    The music industry has really ****** up with the way it has handled the possibilities of the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't mean much for me. This just means I'll stop listening to their music; it doesn't mean I'm going to go out and buy all their albums all of a sudden.

ReputationRep:
    Bahaha, major record labels are hilarious, disgustly greedy but still.

ReputationRep:
    Great! My whole dissertation is based on trying to prove that licensing out more to the likes of Spotify is great for the future of the music industry.

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with paying for music? I pay for music where possible, i want the artists i enjoy to be able to substain a living...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Bear)
    Great! My whole dissertation is based on trying to prove that licensing out more to the likes of Spotify is great for the future of the music industry.
    There was another major label which said a week ago that Spotify was well on its way to becoming a successful business model.

And FYI; last year 95% of all downloads were illegal, people havent stopped using torrents in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Bear)
    lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.