Turn on thread page Beta

Beginning of the end for Spotify and streaming music? watch

ReputationRep:
    I love Spotify sob!!!
    I can't afford music! Back to online radio for me then..

ReputationRep:
    Spotify and (especially) last.fm are how I seek out new music, and if I hear something I like, I will buy it. I guess I'm a bit old fashioned in that I like to have something tangible and find playing a CD much more satisfying than an mp3. Free streaming music has made me contribute to the industry far more than I would have done otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I think this is a bad move.
    I have started buying more music since spotify, because I listen to it a lot, think OOH i like this I want it on my ipod. Before spotify I wasn't able to listen to whole albums without paying for them so wasn't as tempted to buy them.

ReputationRep:
    It's no coincidence that my CD purchases have rocketed since I started using spotify. It'll also be no coincidence when they plummet if spotify ceases to exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    Whats wrong with paying for music? I pay for music where possible, i want the artists i enjoy to be able to substain a living...
    I want the artists to make money too and that's why I subscribe to spotify. Over the year I would be paying £120 to the music industry, which is more then I would spend on CDs.

The record companies need to sort it out. CDs and Itunes are way overpriced IMO, the industry needs to be more competetive to encourage people not to illegally download.

Whats wrong with paying for music? I pay for music where possible, i want the artists i enjoy to be able to substain a living...
    I would like to buy music but having an overdraft of over a £1000 makes that impossible. Spotify is pretty much my only way of getting music at the moment (Last.fm doesn't work for some reason).

ReputationRep:
    Spotify's model needs to be adapted. I think it needs more perks for paying members, higher quality streams and no ads isn't enough. It'd make more sense to have newer music only available to paying customers, making albums available for free the week they come out makes no sense from a business point of view. Maybe just release the singles to the free people to tempt them to pay.

It's all about convincing people that paying for the music subscription is just the same as paying monthly for internet or mobile phone contracts. I don't think they've got that point across well at all.

ReputationRep:
    Listening to free music online is a great way to discover music, before I found Lastfm I hardly ever bought music and now I buy it regularly. Haven't been able to use spotify as it is banned at uni. I don't want to steal music but I know others have no such qualms- this move is counterproductive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendly_fiend2)
    I want the artists to make money too and that's why I subscribe to spotify. Over the year I would be paying £120 to the music industry, which is more then I would spend on CDs.

The record companies need to sort it out. CDs and Itunes are way overpriced IMO, the industry needs to be more competetive to encourage people not to illegally download.
    spotify pay out almost nothing to artists, someone mentioned on this thread that they're paid £6.00 for everyone half a million listens..

I buy CDs if they have artwork, booklets etc etc. I rarely buy a CD thats just a CD, unless its hovering around the fiver mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    I would like to buy music but having an overdraft of over a £1000 makes that impossible. Spotify is pretty much my only way of getting music at the moment (Last.fm doesn't work for some reason).
    I suppose you could always make you own music if you're that out of pocket :p:

ReputationRep:
    oh :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    People will just go back to downloading MP3's.

ReputationRep:
    yeah or you could just dl it and then be able to play it whenever you want, without relying on these services.
    who cares

ReputationRep:
    If they do I will stop listening, or get it through other means, I wont be paying

ReputationRep:
    spotify pay out almost nothing to artists, someone mentioned on this thread that they're paid £6.00 for everyone half a million listens..

I buy CDs if they have artwork, booklets etc etc. I rarely buy a CD thats just a CD, unless its hovering around the fiver mark.
    Hopefully the revenue going to artists will increase over time. As the number of spotify users grows, there will be a larger audience to advertise to. Though, I think they have the best chance of surviving if they can encourage more people on to subscriptions. Even if the artists got a fraction of the £120 / year subscriptions, that would still be a significant revenue. I think spotify is a step in the right direction at least.

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought if spotify lowered the price per month for the subscription more people would subscribe. I'm put off by paying £10 a month (considering when I torrent music it's free) but if it were lower or perhaps had a student rate then I would actually consider the premium.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    lol even if they start to offer music for free to download ill still torrent :mmm: spotify isnt good for inudstry in the sense it gets people used to getting free music and thus less likely to actually go out and buy music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freud)
    I've always thought if spotify lowered the price per month for the subscription more people would subscribe. I'm put off by paying £10 a month (considering when I torrent music it's free) but if it were lower or perhaps had a student rate then I would actually consider the premium.
    There's a code floating around somewhere where you can get it for £5.95 or £6.95 (can't remember which) per month as part of an offer with a car insurance company. I think it's still usable, I used it for 3 months up to Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freud)
    same here - I almost bought it the other day but just couldn't quite justify the cost.

I haven't used torrenting basically since I started using spotify. I've never been one to buy music because frankly I'm too indecisive and like a really wide range of music, i'd never be able to afford it all.

a student rate is a wicked idea - at £6 a month I would be on premium already.

ReputationRep:
    People seem to be missing this:
    "We would like to make it very clear that WMG is not pulling out of its current agreement with Spotify in Europe".
    There was also another article with a quote from Warner themselves saying this would only affect future streaming services, not existing ones.
    So no, it is nowhere near the end of Spotify. Or at least, this is not what will cause the end.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.