Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On average, in the the more renowned BB banks, what is the average ratio for the number of applicants to the number of vaccancies for a trader or an analyst? How many are filtered roughly at each stage of the recruitment process?

ReputationRep:
    1/100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puravida)
    1/100
    Yup, probably around this for Front Office.

Quality candidates per place? Probably about half that.

My guess would be that they probably filter out two thirds of candidates at every stage after initial screening.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    You must be looking for the answer to life the universe and everything.

ReputationRep:
    if its 1/100 then what's the point in even trying :eek:

because the majority of those applicants are likely to be of a good/very good standard in the first place if they're even going for FO?

maybe i'm wrong..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fiddizle)

because the majority of those applicants are likely to be of a good/very good standard in the first place if they're even going for FO?

maybe i'm wrong..
    1/99, now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fiddizle)

maybe i'm wrong..
    It's not like they look at 100 applicants then pick one, it's done in stages, think about it like this:

1000 applicants
    500 pass initial screening and numerical/verbal reasoning tests.
    150 best candidates get first round interviews.
    50 invited to ACs
    10-15 given offers.

It's not about being one of the 10-15 that stand out from a batch of 1000 applicants, but just making yourself stand out at each stage. Does this make more sense?

ReputationRep:
    Come on! 1/100 is exaggerated ... When I talk to people at my uni it seems like nobody applied and a decent part of the ones who did apply got an offer ... but maybe a lot of people applied and didn't tell me bc they didn't get an offer???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fitzmanon)
    Come on! 1/100 is exaggerated ... When I talk to people at my uni it seems like nobody applied and a decent part of the ones who did apply got an offer ... but maybe a lot of people applied and didn't tell me bc they didn't get an offer???
    Probably not too exaggerated, where I was last summer had 2000 applicants for 15 places, do the maths.

If a good candidate fires off a large number of quality applications then they should probably get something.

ReputationRep:
    Macquarie Capital was 1200 for 30 I heard. So not quite as bad as some, but still fairly competetive...

ReputationRep:
    It's not really that bad once you consider a few stats.

1. As loggins pointed out, a significant proportion of candidates are no-hopers. And by no hopers, I mean that if you're clued up enough to be asking questions on here, you're probably already ahead of them. If we say, for purposes of argument, that 40% of applicants are in this category, that puts your odds at 60/1.

2. You will most likely be applying for more than one firm, as will everybody else. If you apply for 20 firms, again for the purposes of argument at the above odds, your chances rise to 60/20, or 1 in 3.

It's not easy by any means, but it's not as bad as the 1 in 100 stat makes you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bramlow)
    It's not really that bad once you consider a few stats.

1. As loggins pointed out, a significant proportion of candidates are no-hopers. And by no hopers, I mean that if you're clued up enough to be asking questions on here, you're probably already ahead of them. If we say, for purposes of argument, that 40% of applicants are in this category, that puts your odds at 60/1.

2. You will most likely be applying for more than one firm, as will everybody else. If you apply for 20 firms, again for the purposes of argument at the above odds, your chances rise to 60/20, or 1 in 3.

It's not easy by any means, but it's not as bad as the 1 in 100 stat makes you think.
    I get what you're trying to say but 20/60 is the wrong figure, because it implies you're gonna get 1 offer for every 3 places you apply. 20/60 assumes all your apps are independent, but you're most likely to get a scenario where the chance of getting an interview at X bank is dependent on the chance of getting an interview at Y bank.

ReputationRep:
    I get what you're trying to say but 20/60 is the wrong figure, because it implies you're gonna get 1 offer for every 3 places you apply. 20/60 assumes all your apps are independent, but you're most likely to get a scenario where the chance of getting an interview at X bank is dependent on the chance of getting an interview at Y bank.
    Oh absolutely, and to be honest I don't really believe it's an odds game but rather a question of how good or bad you are. I just think it's worth pointing out to people that 1/100 ratios need not be as frightening as they seem.

ReputationRep:
    I think in reality it's more like 1/50 to 1/75, but still competitive odds. (including internships and conversions)

The odds improve when you consider most people apply to around 10 places, and can only accept one. 1/50 goes to 10/50=1/5.

Still scary odds. Of course, pale in comparison to strat consultancy.

ReputationRep:
    its more than 100. you need to consider continentals.

ReputationRep:
    How about the competition rate for the internships?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    How about the competition rate for the internships?

Similar I guess. More positions available probably, but equally more people apply for them.

Why does any of this matter?

ReputationRep:
    So what is the crtieria when sorting out applications? Do they just go straight for oxbridge and leave everyone out? What about other good unis (Edinburgh, St Andrews, Durham, Warwick, UCL and LSE)? How much work experience do they require and what are suitable degrees are there to get into IB ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Similar I guess. More positions available probably, but equally more people apply for them.

Why does any of this matter?
    Curiosity... I am considering it as a potential career.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.