Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in Lower 6th trying to figure out what the hell to do at uni.

Unfortunately I am not one of those people who knows exactly what they want to do as a job/take at uni.

I take Chemistry, Maths, Physics and History (+critical thinking) at AS and have recently taken an interesting in pursuing medicine.

My first question is: (sorry if this has been asked a million times before) how much would a lack of biology to a full A level effect my application?

I know some unis require it, whilst others say that it is only a requirement to AS whilst others just ask for sciences; if they do not explicitly state they want it to a full a level, is any weighting given to those who do have it to a full a level?

Medicine strikes me as a course you have to have a lot of drive to complete, you have to have a passion for the subject and to help people etc etc and from just showing an interest at this late stage mean that I may not have a sufficient desire to follow such a career path?

Also, how 'un-squeemish' do you have to be to do medicine? Im not saying I faint at the sight of blood but I take no joy in gore or the idea of lots of surgery - I could never be a surgeon.

Finally :rolleyes: what did those of you who applied successfully to leading med schools have as work experience or to show your interest in medicine? such as shadowing, or voluntary work.

Sorry for the bazzilion questions all in one thread, hope the essay doesnt put too many people off.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

ReputationRep:
    "how 'un-squeemish' do you have to be to do medicine?"
    I don't know but I think you have to be able to carry out procedures like a digital rectal examination if you are a doctor. Y

ReputationRep:
    That was helpful 8-)

I can see myself doing that more than opening someone up. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NovaNight)
    I take Chemistry, Maths, Physics and History (+critical thinking) at AS and have recently taken an interesting in pursuing medicine.

My first question is: (sorry if this has been asked a million times before) how much would a lack of biology to a full A level effect my application?

I know some unis require it, whilst others say that it is only a requirement to AS whilst others just ask for sciences; if they do not explicitly state they want it to a full a level, is any weighting given to those who do have it to a full a level?

Medicine strikes me as a course you have to have a lot of drive to complete, you have to have a passion for the subject and to help people etc etc and from just showing an interest at this late stage mean that I may not have a sufficient desire to follow such a career path?
    I have a friend who was in a similar situation to you, she wanted to do law but changed her mind in lower 6th and applied for medicine. Her A Level subjects were Chemistry, Physics, German and History.
    She found that although her university options were definitely restricted, not having biology didn't really limit her application. She had 3 interviews and is now at Newcastle doing medicine.
    Though I would say that she has found the first few months tougher than the other medics because she's having to keep up with people who did do biology, so a lot of it is very new to her.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floboe)
    I have a friend who was in a similar situation to you, she wanted to do law but changed her mind in lower 6th and applied for medicine. Her A Level subjects were Chemistry, Physics, German and History.
    She found that although her university options were definitely restricted, not having biology didn't really limit her application. She had 3 interviews and is now at Newcastle doing medicine.
    Though I would say that she has found the first few months tougher than the other medics because she's having to keep up with people who did do biology, so a lot of it is very new to her.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Yeah, I had little idea of what I wanted to do going into 6th form so I tried to keep my options (reasonably) open.

Thats good to know, Im considering doing AS biology next year to fulfil the unis that require it to AS as a minimum. The problem that I can see with this is that I will have no grades in it at all by the time it comes to applying since the first exams I would do wouldn't be until Jan and results till march.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=NovaNight] how much would a lack of biology to a full A level effect my application?
    Although some medical schools don't ask for it as mandatory, it is a reasonable assumption that not studying biology will be extremely detrimental to your application. Could you discuss taking up AS this year or the entire A level next year might be a good option...

Also, how 'un-squeemish' do you have to be to do medicine?
    Don't apply to a medical school that does dissection, and you will probably find quite a lot of the work wierd. After all, the human body is a wierd place...a lot to be squeemish about.

Finally :rolleyes: what did those of you who applied successfully to leading med schools have as work experience or to show your interest in medicine?
    3 weeks in a GP surgery shadowing GP and practise nurse
    3 days in a district hospital
    2 weeks at a law firm (long story...)

Lots of extra-curricular helps...like...
    Several weeks (6/7) volunteering at a disabled children's centre
    Member of recycling club for 4 years (GEEK...I know...)
    Orienteering (helping to coach disabled kids and running)
    etc...

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately I am not one of those people who knows exactly what they want to do as a job/take at uni.

Also, how 'un-squeemish' do you have to be to do medicine? Im not saying I faint at the sight of blood but I take no joy in gore or the idea of lots of surgery - I could never be a surgeon.

Finally :rolleyes: what did those of you who applied successfully to leading med schools have as work experience or to show your interest in medicine? such as shadowing, or voluntary work.

Sorry for the bazzilion questions all in one thread, hope the essay doesnt put too many people off.

Ive only done biology to AS level and I have got 0 inteviews, 0 offers and 3 rejections. For god sake, do biology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david_man)
    Ive only done biology to AS level and I have got 0 inteviews, 0 offers and 3 rejections. For god sake, do biology!
    That most certainly has to do with something else than doing biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    That most certainly has to do with something else than doing biology.

Im sure it does. My gcse's arent perfect by all means but I bet it has a massive effect to be honest.

Just do biology but dont worry too much if yu havent so far.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

Another question, when did you decide you wanted to do medicine?

Because it seems like a blinked path - doing a medical degree leads to a pretty specific field unlike say going a geography degree which could lead to a variety of job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    Right at the end of year 12, literally a month or two before applying, although I had been considering it for about 6months, I was still planning on applying for bio up til then!

ReputationRep:

If you apply to places that don't require it you've got a good chance, but it is encouraged to have Biology AS at least.

Everyone's squeamish to some degree and I think you'd get over it in time, as long as you don't have an extreme reaction to blood etc.

My work experience/voluntary work:
    One week in A and E
    One week in Opthalmology
    About two months' volunteering once a week at an old people's home (most of this was done after i sent off my application)

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

Because it seems like a blinked path - doing a medical degree leads to a pretty specific field unlike say going a geography degree which could lead to a variety of job prospects.
    I always liked science (bio/chem/phys/maths), but didn't really decide I was interested in medicine until Year 12, when I got involved with debating/public speaking and was introduced to medical ethics (which I really like!). I didn't like Biology AS at the time, but did some wider reading and realised that I was really interested in human biology.

And doing medicine leads to lots of different career pathways, it's not as specific as it appears.

Thanks for the replies.

There are so many fields you can go into with a medical degree. It's probably not what you imagine.

ReputationRep:
    to be 'onest you dont seem really interested. you need to be 'ooked to thrive in a job like this.

ave you considered alternatives?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.