Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I just received a phone call from one of the universities I've applied for and they asked me all these questions about whether I'm accepting them as my first or second choice and which other universities I have applied to. I kept replying 'I haven't heard back from all of my universities yet' but the woman continued to ask me. Are universities allowed to ask these questions if I haven't received all of my offers yet and if I haven't replied back to them? Thanks in advance for any answers and sorry if this is a silly question but I'm the first in the family to go to uni so I have to rely on you student room folk. Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, nein.

ReputationRep:
    Have they already given you an offer?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you have to tell them.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Sure they're allowed to ring you I reckon, and sure they're allowed to ask, but you don't have to tell them. You're under no obligation to disclose that information.

ReputationRep:
    They only have a right to know which courses you've applied to within the same uni.

ReputationRep:
    It certainly isn't the done thing, and I assume they are trying to manage their offer ratios. If you are interested in them just tell them you intend to accept them as your firm as things stand but don't want to divulge where else you have applied. If you aren't interested any more and don't care if you get an offer just tell them.

ReputationRep:
    No they're not allowed to ask this.

(Original post by TSR Wiki)
    NOTE: University staff are NOT allowed to ask you where else you've applied. If they do ask you then you don't have to answer and you should alert UCAS to the fact that you've been asked.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UCAS_Apply

ReputationRep:
    Last year my boyfriend got asked in a couple of interviews where he had applied at, weirrdddd. I seriously wouldn't want to be asked that question though because I would find it extremely rude and -could- possibly allow for discrimination against accepting or rejecting.

ReputationRep:
    i was asked this a couple of times in an interview a few days ago. i was so taken aback that i lied and said no. i regretted it right away as they will know later on that I did apply elsewhere so it wont look good. at the time I didnt know how well the interview was going or if i was going to get an offer, not to mention being put on the spot. very uncomfortable! i cannot see how or why it should matter to them as they should just be considering whether or not they want you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by under8ted)
    i regretted it right away as they will know later on that I did apply elsewhere so it wont look good.
    I'm afraid it already doesn't look good. They know you have applied elsewhere when they get your application. They'll learn where you applied to when you accept offers.

ReputationRep:
    i dunno about phone but ccertainly in one of my interviews i got asked..

ReputationRep:
    I received a cal like that from one of my universities which featured questions about firm/insurance, other choices and then what I thought about the uni itself.

I assume they must be allowed, seeing as some do it and have done for years, yet, then again, the wiki says not. Either way you don't have to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I'm afraid it already doesn't look good. They know you have applied elsewhere when they get your application. They'll learn where you applied to when you accept offers.

oh dear! thanks for letting me know. prehaps this explains why she asked me a couple of times, eh? giving me an opportunity to 'fess up'. Thankfully they have offered me a place regardless of my shameless lie so thats good. In my defense she had no business asking the question though...

ReputationRep:
    It's probably safe to assume that they are asking you something they don't know.
    If they don't know where you've applied and they're asking you it suggests it's in their interests to know.
    If you mistakenly told them something that wasn't quite correct would they penalise you for telling them and how would they prove that what you'd said wasn't quite correct?

ReputationRep:
    I got asked this at interview yesterday - I did answer as I didn't want to sound rude, and I didn't think it would harm them giving me an offer (I hope anyway).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers everyone.
    They have already given me an offer and it is currently my last choice but I didn't give away any information because 1) I'm still waiting to hear from one more university and 2) they shouldn't be asking me, they should wait to hear through ucas. I just didn't know whether it was allowed lol. Thanks for clearing that up for me and good luck to everyone with their applications! Where has everyone applied to?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.