Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A level choices (Music/Music Tech) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im currently in Year 11 and have to make option choices for next year for sixth form. I am thinking of studying Law in the long run at hopefully a university such as cambridge or oxford. My current choices are English, History, Spanish and Music (Music because I love it and I have Grade 8 Piano). Anyway, my school have asked whether I would like to do Music Tech as an extra a level as I am very musical and I would love to do this. They have said that I can spend 2 hours timetabled a week with a teacher one to one, and then use any free periods and free time to my discretion studying for it. Anyway, would this put me at a disadvantage to applying for a uni like Oxbridge as Music Tech is considered Academic. I wouldn't want to take a heavy 5th a level like Maths or Biology, but would love to Music Tech and think I could get an A in it. Please advise me. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I would personally advise against it, I did music tech in my college (because I already had an extra academic A level and because I love music) and while it certainly isn't academic, it can become ridiculously time consuming depending on how anal you are over your projects, which frankly you need to be in order to gain the high practical marks. For this reason I genuinely don't think it would be feasible to study it as a fifth subject especially as it would inevitably impinge on your other subjects, which is a no no if you're aiming for Oxbridge, if you were applying elsewhere I'd advise you to swap it with another of your subjects as it is a lot of fun. Not for Oxbridge though, I imagine they'd hardly acknowledge it. (though I'm not sure)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.