Turn on thread page Beta

Please help: *Online Dating Poll* Ethnography Degree watch

• View Poll Results: Would you try online dating and at what age?
    Yes, at any age.
    29.41%
    Yes, but when I'm older.
    9.80%
    Possibly, but it isn't something I've considered.
    39.22%
    No, never.
    21.57%

ReputationRep:
    As part of a project I am completing for my sociology degree, I am researching online dating and people's perception on it. It would really help me out if you could post your views on it and complete the poll.

The kind of information, if you don't mind providing it, would be the following sorts of things:

• Personal experiences and anecdotes
    • Friends/Family experiences
    • Expectations
    • Any other comments

Thank you for any help or comments!!

ReputationRep:
    Personal experiences: Been in a long term relationship since I was 15 so haven't used dating sites much. When I was 14-15 my friends and I used to get guys off dating sites to chat to and get attention from which I realise is wrong now but we never met up with them or anything.
    Friends family experiences: My uncle met his fiance on a dating site and I know other people who have found really great people on them. My Mum used one a while ago and just got chatted up by a load of creeps though.
    Expectations: Of dating sites? Umm I would expect to get chatted up by a load of ugly creepy guys so I wouldn't use one at this age, though there are some nice people on them.

Comments: I wouldn't use one at my age because I would be worried about people I know seeng my profile lol (once we found my history teachers dating profile on match.com which was hilarious!). I think they're good for people who are shy and wouldn't feel comfortable picking someone up in a club etc. I have mixed opinions really. I don't like the fact that you don't know if the person is genuine and they could turn out to be a psycho murderer. You hear some horror stories.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much! x

ReputationRep:

Personal experiences and anecdotes: None as I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend for more than 2 and a half years. Had been fairly constantly in relationships with girls for about 6 months before that as well. So I've never needed to use the internet for that sort of thing. I'd rather just go out and get to know people who aren't potentially 60 year old perverts! haha.

Friends/Family experiences: Someone i know met a woman on the internet and is now married to her with 3 kids. So, evidently, it does sometimes work.

Expectations: I wouldn't expect anything great to come of using a dating site. If that's what you mean?

Any other comments: None.

ReputationRep:

Experience: I joined a free online dating website called flirtbox about a year and a half ago for a bit of fun and harmless banter. I then met my current boyfriend through this site and have been with him a year. Although i did get chatted up by some of the stereotypical pervy older men, I ended up also chatting with someone whom i had loads in common with and am incredibly happy in my relationship with.

Personal experiences and anecdotes: Been in a close relationship online for around a year now. Webcam, audio etc pretty much everyday and going to USA in a few months to meet, so will be an LDR.
    Friends/Family experiences: My dad knows people who met online and are now married
    Expectations: Of dating sites - can expect a lot of perverts/weirdos although you do get genuine people. Of online dating generally - it really depends on the situation. Before my own situation, I thought it was odd, and it can be dangerous too - but when you really get to know somebody online, things can change and perhaps you can find something serious online now. We're in the 21st century - although there has to be a realistic chance of meeting and you have to be so careful
    Any other comments: none

ReputationRep:
    Personal experiences: I haven't ever used a dating site and wouldn't really consider using one unless as a 'last resort' type thing.
    Friends/family experiences: As far as I know, no-one in my family has ever used one. A guy from work met his fiance on a dating site though two years ago I think.
    Expectations: probably due to my 'last resort' comment earlier, I have a clear idea in my mind of who would maybe use them. I see them as an alternative for people who have got to the point where they don't know how to pick up someone, and for people who are stereotypical 'loners.' Maybe unfair and I'm sure people who use them do have social lives really!
    Comments: I think any negative views are reinforced by tv/magazines etc. For example I clearly remember a Catherine Tate sketch where this lady was dating this guy online and sending him thousands of pounds, and you often hear horror stories in magazines. The positive aspects of online dating are less 'out there' for people who don't use them to see.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help guys - much appreciated the feedback.

ReputationRep:
    *BUMP*

Your previous responses were so helpful...anyone else got anything to add?

Ta!

x

ReputationRep:
    Personal experiences and anecdotes: were ex gymnastic didn't won any medals.
    Moved to do surfboarding, and right now studying in Manchester college.
    and my personal experience, I have once met a girl by net and ended up shortly, the reason I lose my self, been so kind to her. ( or im not her type ) my personality is stinks .
    I never do drink, smoke and go night clubbing .

Friends/Family experiences: I haven't any friend or any girl friend, last relation were least longer 2 weeks . life full of family problems and I'm very happy guy

Expectations: Of dating sites? umm as I did tried, worked with me, but ended up with wrong person. Is good though for shy people
    Any other comments: I think I will not find by the internet dating, I tried and I feel it so shallow .

Peace .

Han Albendago

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.