Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone,

Please tell me which one of the books is the best? Which one did you think was the best?

Anyone got any second hand book??

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    there is a book called 'passing the UKCAT and the BMAT" which they re-release every year with new questions - it's a pretty good book to use

I think there's a book produced by the creators of the BMAT that's out as well, which is quite good as well -

The first one i said is the best - though there is a ton of stuff online, and if you just search in the forums for BMAt/UKCAT prep then i'm sure you'd find plenty of links to get you through!

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I didn't really like that "passing the UKCAT and BMAT one". The questions were far too easy in it.

In my opinion, for the UKCAT, the "600 questions" book is the best. For the BMAT, "UKCAT and BMAT uncovered" is good, if only for the BMAT sections. It's not so great for the UKCAT. Also, for BMAT, you could buy an OCR critical thinking revision guide, I found that useful, as well as the official book, and just revising GCSE science. CIE Thinking Skills past papers are also good.

ReputationRep:
    For the UKCAT, "Passing the UKCAT and BMAT" as mentioned above is pretty good. However, for the BMAT it's far too easy and gives hardly any advice or practise material. I wouldn't recommend the official "Preparing for the BMAT" book that Cambridge Assessment releases, as it's really just a practise paper with a detailed explanation of the answers. Having said that, there isn't much material available for the BMAT anyway, so it might be worth borrowing from a library for a few days. I thought the best book for the BMAT was "How to Master the BMAT" as it gives notes for each topic of the science section and has a good amount of practise material.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    To be honest, I didn't really like that "passing the UKCAT and BMAT one". The questions were far too easy in it.

In my opinion, for the UKCAT, the "600 questions" book is the best. For the BMAT, "UKCAT and BMAT uncovered" is good, if only for the BMAT sections. It's not so great for the UKCAT. Also, for BMAT, you could buy an OCR critical thinking revision guide, I found that useful, as well as the official book, and just revising GCSE science. CIE Thinking Skills past papers are also good.
    +1

I used those books, great support.

Also just do as many past papers as you can, they ARE available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)

Agree with the above.

Also the BMAT official guide is really helpful. It's a good idea to check out things like the UKMT (Maths Challenge) papers online, or the Science Olympiad ones; the level of knowledge required is higher in these, yes, but it's good practice at thinking analytically to answer the questions in Section 2.

ReputationRep:
    600 questions book is great for the UKCAT. Fairly cheap off amazon, too.

600 Qs

ReputationRep:
    Yes the best book in undeniably the UKCAT - 600 questions, by ISC Medical. It has loads of practice, but what makes it really different to the others is that it has loads of explanations about how to approach the different questions.

The book "Passing the UKCAT and BMAT" is useless in my opinion. It has very few questions, loads of errors in it and barely explains anything. The questions are also too easy.

Dunno about the BMAT cos I haven't take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremybag)
    +1

I used those books, great support.

Also just do as many past papers as you can, they ARE available.
    Hi Jeremny- Where are the past papers available because I thought that they were not published:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Try How to Pass The UKCAT by Bryon and Clayden. I found it useful as some of the questions are a bit tricky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)

I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star_struck)
    there is a book called 'passing the UKCAT and the BMAT" which they re-release every year with new questions - it's a pretty good book to use

I think there's a book produced by the creators of the BMAT that's out as well, which is quite good as well -

The first one i said is the best - though there is a ton of stuff online, and if you just search in the forums for BMAt/UKCAT prep then i'm sure you'd find plenty of links to get you through!

good luck!
    I found the 'Passing the UKCAT and the BMAT' book was awful. There are barely any questions in the book, and they are all so much easier than the actual tests.
    The best book for BMAT is the one published by the BMAT people and the best UKCAT book is something like '600 UKCAT questions'.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry too much about books etc, they're not vital imo.

EDIT- I can only speak for UKCAT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky21)
    I found the 'Passing the UKCAT and the BMAT' book was awful. There are barely any questions in the book, and they are all so much easier than the actual tests.
    The best book for BMAT is the one published by the BMAT people and the best UKCAT book is something like '600 UKCAT questions'.
    wow, how times have changed! I'm quite jealous...our year never had a 600 qs UKCAT book so i just had to make do with the 'passing the UKCAT etc. book' instead!

OP, also look online - you will find a ton of stuff. If you are struggling with one section i.e. verbal reasoning, then just google it and you will find plenty of practice tests!

good luck =D

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.