Turn on thread page Beta

Norway (One Week Holiday) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I’m a seventeen year old living in Aberdeenshire and I am very interested in travelling to Norway to meet up with my closely trusted pen-pal for one week. The trip will hopefully take place at the beginning of August and they have kindly offered accommodation for the duration of my visit.

I was hoping if anyone would be able to suggest where I could find the best student rates for travelling to Trondheim by plane (or any other method of transportation) and any essential travel necessities and advice, especially when trying to travel on a low budget. I realise I will require the following for the trip:

> Travel insurance (Single Trip) for UK Non-Dependant
    > European Health Insurance Card
    > Travel Money Card – although when I looked into this I found that they were only available in the currency of Sterling, Euros and Dollars. (Do they accept currency other than the Norwegian Kroner in Norway?)

I was also curious as to how much of the language I should try to learn independently to get by for the duration of the week and as a simple mark of respect.

Any advice given is highly appreciated – thank you!

ReputationRep:
    It's not that cheap to get to Norway, but given your accommodation will be free you'll probably have to put up with the steep costs of getting there. If I were you I would fly with SAS or Widerøe to Bergen or Stavanger and take a connecting flight to Trondheim (both will sell a through ticket). You're probably looking at something in region of £250 return for that. I wouldn't bother with a travel card. Take cash. You'll struggle spend anything that isn't NOK outside of Oslo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    It's not that cheap to get to Norway, but given your accommodation will be free you'll probably have to put up with the steep costs of getting there. If I were you I would fly with SAS or Widerøe to Bergen or Stavanger and take a connecting flight to Trondheim (both will sell a through ticket). You're probably looking at something in region of £250 return for that. I wouldn't bother with a travel card. Take cash. You'll struggle spend anything that isn't NOK outside of Oslo.

I have heard that it's pretty expensive and I was considering taking quite a lot of cash which is why I was investigating the Travel Money Card; I'm quite uncomfortable about carrying lots of cash at hand. This actually led me to contact my pen-pal about it who suggested that I just bring my debit card, but I imagine there will be a bill for every time it's used.

Thank you for the reliable advice - it's very welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baloowe)

I have heard that it's pretty expensive and I was considering taking quite a lot of cash which is why I was investigating the Travel Money Card; I'm quite uncomfortable about carrying lots of cash at hand. This actually led me to contact my pen-pal about it who suggested that I just bring my debit card, but I imagine there will be a bill for every time it's used.
    It depends who issues your debit card and what kind it is. If your provider doesn't charge big fees to use it abroad I'd take it. Electrons, Solos and Maestros are less common in Scandinavia, whereas a Visa Debit is pretty standard. Prepaid cards are generally not worth the hassle, particularly somewhere like Norway. You'll be subject to (probably) unfavourable exchange rates from the card company and will likely as not either pay a fee to load the card or a fee per transaction whilst there.

ReputationRep:
    A cheap way might be to fly to Oslo with Ryanair for about £30-£40, then a flight with Norwegian.com airlines to Trondheim, which will be about £50 (I've just checked)

ReputationRep:
    It depends who issues your debit card and what kind it is. If your provider doesn't charge big fees to use it abroad I'd take it. Electrons, Solos and Maestros are less common in Scandinavia, whereas a Visa Debit is pretty standard. Prepaid cards are generally not worth the hassle, particularly somewhere like Norway. You'll be subject to (probably) unfavourable exchange rates from the card company and will likely as not either pay a fee to load the card or a fee per transaction whilst there.
    Well it's a solo so I guess I'll have to change the type of card I'm using - I was looking into opening a new account anyway. Atleast this will probably grant an opportunity to find a good debit card which will cater for use abroad (if such a card exists).

Thanks again for this information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    A cheap way might be to fly to Oslo with Ryanair for about £30-£40, then a flight with Norwegian.com airlines to Trondheim, which will be about £50 (I've just checked)
    Not really. Once you take into account that the OP has to come back as well that doubles the price. Add to that the price of taking hold luggage (no, they don't have to but if they're going for a week it might be nice). Add to that the cost of getting to Edinburgh airport or Glasgow Prestwick from Aberdeenshire (return). On top of that Ryanair only fly to Sandefjord from Scotland - the OP would have to then make their way to Gardemoen or Rygge (a long and relatively expensive journey, return). Add to that the fact that buying tickets with two budget airlines with a connection between two airports means there's all sorts of potential for missing flights. That's why flying with SAS or Widerøe from Aberdeen to Trondheim (through Bergen/Stavanger on a through ticket) is the better option. It's a lot quicker and doesn't really cost any more.

ReputationRep:
    Shame that Norwegian doesn't fly out of Aberdeen!! I actually thought they would have.. SAS/Wideroe will probably be the best option then, as has been said before..

When it comes to money, your best option is a debit/credit card. Most people in Norway have VISA, but Solo/Maestro etc will also work perfectly fine. Travel Money Card? No go.. Just don't do it, it's not worth it..

Language? Not really any point.. All you need is "takk" (thank you), and that just to be polite. Most people speak English VERY well, especially in the city, and in partcular young people.. So you should be fine!!

Hope you enjoy it! Trondheim is supposedly one of our most beautiful cities, I have never been, but would really like to go pretty soon!!

ReputationRep:
    Go to Edinburgh and fly with Norwegian to Oslo; you can get flights for something like £30 one way. Then you can catch a flight with SAS to Trondheim. That's normally what I do when heading to Trondheim from Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    Go to Edinburgh and fly with Norwegian to Oslo; you can get flights for something like £30 one way. Then you can catch a flight with SAS to Trondheim. That's normally what I do when heading to Trondheim from Scotland.
    I hate to drone, but even that's not worth it. Already, if you look at buying a through ticket from Edinburgh to Trondheim with Norwegian for August, the cheapest return you can get is £200. It doesn't improve if you split the ticket with Norwegian and it doesn't improve if you change to a SAS flight in Oslo. It'll take the OP ages to get to Edinburgh airport from Aberdeenshire and cost a fair bit too. Much as I like Norwegian for some things, they charge card fees and luggage fees (something which Sas/Widerøe doesn't). All this adds up, and these really seems to be very little point in the OP spending significantly longer travelling for no financial gain. Aberdeen airport has more flights to Norway daily than any other airport in the UK, the OP might as well make use of them! Budget airlines are not always the answer.

ReputationRep:
    I hate to drone, but even that's not worth it. Already, if you look at buying a through ticket from Edinburgh to Trondheim with Norwegian for August, the cheapest return you can get is £200. It doesn't improve if you split the ticket with Norwegian and it doesn't improve if you change to a SAS flight in Oslo. It'll take the OP ages to get to Edinburgh airport from Aberdeenshire and cost a fair bit too. Much as I like Norwegian for some things, they charge card fees and luggage fees (something which Sas/Widerøe doesn't). All this adds up, and these really seems to be very little point in the OP spending significantly longer travelling for no financial gain. Aberdeen airport has more flights to Norway daily than any other airport in the UK, the OP might as well make use of them! Budget airlines are not always the answer.
    Fair enough. :p: I had no idea Aberdeen had so many flights to Norway. I've always just gone from Edinburgh with Norwegian, and since it's not been during the summer, it's always been pretty cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvilSheep)
    Shame that Norwegian doesn't fly out of Aberdeen!! I actually thought they would have.. SAS/Wideroe will probably be the best option then, as has been said before..

When it comes to money, your best option is a debit/credit card. Most people in Norway have VISA, but Solo/Maestro etc will also work perfectly fine. Travel Money Card? No go.. Just don't do it, it's not worth it..

Language? Not really any point.. All you need is "takk" (thank you), and that just to be polite. Most people speak English VERY well, especially in the city, and in partcular young people.. So you should be fine!!

Hope you enjoy it! Trondheim is supposedly one of our most beautiful cities, I have never been, but would really like to go pretty soon!!
    Haha - so thankfully the Travel Money Card has definetly been ruled out. I'll try and get in contact with my bank if not another firm to try and arrange some sort of change to the type of card I'm currently using.

From what you're saying I'm beginning to feel a bit more comfortable language wise. I'll certainly try and learn basic greetings, but thankfully not as much as I thought I'd need to know.

Thank you very much for the information - I'm really looking forward to visiting Norway!

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome!! Hope you have a brilliant time!

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.