Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have my driving test on the 5th March :eek3: and was trying to look up the minor and major faults that can happen. Whillst looking on this one website it said that you must secure the car using the hanbrake when stationary. Failure to do so will reult in a minor! However, i'm not sure how reliable this website is.

At the moment i just use the foot brake at all times never using the handbrake. Do you think that i should start using it and has anybody had a minor in their driving test for not using the handbrake?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever they ask you to pull over on the side of the road use the handbrake.
    It tends to be recommended that you put the handbrake on if you have been stationary in traffic for tend seconds or so...but aslong as you dont roll backwards and stay in control i can't imagine it is a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Another one about stoping.

The test routes at my local test centre often have stop signs and lines at quiet junctions. Would i need to apply the handbrake here, or can I justuse the foot brake?

ReputationRep:
    You need to apply the handbrake at stop signs. I am very surprised your instructor lets you use the footbrake all the time, most encourage you to use the handbrake every time you stop for more than about a two seconds.

ReputationRep:
    hi
    I asked my instutor the exact same question (about the handbrake) today as my tests in march 8th!!! he said that it is best to put the handbrake on whenever a 'pause becomes a wait' such as traffic lights (at the moment i tend to do the same as you and just use the footbrake)
    Hope this helps! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can get a minor if you are stationary for a while without using the handbrake, so basically only put it on if you pull over, and if you are at traffic lights that have just turned red or something. Or if you are in a long traffic que that isnt moving at all.

Don't use it at a junction or stop sign because you will be needing to pull off as soon as there is a space and it will take too long if you are using the handbrake and then they can give you a minor for hesitation :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thevelvetonion)
    Yeah you can get a minor if you are stationary for a while without using the handbrake, so basically only put it on if you pull over, and if you are at traffic lights that have just turned red or something. Or if you are in a long traffic que that isnt moving at all.

Don't use it at a junction or stop sign because you will be needing to pull off as soon as there is a space and it will take too long if you are using the handbrake and then they can give you a minor for hesitation :]
    Not sure wether this advice is right. I was always taught to put the handbrake on at junctions and stop signs as it allows you to get back to biting point safely, stops you from rolling back into cars behind and demonstrates to the examiner that you are definitely stopping and taking the time to check that the road is clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thevelvetonion)
    This is wrong - I was always told by my instructor to apply the handbrake at a stop sign because you need to make sure the examiner knows that you have actually stopped the car, not just paused for a second while you look e.g. at a left turn at a junction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swilson)
    Hi,

I have my driving test on the 5th March :eek3: and was trying to look up the minor and major faults that can happen. Whillst looking on this one website it said that you must secure the car using the hanbrake when stationary. Failure to do so will reult in a minor! However, i'm not sure how reliable this website is.

At the moment i just use the foot brake at all times never using the handbrake. Do you think that i should start using it and has anybody had a minor in their driving test for not using the handbrake?

Cheers.
    i would apply the handbrake every time you stop because you cant get falts for using it too much. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Really? I never got taught that but I suppose it would make it clearer at a stop sign that you have actually stopped. At normal junctions though my instructor never told me to use the hand brake unless it was really busy so you knew you would be there a while. He told me that you should usually just stop, then as you look in each direction put it into gear, then after you check again pull off as you shouldn't stay there too long if it isn't busy with lots of traffic.

ReputationRep:
    as stated above - when a pause becomes a wait. a stop sign SHOULD be a wait..

ReputationRep:
    When you're in a driving test and you're not moving use the hand break!!!
    It's not worth using foot break/clutch control alone, just in case.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Always use the handbrake if stopping for any period of time in traffic etc. It should give you a minor if you don't, but more importantly if someone shunts you from behind, your foot flies of the brake and you jolt forward, that's the front of the car written off as well as the back.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, i'll bare all these in mind (especially regarding the stops signs!!!!)

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    argghhhh i've got mine in a couple of weeks!!! This information is quite useful.
    Good luck with yours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swilson)
    Thanks everyone, i'll bare all these in mind (especially regarding the stops signs!!!!)

Thanks!!!

A tip: when using the handbrake, keep your hand on it until you release it, so you're much less likely to forget that it's up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bun_18)
    hi
    I asked my instutor the exact same question (about the handbrake) today as my tests in march 8th!!! he said that it is best to put the handbrake on whenever a 'pause becomes a wait' such as traffic lights (at the moment i tend to do the same as you and just use the footbrake)
    Hope this helps! good luck!
    Thanks for this!

Good luck with yours as well.

ReputationRep:
    They are right, ALWAYS at stop signs even if clear, just to show the examiner that you saw the stop sign and at traffic lights when they are red - always. Also at junctions where a pause becomes a long wait.

Pedestrian crossings too - always
    good luck

sorry if I repeated some things i didn't read the other responses - I did my test last week!

ReputationRep:
    My instructor says in general if there is more than one car you ought to apply the handbrake. During manouvers etc, if it is one car passing don't bother, only if it becomes a stream of traffic, more than a couple of seconds (she says ten is too many, but its not an excessively busy area so you don't need to hurry out really).

ReputationRep:
    My instructor always encouraged me to use the handbrake, especially when at traffic lights, pedestrian crossings and the like. The theory behind which was that it further secures the car if someone was to drive into the rear of it, more so than just using the footbrake. In addition to this, I was always told that sitting on the footbrake could potentially dazzle drivers behind you, especially if you're going to be parked up for quite some time or if you're driving in the dark.

So I would personally just try to use it as regularly as I felt was necessary; because you can't really go wrong with it then. Good luck with your driving test though, whatever you decide is best OP.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.