Turn on thread page Beta

Been to South East Asia? watch

ReputationRep:
    Me and four or five friends are planning on going to South East Asia for six weeks (hopefully 6, but 4 weeks if we can't afford it) and I was just wondering how much money you think I would need.
    I reckon we'll spend about a month in Thailand in total, maybe a bit less and the rest in Cambodia and Laos. Vietnam is also a possibility but I'm not entirely sure if we can afford it all.
    I reckon we will be doing a fair bit of activities and drinking and then there's the trains to Laos and Cambodia and back to consider.
    Anybody be able to offer me any advice?
    Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Food should be very cheap (providing where you go), I'm not sure about the activities you want to do though . Have you had a look on websites? I know about the costs of other South East Asian countries, just not these two

ReputationRep:
    Thailand is cheap, but if I were you I'd spend more time in Laos and Cambodia than Thailand - you need like, 3 days in Bangkok and then a couple of days on an island. It's too touristy but those things have got to be done. Booze will be cheaper in cambodia and laos, definitely in nam if you got there. there aren't trains in cambodia, but buses are pretty good. you can either get a/c tourist buses which are averagely priced or you can find local buses for dirt cheap which are a LOT more fun!! accomodation is pretty damn cheap - in thailand aabout $2 a night for a grotty little room with shared bathroom, the more you pay the more comfort you get.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need more than 4 to 6 weeks to do Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. Theres no way you'll get Vietnam in too. You'd just spend your entire time on busses which wouldn't be comfortable or fun!!

I'd say go for Thailand (def not my fave place in SE Asia but it depends what you want) and then one of Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam. Spend less time in Thailand as its not worth it, if you want amazing islands go into Malaysia as they're way better than the Thai ones. Chiang Mai/the north of Thailand is good though. Remember you also need to travel around the country, its not just "trains to Cambodia and back to consider" - its a big place!!! In Thailand, for example, you're looking at about £10 one way for a 2nd class sleeper train bunk to Chiang Mai from Bangkok, it takes about 15 hours Your other option is the bus which is cheaper but I wouldn't wish that on anyone for such a long journey, trains are worth the extra couple of pounds as then you can properly sleep so save money anyway.

I spent about £10-12 a day on average in SE Asia, then probs about £10 every time I move around on travel etc. Thailand will eat the most into your budget especially if you're planning on going to the islands - as I said, its really not worth it and other countries have cheaper and better ones. Indonesia is loads cheaper than £10 a day but Thailand is a bit more than this, so this is what it averages out as in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Stay out of Pattaya.

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    go to Tibet as well...especially Lhasa...tis beautiful

http://www.tibetlhasatravel.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seung12)
    go to Tibet as well...especially Lhasa...tis beautiful

http://www.tibetlhasatravel.com/
    Bad advice. It's yonks away from Thailand for a start. 3 countries is enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iapetus)
    Bad advice. It's yonks away from Thailand for a start. 3 countries is enough.
    :o: ...

ReputationRep:
    As a resident in Malaysia for the past 14 years, I'd say Cambodia and Laos will be the cheapest too, especially for booze, but Thailand will have more in terms of touristy clubs, bars etc. If your strapped for cash, definetly avoid Singapore and Malaysia, they're expensive in comparison (Malaysia has the second highest tariff in the world on alcohol ).

A word of advice, watch out for ladyboys! XD

ReputationRep:
    hey! Perhaps you can consider travelling to Singapore.Even though the apparel and others may be expensive as compared to Viet & Thai,they are still much cheaper compared to that of the UK

There have been lots of sales in town recently! The sales are from shops like Forever21,Mango etc etc etc.If you are a shopperhoalic,Singapore is definitely the place for you.

ps: Hi Medic! I love medicine.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    1. In BAngkok, don't be wary of buying food of streeet vendors, it's gorgeous.
    2. Get the train to Chaing Mai, it is cheap, the sleeper trains are actually quite exciting if you're sad like me, and you can do stuff like bamboo rafting and elephant trekking.
    3. I recommend Tuptim's if you stay in Bangkok
    4. Tuk tuk drivers in Bangkok will halve their prices if you stop off at certain shops (they get some kind of fuel voucher for boosting the economy). Only go for this if you are happy to wander around a shop for 15 minutes pretending to be interested in having some trousers tailored/ buying mementoes that are more expensive than anywhere else.
    There's probably more that I could think of but it's too early for serious travel advice

ReputationRep:
    Be wary of corruption. SE Asians are deceptively 'friendly'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nativeLondoner)
    ...:mad:
    You are stereotyping e SE Asians.. & what you mentioned is totally untrue.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. If you have time to drop in on Vietnam, I hope you'll be able to enjoy it to your heart's content. Take a look at this site to find the most worthy destination for you in our country: http://www.vietnamtourism.com/e_page...ist/travel.asp
    Good luck with your trip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nativeLondoner)
    what?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your help guys. I'll look more into Vietnam, it looks interesting. I've heard there's only a couple of places of interest in Laos and I don't know much about Cambodia at all so I'll have to do a lot of research before we figure out where ar're gonna go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystalline)
    ...:mad:
    You are stereotyping e SE Asians.. & what you mentioned is totally untrue.
    It's certainly true of Malaysians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THEALB10N)
    It's certainly true of Malaysians.
    Really? BEcause when I was out in East Asia last summer I found that on the whole most people were lovely, and a couple of people did try and scam up but they were in the (tiny) minority. Admittedly I didn't go to Malaysia but I can't imagine it's so different from Thailand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cchilstonev1)
    Thanks a lot for your help guys. I'll look more into Vietnam, it looks interesting. I've heard there's only a couple of places of interest in Laos and I don't know much about Cambodia at all so I'll have to do a lot of research before we figure out where ar're gonna go.
    http://www.travelfish.org/ should give you some useful information

Im also going to SE Asia in a couple of months, and Laos has really caught my eye, will definitely be going there!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.