Turn on thread page Beta

Seeing a doctor about depression watch

I have been suffering from serious depression for about 3 months. This has happened every year for the last 3 years and it is getting worse each time. They seem to be kicked off by some bad news or event. I'm sure that if it weren't for making my parents sad then I would commit suicide as soon as I could. I've always wanted to see a doctor about this but lacked the courage but it is so bad now that I think I must. Will the doctor give me something to make me feel better or will I be needlessly embarrassing myself? Also if I tell the doctors about suicidal thoughts will they section me?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You won't be embarrassing yourself, they see a lot of people with mental health problems.
    They might suggest medication and/or counselling. A GP doesn't have the power to section you, but can get you seen by a duty psychiatrist/crisis team if they think you are at serious risk of hurting yourself.

Go and see a doc i would say i just wish i had the courage to do the same

ReputationRep:
    You definitely need to see a doctor. Do not worry about embarrassing yourself, your doctor will act sympathetically and take what you say seriously. Do not worry about them sectioning you, they will refer you to a counsellor so that you can try and understand your feelings. It is really important that you do this; everyone needs a little help from time to time. I hope you feel happier soon

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, you won't be judged or anything. Your doctor may give you anti depressants, often they start with asking you some things and giving you a questionnaire to fill out. You may also be given the option of counselling. I can tell you from experience that you definitely will not be sectioned for telling a GP that you feel suicidal. Good luck

I'd prefer drugs as I find it very difficult to be open with anybody.

So would I OP, prefer drugs but I don't know if the GP will take me seriously. If I go what do I even say?

ReputationRep:
    Drugs don't solve the problem though, they just help you get on with stuff and can help with your mood. They may be enough for you on their own, it depends really.

Anon 3- The GP should take you seriously. You just need to explain that you have been feeling low along with anything else you feel is relevant and that you think you may have depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been suffering from serious depression for about 3 months. This has happened every year for the last 3 years and it is getting worse each time. They seem to be kicked off by some bad news or event. I'm sure that if it weren't for making my parents sad then I would commit suicide as soon as I could. I've always wanted to see a doctor about this but lacked the courage but it is so bad now that I think I must. Will the doctor give me something to make me feel better or will I be needlessly embarrassing myself? Also if I tell the doctors about suicidal thoughts will they section me?
    Hi,

Have you suffered from depression at the same time each year, i.e. during these winter months? It's possible you suffer from S.A.D. ( http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/seasona...roduction.aspx ). It could be that you're more likely to react strongly to bad news in the winter because of this. Sometimes people with S.A.D. need to take antidepressants and/or get some counselling in the winter, so you should certainly see your GP. If you're suffering from depression more generally the same applies - please go and see your doctor, who can refer you to a counsellor and suggest medication if they think this is advisable. They won't section you, but they will do everything they can to help you. I hope things get better for you :hugs:

I have the same thoughts.
    I break down the odd time in front of people from being sick of keeping it all together but only if they bring things up that hae played a part in making me depressed but i don't talk about it or really want to talk about it either.
    I've told my parents i've felt like this about 6 or 7 times over the passed 4 years or so and nothing ever gets done about it. I'm only 16, i know i can go to a doctor myself but i don't really know what to say and my parents and i don't have a great relationship anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I've been contemplating whether to see the doctor too . As I've registered with a new doctor since moving away from home, its made my decission a lot harder as I don't know what to expect. No harm in trying though, you never know, it could be the best decission you ever make. Good luck, I'd recommend it ( now I need to encourage myself ....lol)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.