would you date a person that was very less intelligent than you watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    You need someone clever like a lawyer :mmm:
    ... but I like musicians whether they are clever or not :flutter:

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or your arrogance is such an oxymoron in contrast with your "intelligence"?

ReputationRep:
    If she had massive boobies then yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    ... but I like musicians whether they are clever or not :flutter:

:rofl:
    Musicians are :coma:

Girls + violin :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person, but probably no. They need some level of intelligence, but that doesn't mean I need an Einstein!

ReputationRep:
    If they can't spell basic words it puts me off a lot.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, those that put such importance on intelligence tend to have nothing to offer anyone else but their intelligence. So to make themselves feel better, they develop a rather impressive superiority complex and if someone doesn't quite measure up academically then well, they're just not worth dealing with.

Funny, really.

And for those that say that they wouldn't date someone less intelligent than them because they wouldn't be able to hold a conversation together, well that's rubbish really, isn't it? If anything, it's an indication that you lack the social skills to relate to someone that isn't exactly the same as you. What's more important is that you share similar interests, not that you have the same IQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    Yes, why would it matter if she wants to be a beauty therapist? and how is that a reflection of her intelligence?

If I were her, I wouldn't go out with you though.
    Stupid people tend to go for stupid jobs. What is she doing with any sort of intelligence if she wants to become a beauty therapist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    exactly. And you got post 69 :mmm:
    Hmm but you only have 17 posts?? :eek: at your signature!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Stupid people tend to go for stupid jobs. What is she doing with any sort of intelligence if she wants to become a beauty therapist?
    No, people go for the jobs that best suit their abilities. If she wants to become a beauty therapist then so be it, it doesn't mean she's stupid. It just means she knows a lot about beauty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Thread title fail.
    lol!

I probably wouldn't, not directly because of a lack of intelligence but because I'd like to have an in depth conversation with them on a topic other than nail varnish or fake tan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    No, people go for the jobs that best suit their abilities. If she wants to become a beauty therapist then so be it, it doesn't mean she's stupid. It just means she knows a lot about beauty.
    Think about it, is she really doing something intelligent? It's not smart to waste your intellect on what is likely a dead-end profession and a monkey's job.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who witters on about intelligence as if it's the only human quality of value has precisely *nothing* to offer in the relationship stakes.

Sometimes relationships work just because of a good social connection and physical attraction. You don't have to select partners based on matching IQ scores, and if you tried you'd be missing out on a huge pool of potentially good relationships.

Saying that, I probably wouldn't date a guy who'd never heard of Dostoevsky.

ReputationRep:
    No. I feel that anyone with a low degree of intelligence can't hold conversation on important things. For example, when we (my friends) were discussing how further earthquakes around Haiti could cause a tsunami that would hit Western Europe, a few of them had to ask whether the UK was in Western Europe. Come on!

Intelligence matters. To me, at least.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how hot she is and what her personality is like tbh. If she's nice, and hot too.. why not?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would

As long as we can have conversations, get on welll and they can do simple math and string sentences together I see no problem haha

No it is one of if not the most important thing i look for. Ive only ever shagged 3 women, 2 Oxford 1 Cambridge :p:

(I don't have an Oxbridge only policy though!)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because intelligence isn't everything. Just because you can't have a conversation with someone about 'intelligent' things doesn't mean they're not a lovely person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomby1)
    Yes, because intelligence isn't everything. Just because you can't have a conversation with someone about 'intelligent' things doesn't mean they're not a lovely person.
    And as I said above, if you're completely unable to converse with someone that you deem to be less intelligent than yourself, the problem is with your lack of social skills than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igor00)
    And as I said above, if you're completely unable to converse with someone that you deem to be less intelligent than yourself, the problem is with your lack of social skills than anything else.
    Don't think being unable to converse is the problem. The problem is having the patience to keep the converstion going and actually being able to enjoy the conversation.

Each to their own though, its up to you OP, just go for it and you'll soon find out if you enjoy it or not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.