Turn on thread page Beta

Muscle Building Advice. watch

ReputationRep:
    To start off, I'd just like to point out that I know very little about muscle building, at least in comparison to the vast majority of you who seem to be fairly all-knowing when it comes to nutrition, workouts etc..

I hope this doesn't go on too long, but just a bit of context:

I used to be fat. Not obese but I had a bit of podge. And last summer I decided I'd had enough, and, perhaps not too wisely, started to eat very little, and I kept eating this amount until I went back to school in September, but I began to eat more and more, school tiring me out etc, and by about December had lost a little over 2 stone.

In October, however, I decided I wasn't really satisfied with the weight loss, and decided to gain some muscle, so started a circuit that I'd do about four or five times a week, which has since deteriorated.

Now I'm hoping to re-initiate the work outs, starting as soon as half term ends, but was intending to approach it with a vaguely rigid plan, preferably including nutrition as well.

Getting to the point, I was hoping for some advice in terms of what I should eat, in what amounts, and what sort of exercises I should do, and how regularly. Also, as a result of the working out last year I can feel a significant amount of muscle on my abs, yet it's not really visible, since there's a bit of fat covering it, I was hoping for a method of getting rid of this without altering my diet (running or something?).

I have available protein shakes and weights (not huge weights, enough to prove difficult after a few reps). I also wish to point out that I'm not really interested in lower body, just abs, arms and chest (arms and abs priority, I've done a lot of chest work). My legs are pretty strong thanks to a lot of walking, hockey and rugby.

Apologies for this running on a lot, to summarise in case you can't be bothered to read it all:

1. What sort of diet?
    2. Work out routine? How often?
    3. Get rid of fat around stomach?

Thanks a load if you actually read it all, and even more thanks if you provide some helpful advice. Rep of course to anyone who really helps.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and in case it's relevant, I'd just to like to add that I no longer eat any chocolate, sweets, crisps, fizzy drinks, and generally try to steer clear of artificial sugar. I also try to keep alcohol to a low, and will only drink a fair amount roughly once a fortnight. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    haha just working arms and abs
    YOU WONT GET ANY BIGGER IF YOU JUST WORK THESE MUSCLES
    and i suppose if you work your biceps every day for 10 years they will get huge but it will be out of proportion and you will definitely hurt yourself either now or later in life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dooodle1)
    I also wish to point out that I'm not really interested in lower body, just abs, arms and chest (arms and abs priority, I've done a lot of chest work). My legs are pretty strong thanks to a lot of walking, hockey and rugby.
    This, oddly, never gets old. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busbybabe)
    haha just working arms and abs
    YOU WONT GET ANY BIGGER IF YOU JUST WORK THESE MUSCLES
    and i suppose if you work your biceps every day for 10 years they will get huge but it will be out of proportion and you will definitely hurt yourself either now or later in life

ReputationRep:
    Well, the reason I'm only focusing on abs and arms ( and chest), as Smed has highlighted, is because my legs are already strong enough.. Perhaps it wasn't phrased in the best of ways, but I'm serious.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the reason I'm only focusing on abs and arms ( and chest), as Smed has highlighted, is because my legs are already strong enough.. Perhaps it wasn't phrased in the best of ways, but I'm serious.

He didn't highlight that at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yokel)
    He didn't highlight that at all.
    No he didn't, I just didn't want to re-point out he was openly mocking my thread = /..

Is anyone going to actually help or..?

ReputationRep:
    Ask Hot-Wheels in post 5 what stacks he's using.

ReputationRep:
    Healthy Eating Basics for Weight Loss and/or Weight Gain

Diet and Nutrition For The Beginner

Recommended Training Programs

The wonderful thing that is the sticky.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, would it kill to give me a serious response? I never said anything about becoming ridiculously ripped, like 'Hot Wheels'.. I just want to put on some muscle..

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, would it kill to give me a serious response? I never said anything about becoming ridiculously ripped, like 'Hot Wheels'.. I just want to put on some muscle..
    Someone just posted links for training programs, diet and nutrition etc

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hadn't seen it when I posted that. Thanks to the guy that did, I probably should have looked there first.

Any answers to the fat thing though??

ReputationRep:
    You can't spot reduce.

To lose fat from stomach, you have to exercise through cardio and weight lifting to work the whole body as well as having a good diet.

ReputationRep:
    To start off, I'd just like to point out that I know very little about muscle building, at least in comparison to the vast majority of you who seem to be fairly all-knowing when it comes to nutrition, workouts etc..

I used to be fat. Not obese but I had a bit of podge. And last summer I decided I'd had enough, and, perhaps not too wisely, started to eat very little, and I kept eating this amount until I went back to school in September, but I began to eat more and more, school tiring me out etc, and by about December had lost a little over 2 stone.

In October, however, I decided I wasn't really satisfied with the weight loss, and decided to gain some muscle, so started a circuit that I'd do about four or five times a week, which has since deteriorated.

Now I'm hoping to re-initiate the work outs, starting as soon as half term ends, but was intending to approach it with a vaguely rigid plan, preferably including nutrition as well.

Getting to the point, I was hoping for some advice in terms of what I should eat, in what amounts, and what sort of exercises I should do, and how regularly. Also, as a result of the working out last year I can feel a significant amount of muscle on my abs, yet it's not really visible, since there's a bit of fat covering it, I was hoping for a method of getting rid of this without altering my diet (running or something?).

I have available protein shakes and weights (not huge weights, enough to prove difficult after a few reps). I also wish to point out that I'm not really interested in lower body, just abs, arms and chest (arms and abs priority, I've done a lot of chest work). My legs are pretty strong thanks to a lot of walking, hockey and rugby.

Apologies for this running on a lot, to summarise in case you can't be bothered to read it all:

1. What sort of diet?

Thanks a load if you actually read it all, and even more thanks if you provide some helpful advice. Rep of course to anyone who really helps.
    First of all quit being an dumbass. Your legs Are. Not. Strong. Thy never have been strong and walking has not helped them get "strong". Secondly I got a really good diet guide and workout regime if you want it, PMs only though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    First of all quit being an dumbass. Your legs Are. Not. Strong. Thy never have been strong and walking has not helped them get "strong". Secondly I got a really good diet guide and workout regime if you want it, PMs only though.
    Bish, what is going on with this PMing noobs your "diet guide" recently? Is this some sort of euphamism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Hey I'll take those guides please. Only been seriously working out rhomboids, lats, anterior/posterior deltoids, chest, triceps and biceps. Want to find more effective ways of working out my lesser used muscles too. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Starting Strength. Gogo!

ReputationRep:

1. What sort of diet?

no they're not, hockey and rugby won't make your legs stronger, you need to squat for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Bish, what is going on with this PMing noobs your "diet guide" recently? Is this some sort of euphamism?
    The advice some people are giving here is just dire

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.