Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Becoming pregnant whilts on period questions. Watch

• PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by catoutofthebag)
    I don't know the answer to either question, but it's unlikely you will feel the symptoms of pregnancy the morning after, you are probably just paranoid. I often get paranoid and feel like I'm having symptoms of pregnancy but really I'm not.

Anyway, you are still within the time limit to get the morning after pill, so if you are really that worried go and take one. The sooner you take one the more effective it will be as long as you take it within 72 hours of the sex. You can get it free from a sexual health clinic and also get some advice on whether it's possible you could be pregnant, or from a pharmacy for about £25.
    you can get it from a pharmacy for free so long as there is a pharmacist in. I think.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I have presumed that if you're still on your period, the wall of your womb will still be shedding and so there will be no place for a fertilised egg (if a sperm did wriggle free) to implant into the lining. It takes a few days after your period for the lining to thicken up again so that a fertilised egg can implant and start to divide.

So don't worry. Go and get tested for your peace of mind though.
    Another thing is that did you know you can get a coil fitted up to 5 days after unprotected sex and it will act in the same way as the morning after pill would. Pop along to a sexual health clinic and they'll help you out
    there is a 24-48 hr window in which an egg can be fertilised, however sperm can live up to 7days within the body - this is how the rhythm method works. However, ovulation is often very inconsistent, and although the AVERAGE is 14days in truth it varies widely in the same women and between women.

coil is more effective than morning after pill, and it can be inserted up to 5days after sex to have 95% success rate and I think up to 5days before you next ovulate or somethign, not sure.

I'm way to researched on these kinda things. esp for a single virgin.. haha
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Lol you think you have pregnancy symptoms what 12-24 hours after having sex? :rolleyes: it can take days for the egg to be fertilized and implant in the womb. Of course your period will continue or youd have a load of dead uterine lining left in you causing scepticemia (sp?), you should wait at least 2 weeks as normal ovulation is 14 days into a 28 day cycle (can vary hugely) and an accurate test cant be taken until your next missed period (which should be 14 days after ovulation). Lets everyone hope youre not
    there is 24-48 hr window for fertilization, (usually in the oviduct/fallopian tube) the zygote then travels toward the uterus, and I think embeds around day 8. sometime after this or around this HCG starts to be produced, this is what prevents the uterine lining from breaking down and is tested for by pregnancy test.

OP, if your woried get secondary/emergency contraception. The ideal of the IUD is that your cycles continue as normal and my GP told me it was the most effective contraception. You can continue to use condoms at the same time for extra peace of mind.

you won't have ANY symtoms yet as your body probs wouldn't even be aware of fertilisation yet (in fact fertilisation can't even have happened yet)
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by fn137)
    =) girl chill!
    go for the test
    I don't think you could possibly be pregnant but you never know...I think all what you are feeling is entirely because your are having your periods on the first place.
    she can't take a test yet, she needs to relax or stress levels could delay her next period, chances are her next period will come as normal!

ReputationRep:
    silly, ignorant bint. learn about your body

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure you're just feeling period symptoms, and not pregnancy symptoms. Don't stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    there is 24-48 hr window for fertilization, (usually in the oviduct/fallopian tube) the zygote then travels toward the uterus, and I think embeds around day 8. sometime after this or around this HCG starts to be produced, this is what prevents the uterine lining from breaking down and is tested for by pregnancy test.

OP, if your woried get secondary/emergency contraception. The ideal of the IUD is that your cycles continue as normal and my GP told me it was the most effective contraception. You can continue to use condoms at the same time for extra peace of mind.

you won't have ANY symtoms yet as your body probs wouldn't even be aware of fertilisation yet (in fact fertilisation can't even have happened yet)
    I know thats why i said she will continue having a period and it takes days to actually become pregnant so having 'symptoms' the next morning is impossible. what were you trying to say? maybe ive missed it but i cant see where youre doing anything more than elaborating and also youve not looked later in the thread where shes explained further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    you can get it from a pharmacy for free so long as there is a pharmacist in. I think.
    Yeah, it's if they have a pharmacist who is qualified to give it for free or something. But I was unlucky when I went and had to pay So I just put it that way for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    Umm do you react like this every time you have protected sex? If not, why are you specifically worried about this occasion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Umm do you react like this every time you have protected sex? If not, why are you specifically worried about this occasion?
    If youd read a few posts down she does so she is.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    I know thats why i said she will continue having a period and it takes days to actually become pregnant so having 'symptoms' the next morning is impossible. what were you trying to say? maybe ive missed it but i cant see where youre doing anything more than elaborating and also youve not looked later in the thread where shes explained further.
    I like to elaborate sometime, sorry. It wasn't really aimed at you (I've just started studying embryology too. ha. I'm awful!) Yeah, I saw the later and was like, oh my bad! I think its cos you can't actually get pregnant on your period

you get pregnant when you ovulate, you can get pregnant from sex you have on your period though. I think that was the point.

I'm a pedant. Ha, good quality for a doctor though right?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.