Turn on thread page Beta

cant afford to move out, but REALLY want to! watch

ReputationRep:
    going to uni in glasgow (most likely) and really cannot be bothered missing out and travelling an hour everyday just to get to uni.

the thing is, i cant get a student loan, as my parents earn too much, but they say they cant help me pay for accomodation???

(have IBS, so would kind of need ensuite, which is like £4500, plus have food intolerances, so food would be more expensive for me)

anyway, i havent saved anything up, i thought my parents kept money by for me or would pay for it another way (didnt think much about it before now), but they didnt (im the youngest )

i realllyyyy want to move out, i hate the atmosphere in my house, i hate my sister (and by hate, i really do mean that) and im always getinng shouted at for one thing or another, and i want to be independant!

ive tried to get a job, but noones hiring. :mad:

what do i do

ReputationRep:
    How much your parents earn will have no impact on whether or not you get a student loan - you can get a non-income assessed loan, and just not get a grant.

The loan, plus a job whilst at university, will be enough.

ReputationRep:
    what about like casual work in a local bar or something?

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can get a loan. Go away and do some reading!

ReputationRep:
    can i apply for accomdation, and not accept ittt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Of course you can get a loan. Go away and do some reading!
    i can get 915 a year.
    hardly an impact on the 4500 and not to mention food etc.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would you want to do that unless you intend to commit fraud by living at home while claiming you are living away from home and thus getting more money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisVuitton43)
    i can get 915 a year.
    hardly an impact on the 4500 and not to mention food etc.
    You can get £3,564 a year.

ReputationRep:
    A family income of over £55,550 then. They can help you, they just won't.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would you want to do that unless you intend to commit fraud by living at home while claiming you are living away from home and thus getting more money?

cos my parents havent really discussed accom. just said no and refused to speak about it, and i really want to. but tbh, i would need an ensuite, and there are only 391 places, so if i dont apply soon i might not be able to.

ReputationRep:
    A family income of over £55,550 then. They can help you, they just won't.

yes.
    building a new house at the moment, and lots of debt to pay off from last year. it was a slow year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    You can get £3,564 a year.
    not in Scotland you can't.

ReputationRep:
    going to uni in glasgow (most likely) and really cannot be bothered missing out and travelling an hour everyday just to get to uni.

the thing is, i cant get a student loan, as my parents earn too much, but they say they cant help me pay for accomodation???

(have IBS, so would kind of need ensuite, which is like £4500, plus have food intolerances, so food would be more expensive for me)

anyway, i havent saved anything up, i thought my parents kept money by for me or would pay for it another way (didnt think much about it before now), but they didnt (im the youngest )

i realllyyyy want to move out, i hate the atmosphere in my house, i hate my sister (and by hate, i really do mean that) and im always getinng shouted at for one thing or another, and i want to be independant!

what do i do

I've never read a post i can relate to more. Literally everything (except i'm not going to uni in scotland), the IBS, the sister issues. I've been looking for a job for 4/5 months or so, no luck there either. Don't know what to say, except i know exxxaaactly what your talking about.
    Sorry, i'm no help really. All i know is that i'll be in alot of debt after uni. I'm starting to worry alot now, but i'm sure things will sort them selves out :yep:...hopefully.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:

what do i do
    Mcdonalds? It's not pretty but it does pay

Bank loans? You could get a student loan off the bank and py it back after 4th years

ReputationRep:
    would going to a uni in england make a difference?

I am sorry to hear about what you're going through op, i find it so frustrating that the way in which student finance is regulated gives some people more opportunity than others in cases where parents might earn the money but won't necessarily give it to you. (ETA: and I'm really unhappy about how this system gives parents the option to manipulate their childs future, it must really suck if, say for example your parents didn't want you to move out because the fact that the money's in their hands gives them an unreasonable ammount of power over you)

It's so unfair that student loans assume that parents will help if they earn X ammount, it's as crazy as saying because you earn a certain ammount, it WILL be spent on xyz and we know that (and of course, they don't)

ReputationRep:
    not in Scotland you can't.
    My apologies; somehow glossed over that bit.

ReputationRep:
    1, you dont have to move out to miss out you can always get taxis back

2, think of the advantages of living at home - your mum helps you with food/washing/living

3, keep trying to look for work and sign up for anything your uni does such as student ambassador

4, if your parents cant afford for you to go to student living and you havent saved. I hate to say it but you are limited try and save up in your first two yrs/three years and move out for your fourth

5, chances are your be leaving early and returning late and staying in your room writing up notes and essays. Can you and your mum not sit and talk about becoming more independant whilst living at home?

6: Just apply for everything student loan/grant wise and budget well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphire_Eyes)
    1, you dont have to move out to miss out you can always get taxis back

2, think of the advantages of living at home - your mum helps you with food/washing/living

3, keep trying to look for work and sign up for anything your uni does such as student ambassador

4, if your parents cant afford for you to go to student living and you havent saved. I hate to say it but you are limited try and save up in your first two yrs/three years and move out for your fourth

5, chances are your be leaving early and returning late and staying in your room writing up notes and essays. Can you and your mum not sit and talk about becoming more independant whilst living at home?

6: Just apply for everything student loan/grant wise and budget well.

hmmm. some good points.
    however taxi would cost around £50... so thats not REALLY an option, would have to crash at people (but i think everyone whos going to ggow who i no is going into halls)
    mite think about staying at home.... but REFUSE to get a bus everyday (get bus sick )
    idk, havent decided really.
    always one way or the other
    money // friends and the whole blah blah.

its such a confusing decision!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.