Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

errrr...why arent i losing weight? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin_love)
    Smoothies are healthy, but not a great way to lose weight. Same with nuts etc. They're very fattening! Why not try this?

Breakfast: Salt and Vinegar Snack-a-jacks with hummus
    Lunch: Some fruit or a rice pudding pot or something small
    Dinner: Fish or Chicken with green vegetables

If you need to snack there are these amazing jellys that are like 7 calories per a pot and come in loads of different flavours This is fun dieting because all the food tastes so good!

Maybe up your exercise to an hour as well? 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the afternoon to break it up or something? Or just try walking more.
    This sounds completely untenable, and likely to lead to some serious binging.

Essentially, first 8/9 hours of the day on a pack of crisps and some fruit and an hour of exercise on top of that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    lol at that last post ..
    wantsto do medicine and all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWhitestGirlAlive)
    you're probably eating more than you think >_< count calories, if you really wanna lose weight stick to under 1200 a day, even if you do this and no exercise you should lose 1-2lbs a week....
    http://www.losertown.org/eats/cal.php
    use this site i love it (: whats your BMI by the way? because if you're already underweight it will take longer to see results
    according to the calculator come 2012 olympics I am going to be over 150kgs....from my current weight of 88kg if I carry on the way I am. My eyes are now fully open...great site!

I've put into favourites and put it as my homepage......probably going to put it as my facebook status and recommend it to all my friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    according to the calculator come 2012 olympics I am going to be over 150kgs....from my current weight of 88kg if I carry on the way I am. My eyes are now fully open...great site!

I've put into favourites and put it as my homepage......probably going to put it as my facebook status and recommend it to all my friends.

tbh i found that site to be pretty good for me

ReputationRep:
    The person who posted that losertown site must be a troll and I feel embarrassed I fell for it.......the site is hilarious.....everything about it is hilarious. From the banner that is some slum.....the fact it's clearly made by a 14 year old girl....the advertisement around it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    tbh i found that site to be pretty good for me
    what that weight calculator thingy???? it's far too extreme in both gaining weight and losing weight and takes not much into account. It's tripe.....once again encouraging quick fixes for fat and body shape which people have been abusing for years and want an over night fix. Yet they then just put themselves on a roller coaster of messed up emotions.

Ignore that site..try eating healthy and carry on with doing some training..you're losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    Smoothies are healthy, but not a great way to lose weight. Same with nuts etc. They're very fattening! Why not try this?

Breakfast: Salt and Vinegar Snack-a-jacks with hummus
    Lunch: Some fruit or a rice pudding pot or something small
    Dinner: Fish or Chicken with green vegetables

If you need to snack there are these amazing jellys that are like 7 calories per a pot and come in loads of different flavours This is fun dieting because all the food tastes so good!

Maybe up your exercise to an hour as well? 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the afternoon to break it up or something? Or just try walking more.
    Some of the worst advice ever, OP steer clear.

ReputationRep:
    You know OP you have just witnessed TSRs exclusive

Entertaining Torrent of ****** Advice!!!

:awesome:

Pretty much every single one of them.

Train harder, dying after 30 minutes is ******* LOL, you must be seriously unfit if you feel that way. Also be truthful to yourself, I doubt what you posted is what you're really eating so dont create an illusion to deceive yourself. Also moderate the carbs, cut back on the carbohydrate meals on the days you rest/after you train. Also try to cut and increase portions. Eating three times a day? Bin it, reduce the portions and switch to five times a day. If the smoothies arent personally blended drop em, but don't drop the fruit, in fact fruit should be one of the few complex carbohydrate sources you have. As you know complex carbs are the ones that dont take much of a dietary toll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    This sounds completely untenable, and likely to lead to some serious binging.

Essentially, first 8/9 hours of the day on a pack of crisps and some fruit and an hour of exercise on top of that?
    Well it works for me... I've lost a stone and a half over a few months. It leads to a sensible amount of weight loss and then when you stop the exercise your weight stays constant. It depends how strict you're going to be with yourself and whether you have the will power to stick to it or not.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    you're probably eating more than you think >_< count calories, if you really wanna lose weight stick to under 1200 a day, even if you do this and no exercise you should lose 1-2lbs a week....
    use this site i love it (: whats your BMI by the way? because if you're already underweight it will take longer to see results
    according to that I could make myself underweight in the space of a year

Thats so awesome

ReputationRep:
    Well it works for me... I've lost a stone and a half over a few months. It leads to a sensible amount of weight loss and then when you stop the exercise your weight stays constant. It depends how strict you're going to be with yourself and whether you have the will power to stick to it or not.
    Willpower isn't the point, it's just not healthy.

What I don't understand is how, on that diet alone, your weight could stay at a constant. You're probably consuming less than 1000 calories a day.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone for the replies i will try cutting out the smoothies (i make them myself) and see if that helps, i think it was a way to satisfy my sweet tooth without turning to processed sugar (im hypoglycaemic you see)

will post my routine/regime a bit later when i have more time x

ReputationRep:
    Total ****!!!! its not sensible, not healthy and most of the 'weight' you have lost will be muscle tissue and fluids - so basically you have a higher bf% than wen you started fatty!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh you are probably not eating the right things. Check out this site http://dailyburn.com/ in the nutrition log you can log everything you eat. The search function is great and has hundreds of thousands of foods. You can also log your workouts and your body weight. If you give it your current weight and goals, it will set out a nutrition plan for you, with goals for calorie, fat, carb and protein. Also there are great challenges and motivation bits and a forum to chat with other members. And the best bit: its FREE.

:lolwut: this is not a good idea... you mean at least 1200 a day and up to 1800

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Total ****!!!! its not sensible, not healthy and most of the 'weight' you have lost will be muscle tissue and fluids - so basically you have a higher bf% than wen you started fatty!
    That's not true. While it is a pretty extreme diet, the body will still primarily use your fat stores to feed itself when it needs energy — which is all the time. The most fat your body can realistically burn in a week this way is about three pounds; if you're losing more than that then you most probably are burning muscle.

This obviously gets a lot more complicated once you start getting towards the kind of weight you should ideally be at, and that's when you need to make sure you slowly transition to something sustainable and sensible. But if you're properly overweight and especially if you're obese, considerable calorie reduction is the way to go.

Of course I don't know what size the parties involved are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TarantuLove)
    I am eating clean (white meats/fish, only good carbs, lots of fruit smoothies with nuts/seeds etc) and I'm exercising for about half an hour every day (and it makes me feel like I'm going to die :p: ) yet my weight hasnt shifted AT ALL, and I've been doing this for a month. I still have hugeamongus thighs and everything seems just as wobbly! :p:

Any ideas?
    I think it might be the fruit smoothies? They may seem healthy but pack absurd levels of sugar!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Most of this advice in this forum is FAIL AND ROFLCAKES seriously, no wonder people fail hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan W)
    That's not true. While it is a pretty extreme diet, the body will still primarily use your fat stores to feed itself when it needs energy — which is all the time. The most fat your body can realistically burn in a week this way is about three pounds; if you're losing more than that then you most probably are burning muscle.

This obviously gets a lot more complicated once you start getting towards the kind of weight you should ideally be at, and that's when you need to make sure you slowly transition to something sustainable and sensible. But if you're properly overweight and especially if you're obese, considerable calorie reduction is the way to go.

Of course I don't know what size the parties involved are.
    the body actually breaks down muscle stores before fat stores.

ReputationRep:
    There's no hard-set rule for this because the body is complicated and many factors such as exercise, duration of calorie deficiency, etc will have an effect on what's burnt when. But generally, if you're overweight and not completely starving yourself your body will burn through fat rapidly — to a certain point.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.