Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I take it you didn't do well, eh.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what the OP got / has got / has been predicted ?

ReputationRep:
    Well, considering that I didn't read any of the books we had to do for GCSE English and always did my physics homework in English classes and still got an A, I'd have to agree with the OP. GCSE English really doesn't help your spelling and grammar and general communication skills that much. They should introduce some kind of exam which tested actual language skills and then have an optional English Literature exam for people who wanted to study literature in depth. I know they do have these as separate exams nowadays but English Language is still full of literature. I remember when we were forced to read Pride and Prejudice (although, as i say, it was something that i managed to avoid) and the discussions which followed were so incredibly tedious.

I remember when i was in year 9 and we were given English grammar lessons. They were half an hour each week and covered all your basics like nouns, adjectives etc. and then went onto things such as formal letter writing and writing styles in different types of publication. Those lessons were brilliant and i learnt so much about English from them. Far far more than from GCSE English. And we only had half an hour of grammar a week compared to 5 hrs of English GCSE a week. That's what English should be like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    I think it's ridiculous that English people only have to study English up to gcse, here in Scotland most people study it until they're 17.
    And yet I still can't understand a word the Scots say.

Only joking.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.