Turn on thread page Beta

I feel geeky and awkward. watch

Announcements

Since school I've become a lot more confident in myself and have made lots of new friends at uni. But everytime I come back to my hometown memories of how shy and geeky I was in school come flooding back to me and I assume my old personality. I remember getting on with everyone at school but always felt looked down upon by the cool, popular girls. These girls weren't chave either, they were pretty clever, attractive, confident etc. I just wish I could let go of the past and feel comfortable in the knowledge that I am nowhere near as socially awkward and shy as I used to be in school. Does anyone else ever feel like this?

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to TSR you feel right at home here.

Seriously I think we all feel like this sometimes, but you really need to act yourself and thus act naturally, stop worrying about the past!

ReputationRep:
    I feel a bit geeky sometimes, but we are who we are. I dont think theres anything wrong with being a bit geeky and awkward sometimes, it can be cute, but you have to remember that was then and this is now. It sounds like you changed for the better so dont dwell on the past and look at what you have now.

ReputationRep:
    I feel geeky and awkward pretty much 95% of the time...but i just have to accept it, and therefore embrace it as it is who i am :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to my world. There's nibbles round the back.

ReputationRep:
    i am geeky and awkward.but i like it

ReputationRep:
    I'm the most awkward person ever, if that makes you feel any better.
    Lulz.

Chin up, girl. Stop worrying about the past.
    x

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'm awkward too. I know how you feel

This thread makes me feel better!

ReputationRep:
    School is such a small part of your life so forget how you were then because how you are now is you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Welcome to TSR
    Exactly what I was going to say! :yep:

TSR: the place where being awkward and geeky is not only accepted, it is expected.

ReputationRep:
    It's in the past now. Just try to laugh off those old days and look at them in a more positive life, that should help.
    You sound alot different now, just need to accept that and move on (:

(Original post by Broderss)
    School is such a small part of your life so forget how you were then because how you are now is you.
    I know, I keep telling myself that. But I almost have the urge to prove to my old school friends that I am different than how I was then..which is a little childish of me, especially as I don't even like them!

ReputationRep:
    Ive accepted Im geeky and so counteracted the awkward. I like being geeky i dont think its embarrassing anymore as there are so many of us now out in the open!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikecookies)
    i am chinese.but i like it
    fixed

I used to feel a little like this, being as I was quiet but forgettable for much of my secondary school life. I mostly just hid my nose in a book and said awkward things.

Yet my experience as an adult has been that the girls who used to make me feel particularly like a social malfunction have mostly grown up into decent human beings. Secondary school's a pressured and horrific time for everyone - it never shows people at their best.

Just chatting to them really helped me get over school. Saying hello, asking how they are, and being as normal and friendly as I know myself to be, worked a million times better than any vanity trip or resentful jibes would have done. It made me feel even more like a new person.

You say you want to show them that you're different now - so do it. Act normally. Smile. Say hi, if it's appropriate. Don't duck your head and feel embarrassed. If you do that, then what's changed?!

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel. At school, I was always told I was really awkward looking, I walked like an "arthritic amoeba" (I don't even know what that's supposed to mean), people made fun of my voice a bit, I was known for being one of the geekiest, etc. Though it didn't stop me having friends and stuff, I just felt a little self-conscious. Now I'm at uni, I feel like I fit in perfectly; I think that's partly to do with where I am, but still, if anything, I'm one of the less hard-working now. I go out to clubs a fair amount and stuff. However, when I went home over christmas, I immediately felt like the awkward one again; I went to a club with some friends and just felt like I didn't really fit in there. Unfortunately I can't help you with a solution, but you're not alone :p:

(Original post by Bezzler)
    I know exactly how you feel. At school, I was always told I was really awkward looking, I walked like an "arthritic amoeba" (I don't even know what that's supposed to mean), people made fun of my voice a bit, I was known for being one of the geekiest, etc. Though it didn't stop me having friends and stuff, I just felt a little self-conscious. Now I'm at uni, I feel like I fit in perfectly; I think that's partly to do with where I am, but still, if anything, I'm one of the less hard-working now. I go out to clubs a fair amount and stuff. However, when I went home over christmas, I immediately felt like the awkward one again; I went to a club with some friends and just felt like I didn't really fit in there. Unfortunately I can't help you with a solution, but you're not alone :p:
    :rofl: - arthiritic amoeba!

I know how you feel about coming home for Christmas, I never fit in with the clubs and people back home.

ReputationRep:
    go to a gig, dance like an idiot, you will feel better

Who doesn't?

\mathrm{Being\ a\ member\ of\ TSR} \Longrightarrow \mathrm{One\ is\ geeky\ and\ awkward} :fyi:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.