Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive just sold something on ebay and the buyer has paid the required amount of £129 to my paypal account. However I have only actually recieved £123.77 because a fee of £5.23 has been charged:confused: Paypal says it doesn't charge fees for adding or withdrawing cash but banks might. So what am I suppsoed to do demand the £5.23 off the seller even if its not her fault her bank has charged?

ReputationRep:
    uh i think you get charged for receiving cash from someones credit card/debit card.

Just put up with it really. its pretty much how ebay/paypal works =/

ReputationRep:
    Paypal do take fees on most transactions, its just an accepted part of using Paypal. You trade the small fee for the convenience of using their services.

Personal/gift transactions do not have any fees but only if the money comes straight from a bank account.

ReputationRep:
    it charges for transerring money, but not to add or withdraw to the paypal account

ReputationRep:
    when you sell something on ebay, and the person pays through paypal you pay a fee, not sure exactly but a fiver seems about right.

you cant demand nothing from the buyer, as they have paid 129 and you are responsible for paying the paypal fee

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure it's not your bank/paypal that's charged the incoming amount? Her bank would have charged a fee on top of the amount, surely, to avoid this sort of thing if they were going to charge.

ReputationRep:
    It's completely normal for you to be charged by paypal when receiving payment from eBay sales. They charge you something like 2/3%, they've got to make money somehow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Are you sure it's not your bank/paypal that's charged the incoming amount? Her bank would have charged a fee on top of the amount, surely, to avoid this sort of thing if they were going to charge.
    my bank has had nothing to do with it she has just sent money to my paypal account.

I didn't know they charged I never noticed it in the past its probably alright then, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodLife)
    my bank has had nothing to do with it she has just sent money to my paypal account.

I didn't know they charged I never noticed it in the past its probably alright then, thanks.
    Ebay charges for making a listing too. Known as sellers fees.

ReputationRep:
    PayPal transaction fees - clicky.

It's normal, I'm afraid. That's how PayPal make their money! If you click on the "Details" link against the transaction in your account, you should see the fee being deducted from the amount that you receive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    Ebay charges for making a listing too. Known as sellers fees.
    I'm sure that you probably know this, but for the benefit of people who are unfamiliar with eBay, eBay seller fees are not automatically netted off the amount that you receive if you take payment via PayPal. These will sit as an unpaid balance on your eBay account until they're collected at the end of each month (though you can make a manual payment whenever you like). This thread's actually just reminded me that I have a balance to clear myself from a recent eBay sale! :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    I'm sure that you probably know this, but for the benefit of people who are unfamiliar with eBay, eBay seller fees are not automatically netted off the amount that you receive if you take payment via PayPal. These will sit as an unpaid balance on your eBay account until they're collected at the end of each month (though you can make a manual payment whenever you like). This thread's actually just reminded me that I have a balance to clear myself from a recent eBay sale! :o:
    Haha you just reminded me that they collect it every month. I forget it's not counted with the actual balance. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    it's probably the the fee for selling an item. I was shocked when i realised this. I now read ALL the small print :yy:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.