Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think humans will become immortal due to medical and technological leaps? watch

ReputationRep:
    In the future perhaps?

You do have species such as Turritopsis nutricula, a jellyfish and hydras which are biologically immortal.

Do you think thats a good thing or a bad thing, being immortal that is.
    I mean you can still be killed by a fatal wound but not age...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Someone was watching that theory show. I loved the guys beard.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, no.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon that immortality will be available before the end of the century, either through consciousness storage devices of some kind, as mind-machine interfacing is coming along very quickly, or perhaps some form of cloned body/cellular rejuvenation of your existing body.

ReputationRep:
    Do I think it will be possible in the future? Yes
    Do I think it will be economically viable/affordable to the average person? Defiantly not

ReputationRep:
    I hope not.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we'll ever become immortal; we might begin to de-evolve, due to no longer needing the same mental and physical strength. Most people now don't need to know how to spell, or calculate things. It's all being done for us by the inventions of a few bright sparks, the whole population will never be immortal and I don't think it should be - why live forever when it's only going to end up a **** hole? There are already to many old people in England - not enough children so they'll have to work until there SERIOUSLY OLD, one foot in the grave kind o thing to fund society. Where's the fun in that?

ReputationRep:
    but dying is a part of life :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    No. Life expectancy might increase due to technological advancement.
    However death is one of the certainties of life and is inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we will know that we are immortal until something happens to us where we would ordinarily die.

For example if you were living in 16th century Scotland and were in a battle between your clan and another, and a big ancient warrior stabbed you with his big sword you would ordinarily die.

However you might awake and later find out you are impervious to harm unless you are decapitated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeter than a cherry pie)
    I hope not.
    why?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think Bill Gates is planning to do? Die peacefully in his sleep? You can't steal other people's technology when you're dead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    No. Life expectancy might increase due to technological advancement.
    However death is one of the certainties of life and is inevitable.
    You underestimate the power of human ingenuity, methinks.

ReputationRep:
    why?
    Big Brother contestants + immortality.

See the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Yet you underestimate the ability of diseases to arise from nowhere or adapt. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think it will in the future and I hope it occurs right before my old age I always wanted to live for ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCalfine)
    Yet you underestimate the ability of diseases to arise from nowhere or adapt. :p:
    You under-estimate our ability to leave our bodies.

I see a lot of obsession with "ahh! But you can't be immortal if you're HUMAN!" to which the simple response is "You stop being human". That is the real path to immortality and we are already walking down it with Iraq/Afghanistan driving massive investments in prothestics.

When they are better then your natural limbs and surgery techniques have improved it would be logical to make the transition. At the moment we are repairing what we've currently got - boob jobs; laser eye surgery etc. At current rates of progress it will not take long to be "better" then your natural body. I give it till 2020 to be in the labs but 2030 to be more available.

ReputationRep:
    Rest assured, TSR, when I become a successful entrepreneur in the near future I will endeavour to make this a possibility for myself and my colony of superior beings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Humans throughout history have chased immortality. Many myths and tales have risen about this. Science and technology is just the current 'tale' in trying to achieve this unachievable task and will go down in history alongside the 'fountain of youth' and other quests for immortality.

I think it'll happen in the not too distant future. Not biological immortality... but transferring human consciousness to machines at some point is pretty much inevitable.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.