The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, what a dumb thread.
Dont care if someone quotes me on it, but seriously o.0 it just doesn't sound any what similar to this dimension and comparing it to moon lol.
My 2 cents.
Reply 61
Chibelta
Well no, not initially, but what difference would it be being on a different planet?? The temperature, atmosphere and pressure etc would be different, but we would be still doing the same things?

Are you not aware of how immensely vast and powerful space actually is? There are so many infinite mysteries to be explained, in every school of thought it is simply incredible. I suppose those with small imaginations and expectations like yourself would simply die out. Evolution :yy: :yy:
Chibelta
Well no, not initially, but what difference would it be being on a different planet?? The temperature, atmosphere and pressure etc would be different, but we would be still doing the same things?

Wouldn't we be talking of some mutant humans? with different environment comes different changes the whole anatomical structure.It just doesn't roundup to say immortal lol i mean come on even planets, stars have a limit.
Reply 63
Aeolus
Are you not aware of how immensely vast and powerful space actually is? There are so many infinite mysteries to be explained, in every school of thought it is simply incredible. I suppose those with small imaginations and expectations like yourself would simply die out. Evolution :yy: :yy:

Hey, that is mean. :eek:

I know how vast the dimensions of space could be - I think about it loads, it's just after a few billion years of hanging around flying in like the 11th dimension it'd be a bit boring, right?

For the first few hundred years, yes amazingm but once you've done everything, if there is an everything, then you'd be like, oh. Great fun. At least this way we die not understanding the vastness of everything.
Reply 64
ibysaiyan
Wouldn't we be talking of some mutant humans? with different environment comes different changes the whole anatomical structure.It just doesn't roundup to say immortal lol i mean come on even planets, stars have a limit.

This is like, my point. We wouldn't be able to live on different planets all at once, and even if we could we'd still be doing human things like eating.
Yes, with stem cell research, genetic engineering and a bit of magic with telemeres.
Being killed would be so much more tragic if you have the potential to live forever.
Reply 67
Chibelta
we'd still be doing human things like eating.

The poverty of your imagination continues to astonish me. Why on earth do you think we'd still be eating food? We eat to provide ourselves with energy, how many other systems of extracting energy surround us? If we're around for millions of years - don't you think we'd utilize them?

Why do you talk of other planets, I simply do not understand it. It would make sense to mine asteroids and use the energy of the sun to manufacture star-sized space ships. Imagine if we surrounded the sun entirely with solar panels - just how VAST the amount of energy we would have would be. We could do anything allowed within the laws of physics, virtually.

We would not just experience the external world but rather we could easily create internal ones with virtual realities. I think the ultimate outcome would be the development of a galaxy-sized concious, harnessing all the energy/matter content of a galaxy, 400 billion stars in the milky way to pursue pure thought.

Here is the size of your planet relative to the size of your star. Remember there are 400 billion of them and that we're just average.

Reply 68
cor898
but dying is a part of life :awesome:

Or the end of life lol
I don't think humans will be immortal. We may live longer, but as technology advantages, so does its improvements on killing. World War I saw advanced technology like chemical warfare that killed more people than in the past.
There will be no space for everyone on earth. Plus what about cancer, heart attacks etc. It's not just old age that kills.
thunder_chunky
I don't think we will know that we are immortal until something happens to us where we would ordinarily die.

For example if you were living in 16th century Scotland and were in a battle between your clan and another, and a big ancient warrior stabbed you with his big sword you would ordinarily die.

However you might awake and later find out you are impervious to harm unless you are decapitated.

I am Connor Mccloud of the clan Mccloud.

Anyway the best I would hope for would to be more youthful in my older age i.e when I am 30 to be where I was at 25 energy and complexion etc wise and at 40 to be more like 30.
Reply 72
Unlikely, but even if it was possible to achieve immortality, would you really want to? Besides, I doubt these hypothetical technological/medical advances would ever be made available to the masses- imagine the overcrowding issues!
A lot of people are under a misguided assumption that just because we're living longer now than before, we're living those extra years in good health. We're not. More people are living longer due to medical and other advacements over the years but we're living more of those years in poor health. And remember this: the reason life expectancy has improved over the years is because we've been eliminating the reasons of premature death (war, famine, disease).
if humans didnt die they would have no reason to live. so i hope not.

Latest