Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im am stuck between Bath and Bristol.
    Do anyone study modern languages, specifically Spanish and Italian at either of these universities?
    Is anyone in a similar situation?
    Which university would give me better job prospects?
    Any replies are much appreciated

Muchas Gracias
    Grazie

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure on this one, having only applied to Bath.
    Trying asking in here: Modern Language Applicants Thread as there's a few people I think in the same position.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh Thank you!
    So which languages have you applied for?
    What attracted you to Bath?
    Have you put it as a firm choice?
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Welcome
    German and Russian - I don't have an offer yet tho If I get one I'll put it as my insurance methinks, as I've really got my heart set on Southampton.
    I liked the course more than anything, not that keen on where Bath uni is placed lol. And the town is pretty, but there's not much happening.

ReputationRep:
    You should speak to marian, she has offers for both

i have an offer for bath but i couldn't comment.... my heart lives in southampton

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck!!
    Some people in my school have there hearts set
    on Southampton, must be pretty good
    Yeh same here I liked the course. Well, I kind of thought that but then noticed they do a weekly bus to Bristol for nightlife and I also checked out some threads on the nightlife. But there are mixed reviews tbh.
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    You should speak to marian, she has offers for both

i have an offer for bath but i couldn't comment.... my heart lives in southampton
    May I ask, who's Marian? :/

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you like both unis?
    I was in Bath today and really decided it wasn't for me.

ReputationRep:
    Well to be honest,
    I like different things about them both,
    I like the fact that Bath is easily accessible and
    I love the course. Especially since there's the opportunity to take up a third language. Also, I like some of the societies on offer.
    However, I'm not sure if there's a lot going on in Bath and I'm attracted to Bristol city. Even though after today's open day I feel that I will most definately get lost as I can be a bit "dippy " at times. Also, I do like the Bristol course and the choice that is available. So, basically I'm undecided. What didn't you like about Bath?
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almvp)
    May I ask, who's Marian? :/
    I meant Marilyn :p:

(Original post by xmarilynx)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=254226

ReputationRep:
    Go to Bristol!

My friend went to the open day this week (he has an offer for Italian and Spanish) and he said it's great the staff are apparently really nice.

I'm going down next month.
    (I know nowt about Bath)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    Go to Bristol!

My friend went to the open day this week (he has an offer for Italian and Spanish) and he said it's great the staff are apparently really nice.

I'm going down next month.
    (I know nowt about Bath)
    Yeh I went there too and I liked it. I was just a bit put off by the accomadation in Stoke Bishop as it was a 35-40 minute walk away.
    I agree the staff are really nice . What are you going to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almvp)
    Yeh I went there too and I liked it. I was just a bit put off by the accomadation in Stoke Bishop as it was a 35-40 minute walk away.
    I agree the staff are really nice . What are you going to study?
    I'm just doing Italian on its own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    I'm just doing Italian on its own.
    Ooh lovely! I cant wait to start learning Italian as i'll be doing it as an ab initio course. Hope you enjoy the open day!

ReputationRep:
    Just saying as a Bristol student, don't let the Stoke Bishop hall locations put you off... sounds like something taken straight out of the prospectus but it really does help you make friends as you all kind of wander back after lectures and you get to know people on your course so well because of it. Plus, the atmosphere in Stoke Bishop is amazing, it's like a proper student village Aw, now I've got the 'damn I miss it' 3rd year blues...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almvp)
    Well to be honest,
    I like different things about them both,
    I like the fact that Bath is easily accessible and
    I love the course. Especially since there's the opportunity to take up a third language. Also, I like some of the societies on offer.
    However, I'm not sure if there's a lot going on in Bath and I'm attracted to Bristol city. Even though after today's open day I feel that I will most definitely get lost as I can be a bit "dippy " at times. Also, I do like the Bristol course and the choice that is available. So, basically I'm undecided. What didn't you like about Bath?
    x
    (Sorry I took so long to reply!)
    In the past I have loved Bath as a town but going back to the uni i just felt it wan't for me. I can't quite put my finger on what it was, but the Uni just wasn't right. There were a few things (and so, not trying to sound too negative here they are):
    - It was too quiet on campus - not exciting enough
    - None of the lecturers excited me very much - I didn't meet someone and think "wow" I'd love to listen to you talk about chemistry for 2 hours!!
    - None of the students I met were vibrant... I'm sure there are exciting people there.. just unfortunately not the ones I met...
    - The other applicants weren't chatty! In every session virtually no questions were asked and I found I had to put in a lot of effort to strike up conversation between activities..
    - The SU wasn't as nice as others I had seen recently (eg Warwick)

Obviously the uni just isn't right for me but if you don't feel these things don't let them sway you!

Oh and also, they were asking for AAA (bad times!), but Warwick who I had seen the week before were only asking for BBB and I would have much rather gone to Warwick, even if the offers were reversed!!

How're you feeling anyway? Gravitating towards a choice yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    (Sorry I took so long to reply!)
    In the past I have loved Bath as a town but going back to the uni i just felt it wan't for me. I can't quite put my finger on what it was, but the Uni just wasn't right. There were a few things (and so, not trying to sound too negative here they are):
    - It was too quiet on campus - not exciting enough
    - None of the lecturers excited me very much - I didn't meet someone and think "wow" I'd love to listen to you talk about chemistry for 2 hours!!
    - None of the students I met were vibrant... I'm sure there are exciting people there.. just unfortunately not the ones I met...
    - The other applicants weren't chatty! In every session virtually no questions were asked and I found I had to put in a lot of effort to strike up conversation between activities..
    - The SU wasn't as nice as others I had seen recently (eg Warwick)

Obviously the uni just isn't right for me but if you don't feel these things don't let them sway you!

Oh and also, they were asking for AAA (bad times!), but Warwick who I had seen the week before were only asking for BBB and I would have much rather gone to Warwick, even if the offers were reversed!!

How're you feeling anyway? Gravitating towards a choice yet?
    Umm lately im really going towards Bristol
    It was between Bath and Bristol as they're both really good uni's for my course. Recently however im more for Bristol, especially since the post offer open day. But, yehh im pretty certain that i'll firm Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almvp)
    Umm lately im really going towards Bristol
    It was between Bath and Bristol as they're both really good uni's for my course. Recently however im more for Bristol, especially since the post offer open day. But, yehh im pretty certain that i'll firm Bristol
    yay! Glad you've made more of a decision.
    I still haven't heard from Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    yay! Glad you've made more of a decision.
    I still haven't heard from Bristol
    ahh thank you well im sure you will hear soon they do take forever mind don't they
    Good Luck!! and whatever happens you already have great offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almvp)
    ahh thank you well im sure you will hear soon they do take forever mind don't they
    Good Luck!! and whatever happens you already have great offers!
    They really are taking their time aren't they!
    Well thank you very much - all the best for your choises too!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.